Great Tweets

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Great Tweets

Post by CardsofSTL »

It's from the 80s not the 50s Joey Baloney

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 16 22, 4:10 pm
1983, rated R. If you are younger than 56, you couldn't have seen the movie without mom and dad. People younger than 56 make up about 2/3s of the population from the statistics I'm looking at. That means there's 66% of people with a good chance of not getting the reference.

I know this is new to you mod. But it's going to happen more and more and its going to creep up and than WHAM hit you in the head that people don't get your cultural references any more and, likewise, you aren't getting a lot of theirs.

Welcome to the working week.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
March 16 22, 8:12 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
March 16 22, 4:10 pm
1983, rated R. If you are younger than 56, you couldn't have seen the movie without mom and dad. People younger than 56 make up about 2/3s of the population from the statistics I'm looking at. That means there's 66% of people with a good chance of not getting the reference.

I know this is new to you mod. But it's going to happen more and more and its going to creep up and than WHAM hit you in the head that people don't get your cultural references any more and, likewise, you aren't getting a lot of theirs.

Welcome to the working week.
The edited for TV version of that movie played on network TV a lot so I think the reach is wider than you think.

And I'll never not be cutting edge, Baloney.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I'm only 46.

We had HBO. Heh.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

GeddyWrox wrote:
March 16 22, 8:48 pm
I'm only 46.

We had HBO. Heh.
You're older than me.

HBO? Silver spoon.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 17 22, 7:35 am
GeddyWrox wrote:
I'm only 46.

We had HBO. Heh.
You're older than me.

HBO? Silver spoon.
LOL. No. Pretty squarely middle class. We didn't even get cable until I was in junior high. I'm pretty sure we only had HBO for like 6 months. We recorded a bunch of movies off of it and then cancelled.

Non-sequitur... I grew up in Rock Hill. Which was part of the Webster Groves school district. But Rock Hill was "the wrong side of the tracks" to the Webster kids. Ask @Radbird. He went to Webster, too.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

GeddyWrox wrote:
March 17 22, 7:46 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
March 17 22, 7:35 am
GeddyWrox wrote:
I'm only 46.

We had HBO. Heh.
You're older than me.

HBO? Silver spoon.
LOL. No. Pretty squarely middle class. We didn't even get cable until I was in junior high. I'm pretty sure we only had HBO for like 6 months. We recorded a bunch of movies off of it and then cancelled.

Non-sequitur... I grew up in Rock Hill. Which was part of the Webster Groves school district. But Rock Hill was "the wrong side of the tracks" to the Webster kids. Ask @Radbird. He went to Webster, too.
We had to drive through Rock Hill to get to Warson Woods where all the upper class babes lived. But I lived in the south part of Webster which has a similar vibe to RH per @GeddyWrox description. The 2 pockets of wealth were Old Webster with all the gigantic historic houses and Warson Woods.

And HBO? Pffft - I think we got 6 channels with this kind of setup - 2 (ABC), 4 (CBS), 5 (NBC), 9 (PBS) 11 and 30 (locals).

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Yeah, that played on cable all the time. I bet most people 40 and over get that reference.

With streaming generations things will get weird and dependent on either what their parents exposed them to or what they happened to find while browsing. Apparently teenagers were big into Friends when it was on Netflix until a couple years ago.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

ghostrunner wrote:
March 17 22, 9:20 am
Yeah, that played on cable all the time. I bet most people 40 and over get that reference.

With streaming generations things will get weird and dependent on either what their parents exposed them to or what they happened to find while browsing. Apparently teenagers were big into Friends when it was on Netflix until a couple years ago.
And, of course, The Office.

Trading Places? meh.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Nice job hijacking a thread jerks

Look at this tweet