Your next car will have ads

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Re: Your next car will have ads

Post by JoeMcKim »

I'll take a few ads on my car if it means it covers the cost of the down payment, sure. I'm not going to drive a car around with ads on it if I don't benefit from it though.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Why would anyone put a down payment on a car with interest rates as low as they are?

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
May 28 21, 7:22 am
Why would anyone put a down payment on a car with interest rates as low as they are?
It'd depend on the loan-to-value ratio. If putting some amount down gets you a better interest rate, you should do the cost-benefit analysis on that.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

Like this I hope.Image

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

redbirdjazzz wrote:
June 3 21, 9:12 am
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
It'd depend on the loan-to-value ratio. If putting some amount down gets you a better interest rate, you should do the cost-benefit analysis on that.
I understand that. But money is very cheap right now.

I never put a down payment on a vehicle and sometimes borrow up to 100% or over and always get the prime rate which is 1.9% or 2.9% through my credit union.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
June 3 21, 9:44 am
redbirdjazzz wrote:
June 3 21, 9:12 am
Fat_Bulldog wrote:
I understand that. But money is very cheap right now.

I never put a down payment on a vehicle and sometimes borrow up to 100% or over and always get the prime rate which is 1.9% or 2.9% through my credit union.
If there's no difference in interest rate at/over/below 100% LTV, then there's no reason at all to put any money down. The credit union I work at has a slightly higher rate if you're over 95%, so I put $500 down the last time I bought a car to hit that mark. Granted, the difference in the rate probably meant that paying the higher rate and keeping the money would've been the smarter move, but that was the call I made.