Pandemic - What is keeping you busy?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Pandemic - What is keeping you busy?

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Also, lolollolol at the nav lights on the sup. That’s amazing.

Looking back on float trips we took, it was basically get a paper map and find a couple points easily connected by both roads and rivers and go. But yeah. Once you leave there is precisely one way out that’s any fun. I know for sure we didn’t take phones. I don’t even know if we had them. We probably didn’t have a plan b.

I can understand your love of paddling. For years after graduating I would try to convince friends at work or wherever to do it and they’d be like...wtf are you talking about. Even today I try to convince mrs aw who grew up in the flatland of Louisiana to go and it’s always a wtf he’ll no response.

Having little kids makes it impossible damn near but one day....

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Let me ask you real quick. Did it not freak you out being on the water at night on the 4th of July? My daughter broker her arm to the point of needing surgery and we missed the lake fireworks show where we keep the boat. Ended up going the day she got out of the hospital to the marina about 12 miles away which is a long way by a little pontoon boat standard that only goes about 20 mph and 10 or so at night due to ... well previous experiences... but shoot even with a bright as anchor light and navigation lights 2 massive spot lights and a motor I still kind of found myself in uncomfortable waters.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Freed I'm going to hit you up when I finally build my SUP fly fishing rig.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

How do you go about building a sup?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
December 10 20, 8:23 am
How do you go about building a sup?
I was surprised how many MR340 vessels are homemade. or heavily altered, customized. but its still same concept that ancient people were doing.

As far as SUP s -typically a buoyant foam pattern is cut for innards. then covered with either plastics/fiberglass. the one that my friend built is Kevlar coated hull and cedar plank top.
Then there are inflatables -some heavy duty rubber sealed together- some dudes in the SW MO are making some cool looking ones that I'm interested for Ozarks paddling- check these
https://ozarkriverwalkers.com Thrill, they have a good looking fishing SUP. its small enough place you could probably talk to them . I prefer the SUP for the Ozark float trips - seeing the river bottom - feeling the air. I can sit kneel when needed. btw, these Ozark River Walkers guys do some whitewater SUP, that isn't my thing ...yet. I hit class 2 and normally ride it on my knees -no need to ruin a lazy float with hitting my head on a rock

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

thrill wrote:
December 10 20, 8:07 am
I am planning on learning to fish. been watching Alone (survival show/competition) and fantasizing about what I'd do out there , differently and what skills i have,, and then realize i know little about fishing.

What do plan to do, work your way down a stream and get off at gravel bars etc, then move on,, or fish from the SUP or combo?
Last edited by Freed Roger on December 10 20, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
December 10 20, 1:52 am
Let me ask you real quick. Did it not freak you out being on the water at night on the 4th of July? My daughter broker her arm to the point of needing surgery and we missed the lake fireworks show where we keep the boat. Ended up going the day she got out of the hospital to the marina about 12 miles away which is a long way by a little pontoon boat standard that only goes about 20 mph and 10 or so at night due to ... well previous experiences... but shoot even with a bright as anchor light and navigation lights 2 massive spot lights and a motor I still kind of found myself in uncomfortable waters.
NAV lights i got for MR340, required. but technically required anyway by USCG. good to have, you can find where your friends went and vice versa.

night paddling - I'm guessing the awful urgency of your 4th July boating made it worse. We were just chilling drifting that night. also there was a full moon. -chatting with fishermen in motor boats at accesses that think paddlers are nuts especially SUPs. - I think the key safety difference is we are almost always going with the flow, not going against current,, crossing the river to get to a spot, or going to trees wingdikes and eddies for fish.

most my night paddling has been aided by full moon. and on the Missouri there is an app that can keep you in main channel for smoother waters,, typically away from logs, bouys, flying carp etc. (yes, a couple of IT guys that paddle wrote an app just for the MR340)

with testing out and chatting with other paddlers, I didn't use a big light on. like a headlamp light gives me tunnel vision, and you see nothing past the lighted area. I have Fenix flashlight in my pocket that I'd sweep with when necessary.

And MR340 is held during a full moon week. First night there was fog, and they really advise against paddling in it, but I had no place to get off river and paddled thru it for a couple hours until 4AM. probably 10 yards was the lowest visibility. I could always see the tree shadow on shores - but I've heard stories of not being able to see the shore and people up ending in dangerous side chutes etc. this was not my case. I could hear other paddlers that night, not see them except occassional nav light glow. I was nervous at first, but having that app that let me know I was in channel was a big deal. the app isn't foolproof, but some people that didn't have it, found me and tagged behind

2nd night of 340 I just passed Jeff City at dusk, and it gets very rural and dark until nearly Hermann. The moonrise over the bluffs was an hour later that night, so I had about 3 hrs in true dark. by that point I was tired and starting to hallucinate things . I just went slow, basically floated and didn't paddle. my hallucinations were pretty weird. I would see another boat, or something on shore, and know what it was, but couldn't make my brain form it into what it was. Trees are elephanrts. and castles like Lord of the Rings. but oddly instead of freaking out, you roll with it. oh there's another elephant.

my only real problem in 340 was I stopped in Portland MO that 2nd night. My friend/crew was on shore there set up a camp. Its a remote tiny access. I started looking for the access in paranoid state about half hour before I got there. I called my friend and he flashed his light, and went back to bed. I lost sense of the access around the bend. I phoned him and he met me on the small ramp, which is straight ramp with not much port, eddy area in high water. anyways. he grabbed the nose of my Sup on the ramp and my tail kept turning in the current and I fell in. it was cold shock. and the current started pulling me downstream. I managed forward a few feet and was safely in slow eddy and then clamored ashore. I had the shakes for hypothermic within a few minutes on shore - but quickly got in dry clothes and sleeping bag. whew. in the next AM light, the way off river there looked so easy. but not at night.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Freed Roger wrote:
December 10 20, 9:04 am
thrill wrote:
I am planning on learning to fish. been watching Alone (survival show/competition) and fantasizing about what I'd do out there , differently and what skills i have,, and then realize i know little about fishing.

What do plan to do, work your way down a stream and get off at gravel bars etc, then move on,, or fish from the SUP or combo?
Planning on cruising around the inlets and mangrove channels in Sarasota Bay fishing for Snook, Redfish, and occasional Tarpon. You can do river floats too, but I'm going to start in the Bay. You can fish from the SUP or get off in wadeable areas like beaches, sandbars, and islands that wouldn't otherwise be accessible.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I met a girl who is probably the love of my life.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

thrill wrote:
December 10 20, 3:07 pm
Freed Roger wrote:
December 10 20, 9:04 am
thrill wrote:

Planning on cruising around the inlets and mangrove channels in Sarasota Bay fishing for Snook, Redfish, and occasional Tarpon. You can do river floats too, but I'm going to start in the Bay. You can fish from the SUP or get off in wadeable areas like beaches, sandbars, and islands that wouldn't otherwise be accessible.
you won't need me. the people that do what you do and aspire to do will just appear magically.