The ethics of flaking in the Covid era

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!

Ethically ok
78%
Ethically wrong
22%
Leroy
No votes

Total votes: 9

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Imagine you have a meeting that gets dropped on you. It's not the best meeting or the worst meeting, but it'll take a few hours. It's in the evening. Imagine this is the type of meeting that everyone did via Zoom from 2020-2021, but now it's in person, and involves about an hour of travel to get to it. Nothing is lost if you attend by Zoom instead of in person; everyone can see, hear, and participate to the same degree of efficacy.

If you have a light scratchy throat, and also really don't want to go to the meeting, is it ok to ask to attend via zoom from your cozy couch instead by claiming a Covid exposure that maybe, possibly, didn't actually happen?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Re: The ethics of flaking in the Covid era

Post by cardsfantx »

I ain't even joining on a zoom if it's in the evening, so you're a better man than I am

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

I mean I’m not one to make up a COVID exposure to miss a meeting if I had said meeting….but I think you should be able to attend via zoom anyway to avoid a COVID exposure.

With soaring gas prices and to maintain a better work life balance zoom should ALWAYS be an option in this day and age.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

cardsfantx wrote:
July 26 22, 3:42 pm
I ain't even joining on a zoom if it's in the evening, so you're a better man than I am
My job entails having to attend a lot of city council meetings, which unfortunately tend to occur in the evening so the public can participate. I basically live in Parks and Rec, except it's all much less amusing.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

For any work nonsense that’s about just going through the motions, finding a way not have to invest too much energy is good. I feel like there were plenty of ways I found to do this pre-COVID.

That said, to the extent you have to do something that actually matters, I don’t really believe that videoconferencing is just as good as in person.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Zoom meetings are not nearly as effective. Even though you can still see non verbal communication, it's not a true human conversation. Tons of distractions off camera, and plenty of distractions with technical difficulties.

Like AD said, it kind of depends how important it is. If it's about putting cover sheets on TPS reports, I'll catch you on Zoom.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Ethically...eh.

But practically? Zoom that [expletive].

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Zeus, I hope you understand that you're undermining an entire field of American cultural production here. What will become of the all the workplace dramas and workplace comedies? Think of the screenwriters, zeus! You sitting on your couch naked from the waist down listening to NIMBYs rant against development is not winning any Emmys.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

G. Keenan wrote:
July 27 22, 9:20 am
Zeus, I hope you understand that you're undermining an entire field of American cultural production here. What will become of the all the workplace dramas and workplace comedies? Think of the screenwriters, zeus! You sitting on your couch naked from the waist down listening to NIMBYs rant against development is not winning any Emmys.
I was naked from the waist up. WILDCARD.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

G. Keenan wrote:
July 27 22, 9:20 am
You joke, but look at what’s happened to The Office. At the time, it was about the soul crushing petty pointlessness of much of work, where you went to waste the years of your one precious life. Now, it seems to have a following as a kind of fantasy about actually having some community and stable employment.

Moving more stuff online often makes sense in of itself, but the increasing isolation and being more and more glued to electronically mediated interactions is causing us all to dissolve.