Polar Vortex

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Polar Vortex

Post by heyzeus »

Day 3 of no water, but it should get above freezing. The good news is with no water I won’t know if my pipes burst til later.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

heyzeus wrote:
February 19 21, 7:23 am
Day 3 of no water, but it should get above freezing. The good news is with no water I won’t know if my pipes burst til later.
Shouldn't you have at least some indication now? They would have to be full of water to burst in the first place, so there would at least be dripping as the frozen water thaws.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Probably a little late to the party with this information, but if bursting pipes were a concern and there's no water anyway, it probably would have been wise to shut off the water at the meter and drain the water at the lowest pipe (usually a water spicket outside the house).

This sounds like a godawful mess, zeus, sorry for you and all texans that are going through it. Hope to see some warm weather here soon and that the thawing process is manageable.

That said, be careful around your house as all the snow will slide off and obviously a sheet of snow/ice the size of a roof poses threats.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
February 19 21, 8:46 am
Probably a little late to the party with this information, but if bursting pipes were a concern and there's no water anyway, it probably would have been wise to shut off the water at the meter and drain the water at the lowest pipe (usually a water spicket outside the house).
also prolly too late but ive been seeing a lot of posts like these

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

my san antonio brother sent an update text this morning. he feels fortunate that they must be on a lucky grid. their longest power outage was 12 hours...i think they've had intermittent outages but otherwise power has been ok for them. they are having water issues though, pipe burst, etc.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Popeye_Card wrote:
February 19 21, 8:42 am
heyzeus wrote:
February 19 21, 7:23 am
Shouldn't you have at least some indication now? They would have to be full of water to burst in the first place, so there would at least be dripping as the frozen water thaws.
The city says it will be a “multiple day process”. Because numerous water mains froze and burst. They don’t even know where or how many because everything is still frozen, and water has been off for days now.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Jocephus wrote:
February 19 21, 8:48 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
February 19 21, 8:46 am
also prolly too late but ive been seeing a lot of posts like these
Glad to see this information out there.

A couple years ago, I think 2018, we had a hard freeze. There was an elderly neighbor who had gone to stay with here son due to the inability to get out of her driveway once snow blanketed the street we live on. Regardless, mrs. AW texted her to see if she had left water dripping or anything and she said she hadn't. She asked what to do. So, I said I'd turn the water off at the meter and drain the lines since she wasn't going to be there. We have a key to her house but I didn't need it. Just turned the water off, then opened the faucet in the back of her house and let it drain. I wasn't sure if I should close the faucet or leave it open and went ahead and shut it off then covered it wiht one of those styrofoam faucet covers.

Turns out, she fell and broke her hip while at her sons which was unfortunate and had to go to a nursing home. I turned the water back on regardless about a week later and her son came over and we went through the house to make sure all the pipes were good which they were and they sold the house. I talked to the guy that bought it when he moved in and let him know what we had done a couple months previously and let him know that I'd help if anything was wrong but I didn't think anything should be. He confirmed a couple days after moving in everything worked well and there weren't any issues.

So, that was a relief. Always good to see a plan works even if the theory is there to suggest it will. Also, sounds like that's exactly what that guys is saying in the video.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

In North Dakota we just put booze in the pipes.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

And here I sit on 500 shares of GameStop.