Music you discovered from movies/tv

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Music you discovered from movies/tv

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I'm pretty sure Colorblind was on Cruel Intentions before it was on the album. That's where I remember hearing it first.

That's a really beautiful song about mental illness.

I also have half a mind to rewatch that movie. It was so sexy and cool when I watched it as a teen, and was a big thing in my peer groups. Maybe someone compressed it to seven minutes on youtube or something. That would be a better use of my time.

I recently learned Colorblind on piano. It's rather easy, even for a non player like me. If you want to impress your friends...
or rather, be unmercifully teased by. Counting Crows have been having some nice 'come out of the guilty pleasures closet' the last few years with younger millenials and Zoomers. This has not spread to my friends who grew up in the 90s in Kurt Cobain's PNW--no effort, feelings, or earnestness allowed.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

TGantz wrote:
July 15 22, 4:57 am
The Third Man wrote:
July 12 22, 9:50 am
I'm just the right age where I was probably part of the last group of kids to record songs off the radio with a cassette tape. I remember waiting and waiting for specific Eminem/Nelly songs to come on. Then Napster blew up and I haven't looked back.
I was barely old enough for cassettes too. I remember waiting for a good song to come on. My first tape I recorded Low Rider. I think it started like 10 seconds into the song.
I go back to the 8-track days. Cassettes were exciting because you could record on them. Mixed tapes were born. When things went digital, I tried to recreate some of my youthful mixes as playlists. Not all of them aged well.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Radbird wrote:
July 15 22, 5:29 pm
TGantz wrote:
The Third Man wrote:
I'm just the right age where I was probably part of the last group of kids to record songs off the radio with a cassette tape. I remember waiting and waiting for specific Eminem/Nelly songs to come on. Then Napster blew up and I haven't looked back.
I was barely old enough for cassettes too. I remember waiting for a good song to come on. My first tape I recorded Low Rider. I think it started like 10 seconds into the song.
I go back to the 8-track days. Cassettes were exciting because you could record on them. Mixed tapes were born. When things went digital, I tried to recreate some of my youthful mixes as playlists. Not all of them aged well.
8-tracks were great. "And she's buy-uy-ing a Stairway To..." several second fade out. *KLUNK!* several second fade in. "...Heaven"

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
July 15 22, 8:24 pm
Radbird wrote:
July 15 22, 5:29 pm
TGantz wrote:
The Third Man wrote:
8-tracks were great. "And she's buy-uy-ing a Stairway To..." several second fade out. *KLUNK!* several second fade in. "...Heaven"
I grew up with cassettes around, was alive for CD's taking over, and have obviously been here for Ipods and now streaming on phones. When my dad passed I got a bunch of his records. Some pretty cool ones including one of the Cardinals winning the World Series in 60's. I love the crackle, although it's a modern record player so not as extreme of a crackle I'm sure.

I know nothing about 8 track. I've heard it referenced my whole life, but no experience with it. But I bet is very nostalgic for folks.

Will kids these days talk in 2050 about how they physically had to type what song they wanted on Spotify and wait 2 seconds for it to load instead of their Neurolink already knowing that they want to listen to music?

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

TGantz wrote:
July 16 22, 7:10 am

I know nothing about 8 track. I've heard it referenced my whole life, but no experience with it. But I bet is very nostalgic for folks.
If it's nostalgic for anyone, they are gluttons for punishment. It was AWFUL technology. But for a few years in the 70's, it was the only way you could listen to your albums in your car. First tech that allowed anything beyond AM/FM radio in your car.

The 8 tracks were 4 stereo tracks. There was no rewind or fast-forward - one speed, one way tape loop. You had 4 buttons to switch tracks, though. And here was the truly awful part. Switching tracks was a time consuming process. So 4 times through your music, the music would fade out, you'd hear this loud *KLUNK* as the heads switched, and then your music would resume with a fade in. When cassettes hit the market, people couldn't switch fast enough.

I found this YouTube:

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

It’s probably a cliché answer, but SNL is a layup.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
July 16 22, 3:04 pm
It’s probably a cliché answer, but SNL is a layup.
Discovered Chris Stapleton that way. We had SNL playing in the background during a family party. I have a big family, so everyone was super loud and nobody watching the TV. When he started doing Parachute everybody stopped talking and started watching. Been listening to him ever since.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
July 16 22, 1:01 pm
TGantz wrote:
July 16 22, 7:10 am

If it's nostalgic for anyone, they are gluttons for punishment. It was AWFUL technology. But for a few years in the 70's, it was the only way you could listen to your albums in your car. First tech that allowed anything beyond AM/FM radio in your car.

The 8 tracks were 4 stereo tracks. There was no rewind or fast-forward - one speed, one way tape loop. You had 4 buttons to switch tracks, though. And here was the truly awful part. Switching tracks was a time consuming process. So 4 times through your music, the music would fade out, you'd hear this loud *KLUNK* as the heads switched, and then your music would resume with a fade in. When cassettes hit the market, people couldn't switch fast enough.

I found this YouTube:
I had a removable 8-track player like this in my car. Nobody was gonna steal this boy’s tune maker.Image

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I had an 8 track player and a record player when I was a kid.

I had an Elvis 8 track and Chipmunk Punk and Disco Duck on records. Those were the days.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »