Todd in the Shadows (Music Review Youtuber)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Michael
GRB Founder

Todd in the Shadows (Music Review Youtuber)

Post by Michael »

I found a great music review channel on YouTube called Todd in the Shadows. He reviews newer music, but his best stuff are retrospectives. My two favorite types are TrainWreckords and One Hit Wonderland. TrainWreckords discusses album misfires that famous bands never really recover from. One Hit Wonderland is all about one hit wonder bands, obviously. He does a great job contextualizing and analyzing music without being overly technical. Speaking as a GenXer, he's does an excellent job with stuff from my generation.

For example "St. Anger" by Metallica is a legendary misfire album:

Remember the one hit wonder song "Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger? He's got you covered:

He's also reviews older stuff I didn't even know existed. I can't believe this is a thing:

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Todd in the Shadows (Music Review Youtuber)

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Thanks for the link. I have a weird relationship with YouTube where I burn out on whatever I've been watching (or, generally, half-watching at work). I'm done with guitar gear videos.

This guy slid in nicely. Best of all, I won't be convinced to buy stuff I don't need.

I forgot all about this wtf-osity. Glad he resolved it. Really liked his Jars of Clay video as well.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

im only familiar with this guy 'cause he used to be part of a youtube collab of "content creators" (how i hate that term) that famously blew up a few years ago due to crappy management. has nothing to do with his quality of course.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Just watched the one hit wonder videos about Harvey Danger and Alien Ant Farm. Good [expletive].

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

He's not reviewing Fiona Apple; and if he's not reviewing Fiona Apple I don't give a rats ass.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Having been here then, I watched the Cher/Gregg Allman episode. I was a huge Allman Brothers Band geek in HS & college and remember the Sonny & Cher era and her variety show (Mom was a big Cher fan...) I knew they were married but didn’t have a clue they did an album together.

And now I know why. His review was spot on. I wish I could un-see it as it might cause me to put ABB on the back burner for while (a bit of hyperbole there but still...)

Some of his commentary was hilarious -
“This sounds like something Elvis Presley would have performed at his fattest.”

“Yeah this is straight up a Captain & Tennille song. Screw this. We’re done. :puke:

Thanks, Michael. I’ll be checking his stuff out.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

I'm glad people are enjoying his channel. I figured there would be several people on here who would like it.
Radbird wrote:
March 28 21, 1:24 pm
Having been here then, I watched the Cher/Gregg Allman episode. I was a huge Allman Brothers Band geek in HS & college and remember the Sonny & Cher era and her variety show (Mom was a big Cher fan...) I knew they were married but didn’t have a clue they did an album together.

And now I know why. His review was spot on. I wish I could un-see it as it might cause me to put ABB on the back burner for while (a bit of hyperbole there but still...)

Some of his commentary was hilarious -
“This sounds like something Elvis Presley would have performed at his fattest.”

“Yeah this is straight up a Captain & Tennille song. Screw this. We’re done. :puke:

Thanks, Michael. I’ll be checking his stuff out.
I thought it was funny how many times Cher has had flop albums after major successes. She's the John Travolta of the music world.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

A friend turned me on to him about a year ago, and I've watched a lot of his stuff. His year end lists are interesting because I don't listen to pop music at all, so I can sort of keep up with what's going on. But I really like his videos, he's a bit easier to digest than some of the more musicological ones like Adam Neely and Rick Beato.

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
March 28 21, 11:27 pm
A friend turned me on to him about a year ago, and I've watched a lot of his stuff. His year end lists are interesting because I don't listen to pop music at all, so I can sort of keep up with what's going on. But I really like his videos, he's a bit easier to digest than some of the more musicological ones like Adam Neely and Rick Beato.
I like his end of year stuff too. One point of contention - "Mood" made his worst of the year list, but it's one of my favorite pop songs of 2020. It's overplayed now, but I think it's legit.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I'm curious, where do you even hear pop music? It has to be a driver's license, WAP level big deal for me to finally listen. And I heard a lot about both those before I ever finally listened. I'd never heard Mood, and you're saying it's played out.

I'm not snobby. And modern pop music is really in a pretty good place, especially relative to other eras. But if I'm in Spotify, there's a million things to learn and experience and keep digging into. I'm not going to wade through the 45 turds in the pop top 50 to hear 5 I won't skip. And at some point all these songs about how Taylor Swift doesn't let people get to her are going to become seemingly disingenuous. -and Drake sucks.

I'll also say, while I like Todd's takes and dense knowledge, I disagree with him tastewise fairly often.