Pandemic - What is keeping you busy?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: Pandemic - What is keeping you busy?

Post by Leroy »

riot's

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

heyzeus wrote:
January 4 21, 9:34 am
I feel like that's the exact cabinet set my parents had when I was a kid, Pioneer. My favorite records were both 7" singles - Neil Diamond's "We're Coming to America" and Quiet Riot's "Come On Feel The Noize." There's little wonder how I became a weird kid.
We had Michael Jackson's Thriller on vinyl and played the crap out of it.

I saw another Magnavox cabinet stereo at a consignment shop over the weekend. It may have been in slightly better shape than the one I got. It had an 8-track player which mine does not have. The receiver and record player were identical to mine though, but the record player on/off knob seemed to be working OK. The cabinet was slightly different, but not by much. The shop was asking $299 for it. I got mine for $15.88.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

pioneer98 wrote:
January 7 21, 8:51 pm
heyzeus wrote:
January 4 21, 9:34 am
I feel like that's the exact cabinet set my parents had when I was a kid, Pioneer. My favorite records were both 7" singles - Neil Diamond's "We're Coming to America" and Quiet Riot's "Come On Feel The Noize." There's little wonder how I became a weird kid.
We had Michael Jackson's Thriller on vinyl and played the crap out of it.

I saw another Magnavox cabinet stereo at a consignment shop over the weekend. It may have been in slightly better shape than the one I got. It had an 8-track player which mine does not have. The receiver and record player were identical to mine though, but the record player on/off knob seemed to be working OK. The cabinet was slightly different, but not by much. The shop was asking $299 for it. I got mine for $15.88.
We did too. Along with Huey Lewis and the News - "Sports"

Famous Mortimer
All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Remembering my PC can play Grand Theft Auto Online, and still being bad at the races.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

This old Magnavox has been more work than I expected. I bought a small bearing puller and I was able to get the two metal pieces apart that were stuck. I got them cleaned up and put everything back together and it worked! For a whole 3 days, everything seemed to be working perfectly. Then a new problem emerged. The turntable would start out really slow for a good minute or two, before speeding up. And while it would speed up, it never quite got up to full speed. It was at maybe 95% speed. Just a tad slow. I read up on this issue on the turntable forum, and it sounded like the culprit was a gummed up motor. So I took the motor apart and cleaned it up and put some 3 in 1 oil in it, as they suggested. After I put it back together, you'll never guess, but it wasn't quite working right. The turntable was really erratic speed-wise. I got it running though and just let it run without a record on it for like half an hour. Finally, I got it back to where it would spin at the correct speed. But yet another new problem popped up. When in auto mode, it would do everything right, but when it dropped the record onto the platter, that small jolt was enough to stop the turntable spinning. If I gave it a slight nudge, it would start spinning again and get to the right speed. I think the whole issue was I got a little oil on the spindle of the motor, and so it was slipping against the rubber idler wheel that turns the turntable. I got everything as dry as possible and now it's working again....for now.

When it's working, it has a really nice sound. Fingers crossed it stays fixed for longer than 3 days this time