Boston (Fenway)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
mtcefc
Everyday Player

Boston (Fenway)

Post by mtcefc »

Hello Again,

All things being well, this time in 2 weeks I should be at 35,000 feet somewhere over the Atlantic on my way to Boston. I am staying at an Airbnb close to Fenway, watching them play the Orioles for 3 games, then coming to STL on the 30th for the last 3 regular season home games v the Pirates.

My birthday is 1st of October so on that day I am going in the Car Rental Club for all you can eat/drink. If you see a very drunk Englishman on the streets in downtown STL, please point me in the direction of the Hilton.

Anyway, this will be my 6th visit to STL and I know where to go for good food and drink (even if a few places have closed down over the years). I have looked at a few youtube videos on Boston and what to do etc, they are a bit generic, was just wondering if anyone had any hidden gems I could see while I am there.

I am going to eat close to Fenway at least once, but don't want to be paying Fenway prices for every meal.

Any tips would be appreciated again,

Cheers and see you in Busch on the 30th!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Boston (Fenway)

Post by Jocephus »

my one and only time in boston was 2017 for my fathers 70th. we watched the cards get spanked - https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxe ... 8150.shtml

i can only speak to places we went to, that i remember. not an indication of "good" or "bad".

after some googling to refresh my memory...

Bleacher Bar - "Beer-loving Sox fans at this unique bar beneath Fenway Park's bleachers have a view of centerfield." Literally on the side of the stadium (from outside). Can't recall if its actually open during gametime but its standard bar food but a unique perspective and tons of baseball stuff, of course. unless it's changed, it's got a funny bathroom feature (at least on men's side) that you kinda walk up steps and if you are at a urinal you get a window and look down at the bar and can see people below you. we have a funny picture of just dad's face in the window but we all know he's peeing! i think we ended up just having drinks and maybe an app there.

Cask N' Flagon - pretty sure this is where we ate on gameday and its just down the street from bleacher bar. all told, its standard bar food and probably louder/more busy but we did end having a good meal/time there but it was hopping.

Lansdowne Pub - again, right next to stadium, on Lansdown street (all three of these), what a surprise! this is where we went for one last drink before the gate opened. we got there at a good time where it wasn't too busy (until it was) but its got a nice interior and we ended up having some good chats with other baseball folks, etc.

for a bostonian those are probably generic but we went 1,2, 3 before the game and enjoyed it all. (we'd also done a stadium tour before going to bleacher bar)

i'm pretty sure we stayed at the Fairmount Copley hotel which was nice but we did get a drink in the hotel bar after the game, i think, because we were told it was "the longest wood top bar" in boston. or something like that. it was fine...seems like the give roasted almonds as complimentary nuts which i was really chowing down on hah. not sure we'd have gone if not in the hotel though.

if you want to navigate to harvard campus area you can find the "hidden" location of the Harvard Lampoon comedy magazine. I kinda was pushing us to find it (after all, Conan was 2 time president) and after a bit of a search we did and i got a picture in front of it. its like, in a middle strip of road with a blue and yellow door so once you find it you'll know it but it took us a second to actually find it, with modern technology and all. seems like near by was a bar that had a nice rooftop area, which if i'm going off google i think was Daedalus

couple other places we went to but a bit foggy on them, if i remember specifics i'll try and update.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

I hope you enjoy your travels! My time in Boston was with small kids, so it's probably not super relevant. You'll probably find yourself in the North End at some point, because it's where a lot of the American Revolution historical sites are. But it's also the Italian neighborhood, and there are some great restaurants. The important thing is that you do the Canoli Challenge. The two best canoli places are on Hanover Street -- Mike's Pastry and Modern Pastry. I recommend going to both of them and getting a canoli from each one, then taking them over to one of the nearby parks and eating both of them in a taste test. I don't remember which one my family liked best, but they were both great.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

heyzeus wrote:
September 13 22, 8:28 am
The important thing is that you do the Canoli Challenge. The two best canoli places are on Hanover Street -- Mike's Pastry and Modern Pastry. I recommend going to both of them and getting a canoli from each one, then taking them over to one of the nearby parks and eating both of them in a taste test.
Love Boston, well...not the band...and couldn't agree with you more. Go on separate nights and be prepared to wait in line but it's no bother as you'll be soaking up the atmosphere.

mtcefc
Everyday Player

Post by mtcefc »

Cheers both, I will try a canoli.

I can't wait to be back over there.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

go to bell in hand just to say you've been there

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

mtcefc wrote:
September 14 22, 1:54 am
Cheers both, I will try a canoli.

I can't wait to be back over there.
Have the cannolis for dessert after eating at a North End Italian restaurant.

mtcefc
Everyday Player

Post by mtcefc »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I managed to get a Canoli from Mikes on the last night, was probably the sweetest thing I have ever eaten. If I had an extra day I would have saved it.

Managed to get to St. Louis for the final 3 regular season games, to see Pujols in person and to see him hit 2 homers was great.

I don't know the protocol on this type of thing, but I managed to get a Wainwright and Molina bobble head, I am just missing the Pujols to complete the set.

I totally get that it's tough luck etc, but if anyone hears of a Pujols going spare, I would be happy to pay for a ticket for a game for next year and the shipping to the UK.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

mtcefc wrote:
October 10 22, 3:38 am
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I managed to get a Canoli from Mikes on the last night, was probably the sweetest thing I have ever eaten. If I had an extra day I would have saved it.

Managed to get to St. Louis for the final 3 regular season games, to see Pujols in person and to see him hit 2 homers was great.

I don't know the protocol on this type of thing, but I managed to get a Wainwright and Molina bobble head, I am just missing the Pujols to complete the set.

I totally get that it's tough luck etc, but if anyone hears of a Pujols going spare, I would be happy to pay for a ticket for a game for next year and the shipping to the UK.
Glad you made the trip and got home safe. Sounds like a good time despite some travel frustrations.

I am sure you can spend a zillion spacebucks on eBay for a Pujols bobblehead