Things you plan to do when this is all over

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Things you plan to do when this is all over

Post by Jocephus »

thrill wrote:
March 3 21, 2:32 pm
Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 1:13 pm
I'm totally going to buy one of those expensive douchebag premium fast passes to line cut. Let the children cry as my middle aged self walks past them!

The point of being an adult with disposable income is to do all of the things your parents were too cheap or afraid of spoiling you to let you do when you were a kid.

If you can afford the premium fast pass, and you don't buy one, you're basically telling child Michael to go f himself.

Also, re: that action park pic...how many g's you think gets pulled on that loop after building up such a head of speed?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Pa ... nball_Loop

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

IMADreamer wrote:
March 3 21, 2:28 pm
Doug is great, I love his videos! I agree the tech revolution in cars is awesome. It's one of the reasons I've been shopping for Audi RS5s. In fact Audi's entire line is just awesome. If you like tech check it out, I think he has done a few videos on them. Things like virtual [expletive] pit get me really excited to get one.
Some of his best video are on mundane cars that focus on a particular use. For example I don't have kids so this minivan review blew my mind. There are so many smart conveniences:

Or this truck that can be a on a work site:

Incredible stuff.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

thrill wrote:
Michael wrote:
I'm totally going to buy one of those expensive douchebag premium fast passes to line cut. Let the children cry as my middle aged self walks past them!
The point of being an adult with disposable income is to do all of the things your parents were too cheap or afraid of spoiling you to let you do when you were a kid.

If you can afford the premium fast pass, and you don't buy one, you're basically telling child Michael to go f himself.
The Fast Pass is a near-necessity at Cedar Point if you want to ride more than like 4 rides all day, unless you go on a weird weekday while school is in session.

FWIW, here are the unofficial Popeye_Card coaster/ride rankings at Cedar Point:

Tier 1: Steel Vengeance

Tier 2: Millennium Force, Maverick, Valravn

Tier 3: Raptor, Gatekeeper, Top Thrill Dragster

Tier 4: Rougarou, Wicked Twister, Magnum XL-200, MaxAir, Skyhawk

Tier 5: Everything else.

You want to ride Tier 1 and 2 no matter what the lines are. Tier 3 are worth it if the lines are moderate, and Tier 4 are worth it because the lines are usually fairly short - I'd skip them if the wait is more than like 20 minutes, but for the ones on Fast Pass you can usually hop right on. Steel Vengeance is in a class of its own, because it is probably the best roller coaster I have ever ridden. Maverick doesn't look like much, but it is a fantastically fun ride. Valravn is 5x better if you can sit in the front row. Gatekeeper isn't quite as good as it may look, but it is still a really fun ride. The Magnum used to be a really fun coaster, but it is so old now that it really beats up your body - fair warning. Some people really love the Dragster. I'm not really a fan because you wait in line forever, and the ride lasts like 5 seconds. Personally I only hit it up if the line is really short, but I included it in Tier 3 just because others like it so much.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 3 21, 3:39 pm
Tier 3: Top Thrill Dragster
My drag queen name.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

LOL

EDIT: A lot of the coaster names would make outstanding nicknames for one's boy parts.
Last edited by Popeye_Card on March 3 21, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 3 21, 3:39 pm
thrill wrote:
Michael wrote:

The Fast Pass is a near-necessity at Cedar Point if you want to ride more than like 4 rides all day, unless you go on a weird weekday while school is in session.

FWIW, here are the unofficial Popeye_Card coaster/ride rankings at Cedar Point:

Tier 1: Steel Vengeance

Tier 2: Millennium Force, Maverick, Valravn

Tier 3: Raptor, Gatekeeper, Top Thrill Dragster

Tier 4: Rougarou, Wicked Twister, Magnum XL-200, MaxAir, Skyhawk

Tier 5: Everything else.

You want to ride Tier 1 and 2 no matter what the lines are. Tier 3 are worth it if the lines are moderate, and Tier 4 are worth it because the lines are usually fairly short - I'd skip them if the wait is more than like 20 minutes, but for the ones on Fast Pass you can usually hop right on. Steel Vengeance is in a class of its own, because it is probably the best roller coaster I have ever ridden. Maverick doesn't look like much, but it is a fantastically fun ride. Valravn is 5x better if you can sit in the front row. Gatekeeper isn't quite as good as it may look, but it is still a really fun ride. The Magnum used to be a really fun coaster, but it is so old now that it really beats up your body - fair warning. Some people really love the Dragster. I'm not really a fan because you wait in line forever, and the ride lasts like 5 seconds. Personally I only hit it up if the line is really short, but I included it in Tier 3 just because others like it so much.
Great post! My initial reaction (based on other peoples opinions) to your ranking is Magnum XL-200 seems low, but I understand where you are coming from. As you note, Top Thrill Dragster seems to be divisive, but it is so different I have to experience it at least once. Valravn seems to rank higher for you than most people, but it seems you have it figured out.

Steel Vengeance is a GOAT and I must ride it.

I haven't decided what days I'm going to pick. I was thinking of doing a Sunday/Monday visit and staying in a hotel on site for extended park hours. My hope is on Monday the park is fairly empty.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 3:53 pm

Great post! My initial reaction (based on other peoples opinions) to your ranking is Magnum XL-200 seems low, but I understand where you are coming from. As you note, Top Thrill Dragster seems to be divisive, but it is so different I have to experience it at least once. Valravn seems to rank higher for you than most people, but it seems you have it figured out.

I haven't decided what days I'm going to pick. I was thinking of doing a Sunday/Monday visit and staying in a hotel on site for extended park hours. My hope is on Monday the park is fairly empty.
About 10 or so years ago, I loved the Magnum because it was still a great ride and had virtually no wait usually. But it has gone downhill. The last time I rode it, it hit a couple bumps on the track so hard that I popped up in my seat, bruising my quads on the lap bar. I'd still ride it but my wife won't, so we skip it now even if there's no line at all.

Some might consider Valravyn much like the Dragster. The initial drop is 95% of the ride's thrill, but it is a pretty awesome drop. Typically the lines aren't terrible for it so that kicks it up a couple notches too.

For planning purposes, you might be aware of isitpacked.com. I'd suggest going back to 2019 dates, since 2020 was so jacked up. But beware that some of the dates marked as "Ghost Town" outside of the core summer months may be misleading - I think the park is usually only open Thursday through Sunday in the spring and fall. An early June Sunday-Monday trip should be fairly open, and with a Fast Pass you would likely walk on to most rides. Steel Vengeance you may still have to wait 20-30 minutes. We usually start by heading to the back of the park where Steel Vengeance and Maverick are, then work our way to the front.

Going back to the subject of this thread, I hadn't thought about getting back to amusement parks as one of the first things I planned to do, but I guess it is. We were able to get 2020 season passes to Cedar Point for like $50 each in late 2019, then weren't able to use them at all last year. But they are carrying them over for 2021 use. So that will be pretty sweet if we are back to "normal" by the end of summer.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Things GRB is expert on:

-Legalized mary jane
-roller coasters
-cars
-punching the governor of Texas in the face
-Seinfeld references
-wearing old tshirts as underwear
-The complete Coen Brothers filmography (thanks Popeye)

-baseball

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

I feel like Coen Brothers movies should make that list.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Popeye_Card wrote:
March 3 21, 4:31 pm
Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 3:53 pm

About 10 or so years ago, I loved the Magnum because it was still a great ride and had virtually no wait usually. But it has gone downhill. The last time I rode it, it hit a couple bumps on the track so hard that I popped up in my seat, bruising my quads on the lap bar. I'd still ride it but my wife won't, so we skip it now even if there's no line at all.

Some might consider Valravyn much like the Dragster. The initial drop is 95% of the ride's thrill, but it is a pretty awesome drop. Typically the lines aren't terrible for it so that kicks it up a couple notches too.

For planning purposes, you might be aware of isitpacked.com. I'd suggest going back to 2019 dates, since 2020 was so jacked up. But beware that some of the dates marked as "Ghost Town" outside of the core summer months may be misleading - I think the park is usually only open Thursday through Sunday in the spring and fall. An early June Sunday-Monday trip should be fairly open, and with a Fast Pass you would likely walk on to most rides. Steel Vengeance you may still have to wait 20-30 minutes. We usually start by heading to the back of the park where Steel Vengeance and Maverick are, then work our way to the front.

Going back to the subject of this thread, I hadn't thought about getting back to amusement parks as one of the first things I planned to do, but I guess it is. We were able to get 2020 season passes to Cedar Point for like $50 each in late 2019, then weren't able to use them at all last year. But they are carrying them over for 2021 use. So that will be pretty sweet if we are back to "normal" by the end of summer.
Awesome advice! isitpacked is a really nice website!

Have you been to King's Island? It's run by the same company and a lot of folks are saying it's starting to rival Cedar Point itself. It appears they have quite a few high quality coasters and they just added a giga last year. I think some of their esteem comes from their excellent kiddy section and rides, but it still looks like a fantastic park.