Happy bday Willie Nelson

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Happy bday Willie Nelson

Post by heyzeus »

He's 88 today, and a [expletive] national treasure.

Here's my best Willie Nelson story:

Probably 15 years ago I was at a bar in downtown Austin right before Halloween. Bunch of people in costume. I say to my friend "man, that guy over there has an awesome Willie Nelson costume." Upon closer inspection, it was Willie Nelson.

Go smoke a jay and listen to Redheaded Stranger.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Happy bday Willie Nelson

Post by CardsofSTL »

Happy Birthday Willie

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

One of the most inspiring and incredible career arcs ever. Stardust is a masterpiece.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

thrill wrote:
April 29 21, 9:06 am
One of the most inspiring and incredible career arcs ever. Stardust is a masterpiece.
Listening to the full album right now. I don't know if it ever really struck me before how much the end of REM's "Everybody hurts" was lifted straight from the closing of Georgia On My Mind.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I love him so much. And Trigger.

Hope I get to see them live but I understand I may never. 88. I'll likely have to travel to do it.

Maybe we'll go visit the Waylon and Willie mural this afternoon.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Oh man, I'm learning stuff. He lived in Vancouver WA. Right across the Columbia. I bought motorbike pipes up there last night. Also, how great is this, from 2006:

I should make sure I'm reading the Wikipedia entries for my heroes.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Willie has been an important part of my life. I’m sure going to college in Texas during the 70’s had a lot to do with that, but Shotgun Willie & Red Headed Stranger - just to mention two- have been library staples ever since.

Cancer took my best friend back in 1999. We were college roommates and Tuck was a fellow baseball junkie and huge Willie fan. A favorite college memory was when we went to a Rangers game at Arlington Stadium, circa 1975. We sat in the cheap RF bleacher seats. Hotter than hell but after a lengthy rain delay cooled things off, not many people were left so we climbed over to the infield seats and ended up a few rows up directly behind home plate. The best part was Gaylord Perry was pitching. We could never tell for sure he was doctoring the ball but it sure did move in mysterious ways. :-k

Over the years we kept in touch and visited often. He settled in Colorado and we really reconnected in the mid-90’s when we moved to Boulder. He was just down the road in Arvada. We had a blast - fishing, camping, hiking, Coors Field, Red Rocks. Then in late 1997 he was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma. He joked that at least it was named after a Hall of Famer. I went to chemo with him and helped wherever I could. He went into 1998 in remission, but relapsed in early 1999. It came back with a vengeance. The last time I saw him outside a hospital was at a Super Bowl party he hosted.

His father called me on April 5, telling me that Tuck was in his final hours and asking if I could come to the hospital to say goodbye. He asked me if I had Willie’s Stardust CD and to bring it with me. When I got there, there were about 10 other family members and friends. We all formed a circle around his bed where he lay comatose, holding hands when Stardust began to play. I was holding his right hand, his dad held his left. The only other sounds in the room were the monitors.

He passed in between September Song and Sunny Side of the Street. He was sending a message that he was okay. I truly believe that. It was the most spiritual moment of my life.
Oh, the days dwindle down
To a precious few
September, November

And these few precious days
I'll spend with you
These precious days
I'll spend with you
These precious days
I'll spend with you

.....flatline tone from heart monitor....

Grab your coat and get your hat
Leave your worry on the doorstep
Just direct your feet
To the sunny side of the street
Can't you hear a petter pat
And that happy tune is your step?
Life can be so sweet
On the sunny side of the street

I used to walk in the shade
With those blues on parade
But I'm not afraid
This rover crossed over
Every April 5, until we moved in 2017, we drove to the cemetery listening to Stardust, then having lunch at his favorite diner. I still listen to it every year.

And that’s my Willie story. Happy Birthday, Mr Nelson.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Quite a story Rad