Music you discovered from movies/tv

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Music you discovered from movies/tv

Post by heyzeus »

So there's a thing going on, really it's just basic gatekeeping, where old fans of a bad get mad when new fans come on board because a song is featured in a tv show or movie. The current example is Kate Bush or Metallica fans getting mad that newbies are discovering these acts because their songs are prominently featured in the latest season of Stranger Things.

But "Running Up That Hill" debuted in 1985 (and, while popular, was never quite as ubiquitous as Madonna) and "Master of Puppets" was 1986 and, as an 8 minute long exercise in demonic shredding, also was never on Top 40 radio or MTV (Metallica famously didn't make videos for a long time). Where do people really expect like a 16 year old today to get into music that was made well before they were born?

Anyway, this is a thread to post and celebrate movies or tv shows that introduced you to an awesome band or music.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Music you discovered from movies/tv

Post by heyzeus »

I'll start: Like most people, I had never heard of Elliott Smith before I saw Good Will Hunting, which featured many of his songs, including the original "Miss Misery." That song would be nominated for an Oscar, which he lost to Celine Dion for "My Heart Will Go On." Which is hilarious.

Thanks to Good Will Hunting, I bought one album, then another, then all of them, then I was lucky enough to see him in concert before his tragic death. So, thanks to Damon and Affleck. Your movie was good, and you sprung the songwriting mastery of Elliott Smith on the world.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Before CBS ran police procedurals into the ground, I really enjoyed "Criminal Minds." There was an episode early in its run where they played "Decoration Day" by Drive-By Truckers, and it stuck with me. I still love DBT today, and Jason Isbell is on the short list of favorite artists for me.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

So the 90s example of Stranger Things teaching the youths about Kate Bush:

When Fight Club came out, I was 21. Really, the ideal age to be exposed to that movie. I had heard of the Pixies, but never really listened to them. Then of course, the final scene's iconic use of "Where Is My Mind" hit, and sometime thereafter I downloaded their whole catalog off Napster.

Thus concludes the most Late 90s post in GRB history.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

"Where Is My Mind?" reminded me that pro wrestling isn't a bad place to find music now. Orange Cassidy used that as his entrance music for several years before they finally got the licensing rights to "Jane", which he used on the indies and was in itself a tribute to "Wet Hot American Summer."

Tony Khan is loaded and is willing to pay just about anything to get the music for a wrestler he likes enough. It's also how I found out about "I Fell" by Wicca Phase Springs Eternal. Darby Allin uses it for his entrance, and I think it absolutely cracks.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Very odd movie placement for a song that's a bit of an outlier for the band (but a jam): the credits song for Wedding Crashers (can't imagine that movie aged very well) is Aside by The Weakerthans.

Absolutely one of my favorite bands. Wedding Crashers and The Weakerthans couldn't be a more bizarre pairing. That's where I found them.

I also discovered a number of artists from Garden State.

I discovered Kate Bush after reading an interview with Big Boi from Outkast. She is his dream collab-which is also kind of bizarre. You can kind of hear it in some of the music he did with Phantogram.

Anyway I heard of her first. So I win. ...going to listen to Rock and Roll Lifestyle by Cake.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

UPDATE

...oh [expletive]. Big Boi recorded a song with Kate Bush. Not released yet.

really cool. no wonder this guy always creates magic:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

My introduction to Kate Bush was not from the TV show but rather being a bassist and obsessed with Tony Levin as a kid. And so when he played on "Don't Give Up" with Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush, I discovered her and she has many songs that should be hits in her collection.

Sappy ass song but good. One of the best bass riffs to me.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

In keeping with the theme of the thread. I knew who Roy Orbison was. I never knew how good his collection was until the late Dean Stockwell sang this classic in one of the top films ever, Blue Velvet:

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Also I always kind of liked bluegrass. I even went to the fiddle championships in Weiser Idaho once as a little kid. Leroy will remember me as one of the kids he spat Fireball whiskey at.

But it really entered my universe after O, Brother.