Job hunting

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Job hunting

Post by The Third Man »

Been in the service industry for too damn long, when it occurred to me that, since I've already abused haltz for industry prospects, it'd be sensible to do the same to you all for non-industry leads. I'll attach my resume below (information systems degree from KU, grab-bag of experience but mostly service industry), but one thought (hope?) is that you'll all be familiar with me and my writing ability just from having read my posts (or the occasional bit of criticism) over the last couple decades. Without a substantial body of professional writing work, it's a hard skill to sell to the average interviewer, but it's easily my ace in the hole. Hopefully my noxious personality doesn't offset that advantage entirely...

Anyway, if you work anywhere in/around STL and think your company would possibly have some use for me, please shoot me a message, however brief. If you're curious about particulars I can always offer more info about my background(s). Thanks!

And now behold

my stunning resume

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Job hunting

Post by heyzeus »

What are you looking for?

I'm just a dumb lawyer in Texas so unfortunately I can't help you much, but I do wish you luck!

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

The Third Man wrote:
July 12 22, 9:06 am
Been in the service industry for too damn long, when it occurred to me that, since I've already abused haltz for industry prospects, it'd be sensible to do the same to you all for non-industry leads. I'll attach my resume below (information systems degree from KU, grab-bag of experience but mostly service industry), but one thought (hope?) is that you'll all be familiar with me and my writing ability just from having read my posts (or the occasional bit of criticism) over the last couple decades. Without a substantial body of professional writing work, it's a hard skill to sell to the average interviewer, but it's easily my ace in the hole. Hopefully my noxious personality doesn't offset that advantage entirely...

Anyway, if you work anywhere in/around STL and think your company would possibly have some use for me, please shoot me a message, however brief. If you're curious about particulars I can always offer more info about my background(s). Thanks!

And now behold

my stunning resume
It sucks and corporate, but you could use Information Systems degree to get a job at like Accenture or some local corporate office like that fairly easily. And then do it for a year or something and move up. The post office also has jobs like this for IT guys. Bonus if you have programming skills.

The Third Man

Post by The Third Man »

heyzeus wrote:
July 12 22, 2:21 pm
What are you looking for?

I'm just a dumb lawyer in Texas so unfortunately I can't help you much, but I do wish you luck!

Less glibly: I've mostly been pursuing tech jobs, but the difficulty there is that to a greater or lesser extent, those skills have atrophied from disuse. I'm currently brushing back up on my Python and SQL (SQl in particular something I always had a facility for - back before baseball-reference updated in-season, I used to calculate the Cardinals' ERA+ and OPS+ as best I could in Excel, so databases and statistical querying are right up my alley), but in my opinion my greatest strengths mostly fall in the "soft skills" category. There's not an interview I walk into without the confidence that I am a better writer or speaker, quicker thinker, or more effective/adaptable multitasker than any other swinging dick they sit down with, but selling that is trickier than telling somebody "I know R and command line," especially without relevant experience.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I wonder if there's some sort of coding bootcamp or certification for people with some chops and/or documentation. Something like this might help you both meet people and give you some sort of stamp of recency for you to put on your resume.

I won't tell anyone here if you say you created the youtube plugin for Gatewayredbirds.com or something. Or maybe you created the Kriptopenguin bot?

I was working around Devs and engineers at this place called Epiq Systems for a couple years. They are THIRSTY for SQL developers--for better and worse: bad, because it's a lousy place to work in that field and they can't hold on to people, but good-ish (?) because they turn over so much there's opportunity. Having sold the [expletive] out of that place, there might be some kind of path forward like that. I would hope you could land somewhere better, even to start. But lots of those guys were graduating from Epiq to Nike and Intel (the big swinging dicks of the area), some after not much time at all. I'm not sure how Covid or recent issues have changed this.

The Third Man

Post by The Third Man »

Yeah, I'm actually doing just that on codecademy, it's been smooth sailing so far but I'm only a third of the way through the data science track.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

If the endgame is a tech company doing engineering and/or data work and given what you said about soft skills, support can be an excellent way to take advantage of your mix of interpersonal and technological skills while making it easier to jump to a different role within that company when you've demonstrated your chops and/or built up more of the needed skills on the technical side of things. You'll want to vet the companies because 1) not every support job is all that engaging from a day to day troubleshooting perspective and 2) not all companies are good about internal pathways, particularly with support. Orange flags on these fronts: support is its own location/office, product is B2C and/or ultimately selling ads, company is raising (large sums of) money frequently.

The Third Man

Post by The Third Man »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
July 12 22, 8:42 pm
If the endgame is a tech company doing engineering and/or data work and given what you said about soft skills, support can be an excellent way to take advantage of your mix of interpersonal and technological skills while making it easier to jump to a different role within that company when you've demonstrated your chops and/or built up more of the needed skills on the technical side of things. You'll want to vet the companies because 1) not every support job is all that engaging from a day to day troubleshooting perspective and 2) not all companies are good about internal pathways, particularly with support. Orange flags on these fronts: support is its own location/office, product is B2C and/or ultimately selling ads, company is raising (large sums of) money frequently.
Definitely a path I’m considering although the rub there is the fact that, as a cochlear implant user, while I’m certainly more than capable of comfortably having phone conversations, I greatly prefer not to—particularly because phone calls with people I don’t know always present the possibility of an accent or speech I can’t understand. Very anxiety-inducing scenario for me! Rock and a hard place. Go figure, my job as-is requires speaking in very loud environments but throw a phone in…*shudder*

letsgocards89
Perennial All-Star

Post by letsgocards89 »

Mastercard's a great local employer. Tremendous amounts of internal career opportunities for growth. Very easy to move laterally if there's a specific thing you want to learn about or do. The salaries are about average, but the boring stuff like benefits are great. The 401k match is incredible.

Source: Me, I currently work there

https://mastercard.wd1.myworkdayjobs.co ... 7a833d0fa6

Given your experience level I'd be looking for roles with Analyst, Analyst I, Analyst II, Engineer, or Engineer I in the title.

PM me if you have any questions, I'm happy to help

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

The Third Man wrote:
July 13 22, 9:26 am
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
July 12 22, 8:42 pm
Definitely a path I’m considering although the rub there is the fact that, as a cochlear implant user, while I’m certainly more than capable of comfortably having phone conversations, I greatly prefer not to—particularly because phone calls with people I don’t know always present the possibility of an accent or speech I can’t understand. Very anxiety-inducing scenario for me! Rock and a hard place. Go figure, my job as-is requires speaking in very loud environments but throw a phone in…*shudder*
That can be limiting, though especially in the software space there's plenty of roles that are not audio focused, email and live chat are the dominant forms.