Things you plan to do when this is all over

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Things you plan to do when this is all over

Post by CardsofSTL »

Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 1:13 pm
Let most people - spending time with loved ones and travel.

As for travel, I've picked up some weird interests out of boredom during the pandemic. One of interest is roller coasters and theme parks. Watching people experience and discuss these parks takes me to a better more fun place while I'm stuck at home. It just wholesome fun. What's particularly weird if despite all the knowledge I've gained on the topic I haven't been on a roller coaster in like 15 years. So my plan is to make a road trip to the roller coaster capital of the world, Cedar Point. I also plan to swing down to Kings Island as well.

Also, I'm totally going to buy one of those douchebag premium fast passes to line cut. Let the children cry as my middle aged self walks past them!
Cedarpoint is awesome and you can yell into the void toward Canada.

King's Island is all right...I like the white water raft ride thingy.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Michael wrote:
Like most people - spending time with loved ones and travel.

As for travel, I've picked up some weird interests out of boredom during the pandemic. One of interest is roller coasters and theme parks. Watching people experience and discuss these parks takes me to a better and more fun place while I'm stuck at home. It just sunny wholesome fun. What's particularly weird if despite all the knowledge I've gained on the topic I haven't been on a roller coaster in like 15 years. So my plan is to make a road trip to the roller coaster capital of the world, Cedar Point and stay there a few nights. I also plan to swing down to Kings Island as well.

Also, I'm totally going to buy one of those expensive douchebag premium fast passes to line cut. Let the children cry as my middle aged self walks past them!
Have you watched that new(ish) HBO documentary about the 80s theme park in New Jersey that had crazy rides that got everyone injured? I think it's called Class Action Park. I've been meaning to watch it because it looked awesome.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Action Park is a legend. I mean what could go wrong with this:

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Michael wrote:

As for travel, I've picked up some weird interests out of boredom during the pandemic. One of interest is roller coasters and theme parks. Watching people experience and discuss these parks takes me to a better and more fun place while I'm stuck at home. It just sunny wholesome fun. What's particularly weird if despite all the knowledge I've gained on the topic I haven't been on a roller coaster in like 15 years. So my plan is to make a road trip to the roller coaster capital of the world, Cedar Point and stay there a few nights. I also plan to swing down to Kings Island as well.

Also, I'm totally going to buy one of those expensive douchebag premium fast passes to line cut. Let the children cry as my middle aged self walks past them!
I'm weird in that I like race cars but not roller coasters. However I have been to King's Island and did enjoy it. With that said Planet Coaster is one of my favorite PC games. :D

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

heyzeus wrote:
March 3 21, 8:31 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 2 21, 11:18 pm
heyzeus wrote:
March 2 21, 10:15 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
March 2 21, 8:47 pm
Looks like you'll be able to do that shortly in Texas at least.

https://open.texas.gov/
Governor Abbott Lifts Mask Mandate, Opens Texas 100 Percent
Governor Greg Abbott has issued an Executive Order (GA-34) lifting the mask mandate in Texas and increasing capacity of all businesses and facilities in the state to 100 percent.

This executive order rescinds most of the Governor's earlier Executive Orders related to COVID-19. Effective Wednesday, March 10, 2021, all businesses of any type may open to 100% capacity. Additionally, this order ends the statewide mask mandate in Texas. Businesses may still limit capacity or implement additional safety protocols at their own discretion.

If COVID-19 hospitalizations in any of the 22 hospital regions in Texas get above 15% of the hospital bed capacity in that region for seven straight days, a County Judge in that region may use COVID-19 mitigation strategies. However, County Judges may not impose criminal penalties for not following COVID-19 orders nor may penalties be imposed for failing to wear a face mask. If restrictions are imposed at a County level, those restrictions may not include reducing capacity to less than 50% for any type of entity.
Wonder if the Astros and Rangers will be hosting fans at 100% capacity while the Blue Jays aren't even allowed to play in Canada.
Remeber in the weed thread when I said I live in a moron state?
Seems a bit premature, imo.

But, that's just me. Texas has amongst the lowest (albeit marginally) vaccination rates (13% vs probably 16% on average). And, if the argument is, well, they've had a lot of cases so there's immunity there. Texas ranks 24th in cases per capita which may be depressed due to ranking 38th in tests per capita; however it also ranks 24th in deaths per capita, so it's probably safe to say they're about middle of the pack in cases per capita. Lastly, it's pretty ignorant to ignore the massive drop largely due to a weeklong snow storm, I'm guessing. But, whatever.
Remember that super bowl where Leon Lett started showboating on like the 5 yard line, and Tasker was racing behind him and stripped the ball? Texas is Lett, and Covid is Tasker. We're so [expletive] close. Biden announced yesterday that we'll have 300 million doses by the end of May. We can and should have everyone vaccinated this summer. Until then, we don't have heard immunity, we don't have barriers in place to another widespread wave of infection. Masks are a simple, easy, cheap way to prevent this. It's all so stupid. Just keep wearing a mask! For a few months! Until we can actually beat this!

I'm furious.

My kids have finally gone back to school this week. They haven't set foot in their school FOR A YEAR We've done this to keep them safe, us safe, and their teachers safe. We don't know yet if the governor's order means that local school districts can't require masks in the schools. If that's what it means, I have to pull my kids right the [expletive] back out, because I'm not risking their health or their teachers' health. It's all so stupid.
Abbott clearly desperate to change the subject from Texas not being able to provide electricity or drinking water when temperatures go below 40 degrees.

Look over there! A mask culture war re-run . . .

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

heyzeus wrote:
March 3 21, 1:47 pm
Michael wrote:

Have you watched that new(ish) HBO documentary about the 80s theme park in New Jersey that had crazy rides that got everyone injured? I think it's called Class Action Park. I've been meaning to watch it because it looked awesome.
oh that looks good, i want to see that

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 1:50 pm
Action Park is a legend. I mean what could go wrong with this:

It reminds me of the Schlitterbahn water park in KC, which deserves its own documentary. But it'll be a decidedly less fun one.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

IMADreamer wrote:
March 3 21, 1:58 pm
I'm weird in that I like race cars but not roller coasters. However I have been to King's Island and did enjoy it. With that said Planet Coaster is one of my favorite PC games. :D
Ironically another new interest interest of mine is cars. For a while I thought our car might die so I started researching vehicles. Somewhere during my research I came across a youtuber named Doug Demiro. I love how he enthusiastically breaks down all the new tech coming to cars. As I'm sure you are aware, there is a tech revolution happening in autos right now and for me (but maybe not you, stick shifts, etc) it is fun to watch. His channel led me to several other car channels I enjoy.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 2:10 pm
IMADreamer wrote:
March 3 21, 1:58 pm
Ironically another new interest interest of mine is cars. For a while I thought our car might die so I started researching vehicles. Somewhere during my research I came across a youtuber named Doug Demiro. I love how he enthusiastically breaks down all the new tech coming to cars. As I'm sure you are aware, there is a tech revolution happening in autos right now and for me (but maybe not you, stick shifts, etc) it is fun to watch. His channel led me to several other car channels I enjoy.
Doug is great, I love his videos! I agree the tech revolution in cars is awesome. It's one of the reasons I've been shopping for Audi RS5s. In fact Audi's entire line is just awesome. If you like tech check it out, I think he has done a few videos on them. Things like virtual [expletive] pit get me really excited to get one.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Michael wrote:
I'm totally going to buy one of those expensive douchebag premium fast passes to line cut. Let the children cry as my middle aged self walks past them!

The point of being an adult with disposable income is to do all of the things your parents were too cheap or afraid of spoiling you to let you do when you were a kid.

If you can afford the premium fast pass, and you don't buy one, you're basically telling child Michael to go f himself.

Also, re: that action park pic...how many g's you think gets pulled on that loop after building up such a head of speed?