Where are all the Bob Ross paintings?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Re: Where are all the Bob Ross paintings?

Post by sighyoung »

CardsofSTL wrote:
May 5 21, 8:28 am
heyzeus wrote:
May 5 21, 8:07 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
May 5 21, 7:28 am
I get that they don't want to sell them but they should maybe open a gallery for people to come in and view them. Even a virtual gallery might have some general interest.
Imagine walking into a vast exhibit hall with 8,000 paintings of the same goddamned mountains, pond, and pine trees. It would be dazzling.
Don't hate
A more interesting exhibit would be on Bob Ross himself and the popularity of his show/image. I'd be more interested in learning why he became a cultural phenomenon, and the ideas about popular art classes and aesthetic ideals that are implicit in his show. His vaguely hippy-ish vibe and DYI aesthetic could be connected not only to community art centers and evening classes, and to cultural activities and programs in the 60's, but New Deal programs to create integrated community spaces and social activities throughout the country. There might be a connection to various adult-education movements or something like the Arts and Crafts Movement of William Morris extending to the 19th century. You could even compare him to popular artists such as Thomas Kinkade, other PBS art instructors (Elke Sommer!), or could even compare him to a general understanding of Pop Art artists/celebrities such as Warhol.

But such a show would be in something like The Museum of the Moving Image or a history or cultural museum rather than an art museum, and you'd only need a handful of Ross paintings to do this.

But since Ross' estate is carefully managing his reputation, and making beaucoup bucks right now, that wouldn't happen.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I would pay like $100 for a Bob Ross original.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

heyzeus wrote:
May 7 21, 1:37 pm
Better yet, buy a landscape painting at shopgoodwill.com for $15.99, and forge Ross' signature on it with a sharpie.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

We really need to dig up Ross' edgy modernist paintings that were a middle finger in the face of the bourgeoisie.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

heyzeus wrote:
May 7 21, 1:37 pm
Ditto, though I'd also like a note telling which episode of The Joy of Painting it came from.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Can't get a Ross painting but these are available.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Ugh. That's sad. Can't respect the man's dying wish.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

There's a documentary coming out soon about Bob Ross, and more specifically the legal battle among his heirs to profit from his legacy, which is all sad and dispiriting. Looks like it's already out on Netflix. I should watch that some time.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/a ... oshua-rofe

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

heyzeus wrote:
December 16 21, 9:59 am
There's a documentary coming out soon about Bob Ross, and more specifically the legal battle among his heirs to profit from his legacy, which is all sad and dispiriting. Looks like it's already out on Netflix. I should watch that some time.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/a ... oshua-rofe
I've seen it and it's good. Basically, his long time business partners screwed his estate out of his IP when he died and his son has unsuccessfully tried to get it back. Anything you buy these days with a Bob Ross trademark is going to the people who stole his name.