The Metaverse

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

The Metaverse

Post by mikechamp »

Did anyone see "Ready Player One"? Because that's what I'm envisioning this thing will look/feel like.
Apparently, it's the next big thing. What is the metaverse?

Facebook has just announced it's going to hire 10,000 people in Europe to develop the "metaverse".

This is a concept which is being talked up by some as the future of the internet. But what exactly is it?

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58749529

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: The Metaverse

Post by heyzeus »

A few years ago I was at a coffee shop in Austin and I ran into this guy, and we started chatting. We both went to the same small nerd college, so it was fun playing the "oh do you know ____?" game.

Anyway, the guy is a "digital nomad," ie, he has no permanent address. He and his wife and kid just move around from place to place all over the world staying in short term rentals. I got the sense he was rather wealthy. I asked what he does. He and some friends started a metaverse/augmented reality/virtual real estate company called Superworld. Frankly, it sounds like a scam, but no moreso than NFTs or most of the crypto currencies out there.

In Superworld, you "buy" virtual versions of real-world real estate. Using real money. Like, you can buy the "rights" to the Sydney Opera House, or the peak of Mt. Everest, or even your own real house. Within the app, you can put up signs on the property you "own." Or ads, or whatever. Then you can sell or trade the virtual properties you bought.

Anyway, to me, that's the metaverse. Buying and selling stuff that isn't real.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

All of this stuff makes me long for the sweet release of death.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

CardsofSTL wrote:
October 21 21, 12:09 pm
All of this stuff makes me long for the sweet release of death.
But in the metaverse, you can live forever!

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

We're already living in one and creating another one. I think the simulation theory is fulfilled.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.-Jurassic Park

This is such a bad idea for so many reasons. I deleted my Facebook in the current style. No way will I participate in this Matrix idea.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

TGantz wrote:
October 22 21, 5:20 am
Scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.-Jurassic Park

This is such a bad idea for so many reasons. I deleted my Facebook in the current style. No way will I participate in this Matrix idea.
Yes, but what about when Facebook rebrands next week as Metabook? Then all of the many privacy concerns, not to mention their use (both known and secret) by authoritarian regimes for evil purposes, will be addressed!

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

We've run out of profitable ways to make real objects that people need and/or want. So we are literally making up imaginary [expletive] to buy and sell. An economy based on this is totally unsustainable, and it's not even a "real" economy. The economy is supposed to be how we allocate real resources. I guess this type of economy is burning a bunch of power, but it's making nothing of value. It's not making anything that anyone case use to eat, clothe, transport, house, etc anyone.

During the 2008 financial crisis we created phony wealth via derivatives that was based on real estate assets. Now we are just buying and selling imaginary real estate. Maybe I don't own the peak of Mount Everest in Facebook's metaverse, but I definitely own it in the metaverse I created in my own mind just now. I'll sell it to you for a billion simulacoins (the currency used in the metaverse in my brain, which I also just created). You don't want to miss out on this deal.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

What's the simulacoin exchange rate? Can I get in on the ground floor?

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

If anyone can explain how this isn't a Dutch tulip craze, I'm all ears.