Todd in the Shadows (Music Review Youtuber)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Re: Todd in the Shadows (Music Review Youtuber)

Post by Famous Mortimer »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
March 29 21, 9:42 pm
I'm curious, where do you even hear pop music?
I normally listen to it in the few seconds I get into the car, turn the radio on and realise Mrs Mortimer has set it to one of the pop stations.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'm curious, where do you even hear pop music?
In the car and music streaming.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I liked the "Are you Jimmy Ray" one. That was fun.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

You used to hear pop music without trying. I bet someone has curated pop music playlists in a way that would suit me well. I still have PTSD from hearing Gucci Gang, so I try to be super careful. But I don't want to miss out on cool music.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I'm really enjoying the podcast 60 Songs That Explain the '90s. Not dissimilar to Todd's work.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

April 13 21, 9:12 am
I'm really enjoying the podcast 60 Songs That Explain the '90s. Not dissimilar to Todd's work.
I really love this podcast. Music nerd (basically) does clever, incredibly knowledgable, loving essays/rants, does an interview with someone with a unique perspective, then plays the song. I suggest scrolling through the episodes and finding a song you remember fondly in some way. One of the highlights of my week.

Get in now before he gets to Nirvana or Radiohead.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I'm curious, where do you even hear pop music? It has to be a driver's license, WAP level big deal for me to finally listen. And I heard a lot about both those before I ever finally listened. I'd never heard Mood, and you're saying it's played out.

I'm not snobby. And modern pop music is really in a pretty good place, especially relative to other eras. But if I'm in Spotify, there's a million things to learn and experience and keep digging into. I'm not going to wade through the 45 turds in the pop top 50 to hear 5 I won't skip. And at some point all these songs about how Taylor Swift doesn't let people get to her are going to become seemingly disingenuous. -and Drake sucks.

I'll also say, while I like Todd's takes and dense knowledge, I disagree with him tastewise fairly often.

The best pop music is not the big mainstream stuff. I lump a ton of things into the "pop" genre, but really there are a million sub-genres underneath it today. It is pretty head-spinning. I will just check out groups I hear about, and maybe go down a small rabbit hole here and there, and I find stuff I like pretty often.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

May 21 21, 4:15 pm
I really love this podcast. Music nerd (basically) does clever, incredibly knowledgable, loving essays/rants, does an interview with someone with a unique perspective, then plays the song. I suggest scrolling through the episodes and finding a song you remember fondly in some way. One of the highlights of my week.

He said he wasn’t sure he’d get to Nirvana, but then Courtney Love requested it. Crazy interview. She’s an interesting lady, pretty hard to track. You think she’s rambling like a washed out former junkie, and she’s definitely rambling, but then she miraculously winds back to the point and it all seems almost brilliant. I found it all really intriguing. Very humanizing for everyone, even the people she dislikes for the most part.

I’m not familiar with the Courtney vs. Dave Grohl money battles, but they are casually mentioned a couple times.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Radbird wrote:
March 28 21, 1:24 pm

“Yeah this is straight up a Captain & Tennille song. Screw this. We’re done. :puke:
OK but "Love Will Keep Us Together" is a banger. Gets a little silly and showy with the piano towards the end but the first few minutes are quality.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

May 21 21, 4:15 pm

Btw, 60 Songs that Explains the 90s is back from a break to do the final 30 songs, and the first one out of the gate is Smells Like Teen Spirit. I'm not going to reveal who the special guest is, but holy [expletive].