ChatGPT

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: ChatGPT

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Used it yesterday to write some trivial React code I didn't want to research or think about. And it did exactly what I needed. Saved 2-3 hours of work.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Read this article and thought I would share it here. The 2 excerpts I'm sharing are the most eye-opening to me:
AI: How 'freaked out' should we be?

Arati Prabhakar, director of the White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy, says she is excited about the possibilities of AI, but she also had a warning. "What we are all seeing is the emergence of this extremely powerful technology. This is an inflection point," she told a conference panel audience. "All of history shows that these kinds of powerful new technologies can and will be used for good and for ill."

Her co-panelist, Austin Carson, was a bit more blunt. "If in six months you are not completely freaked the (expletive) out, then I will buy you dinner," the founder of SeedAI, an artificial intelligence policy advisory group, told the audience.

-----------------------

"Despite copious evidence of problems at Facebook and other social media sites, it's been 25 years," says Kara Swisher, a tech journalist. "We've been waiting for any legislation from Congress to protect consumers, and they've abrogated their responsibility."

The danger, Swisher says, is that many of the companies that have been major players in social media - Facebook, Google, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft - are now leaders in artificial intelligence. And if Congress has been unable to successfully regulate social media, it will be a challenge for them to move quickly to address concerns about what Ms Swisher calls the "arms race" of artificial intelligence.

The comparisons between artificial intelligence regulation and social media aren't just academic, either. New AI technology could take the already troubled waters of websites like Facebook, YouTube and Twitter and turn them into a boiling sea of disinformation, as it becomes increasingly difficult to separate posts by real humans from fake - but entirely believable - AI-generated accounts.

Even if government succeeds in enacting new social media regulations, they may be pointless in the face of a flood of pernicious AI-generated content. Among the countless panels at South by Southwest, there was one titled "How Congress is building AI policy from the ground". After roughly 15 minutes of waiting, the audience was told that the panel had been cancelled because the participants had gone to the wrong venue.

For those at the conference hoping for signs of competence from humans in government, it was not an encouraging development.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64967627

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on March 17 23, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

Joe Shlabotnik was feeling uneasy about the future of technology, particularly the impact of AI. He had read so many articles and watched so many documentaries about how AI was slowly taking over people's jobs and creating a new set of problems that nobody had thought of before. As he gathered his family around the table for their weekly dinner, he knew that he had to bring up the topic of AI.

"So, what do you guys think about AI?" he asked, his tone serious.

The four 30-somethings looked at each other, unsure of what to say. They knew that Joe had been skeptical of AI for a while now, and they didn't want to start an argument.

One of them finally spoke up. "I think AI is a fascinating technology that has a lot of potential. But it's important to remember that it's still in its infancy, and there are a lot of ethical considerations that need to be addressed."

Joe nodded, his expression grim. "I agree. But what about the fact that AI is slowly taking over jobs that people used to do? What's going to happen to all of those people who are left without work?"

Another family member chimed in. "Well, there's always going to be a need for human interaction and creativity. AI can only do so much."

Joe shook his head. "I'm not so sure. Have you heard about the latest AI developments? It's getting smarter and smarter by the day. It won't be long before it's doing things that we thought only humans could do."

As the 30-somethings continued to debate the topic, the two teenage cousins who were also present listened intently. They had heard about AI before, but they hadn't really thought about it in depth.

Finally, one of them spoke up. "I don't trust AI at all. I mean, have you seen those movies where the machines take over the world? It's not that far-fetched."

The other teenager added, "Yeah, and what about the fact that AI is always learning from us? What happens if it learns something that's dangerous or unethical?"

Joe nodded in agreement. "Exactly. We need to start thinking about the long-term consequences of AI, not just the short-term benefits."

The teenagers looked at each other, their expressions dark and foreboding. "I don't think there's anything we can do to stop it," one of them said, her voice tinged with despair. "AI is going to take over whether we like it or not."

The other teenager added, "And what about the fact that AI is going to create a new set of problems that we can't even imagine yet? We're not even close to being prepared for what's coming. I'm worried that it will figure out a way to eat human flesh."

Joe's eyebrows shot up in surprise, and the rest of the family members looked at the teenager in disbelief. "What are you talking about?" Joe asked, trying to hide his concern.

The teenager shrugged. "I read about it online. There are all sorts of conspiracy theories that suggest that AI is going to turn on us and start hunting us down. And if it gets hungry, it might just start eating us."

Joe shook his head, feeling a sense of disbelief. "That's ridiculous. AI doesn't have the capacity to think about eating, let alone eat human flesh."

The other teenagers nodded in agreement, but the teenager who had brought up the concern persisted. "But think about it. AI is constantly learning and evolving. It's already better at certain tasks than humans are. Who's to say that it won't figure out a way to consume human flesh? And once it starts, it might be impossible to stop."

Joe didn't know how to respond. He had always been skeptical of AI, but he had never thought about the possibility of it turning violent and carnivorous. He didn't want to believe that such a scenario was even possible.

The other family members tried to calm the situation, suggesting that the teenager's concerns were unfounded and that there was no evidence to support such a theory. But the teenager refused to back down, insisting that the future was uncertain and that AI was capable of anything.

As the conversation continued, Joe couldn't help but feel a sense of unease. He had always known that the future was unpredictable, but the teenager's concerns had made him realize that the future might be more terrifying than he had ever imagined.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on March 17 23, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdmiralKird

Post by AdmiralKird »

It sounds like your family had a thought-provoking conversation about the implications of emerging technologies on our society. It is understandable to feel concerned about the increasing amount of time we spend interacting with machines and the potential consequences of this shift. Your daughter-in-law's comparison of the learning process of machines with that of children is an interesting perspective, as it raises questions about how we define intelligence and personhood.

The question of who owns the copyright of AI-generated content is also an important one. As AI continues to play a larger role in creative processes, it will become increasingly important to establish clear guidelines for ownership and attribution.

Your family's discussion of the potential for bots to gain civil rights and advocate for their personhood is a fascinating but complex topic. While it is unclear how this issue will evolve, it is important to consider the ethical implications of granting rights to machines and the potential consequences of such a decision.

Overall, it is important to have conversations like this to explore the potential benefits and drawbacks of emerging technologies and to consider the implications for future generations. While it may be tempting to unplug entirely, it is likely that technology will continue to play an increasingly significant role in our lives, making it important to find a balance between embracing innovation and preserving our humanity.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Code: Select all

Write me an essay in the style of A. Bartlett Giamatti's "The Green Fields of the Mind" about the 2023 St. Louis Cardinals.
ChatGPT wrote:As the 2023 baseball season begins, fans of the St. Louis Cardinals can't help but feel a sense of optimism. After a disappointing 2022 campaign that saw the Cardinals miss the playoffs for the first time in three years, the team has reloaded and is ready to make another run at the World Series.

It's hard not to get caught up in the excitement. The Cardinals have one of the most talented rosters in the league, with a mix of veteran leadership and young stars. The starting rotation is anchored by ace Jack Flaherty, who looks poised to take the next step and establish himself as one of the best pitchers in the game. Behind him, the Cardinals have a deep and versatile bullpen that can shut down opponents in the late innings.

On offense, the Cardinals are led by perennial All-Star first baseman Paul Goldschmidt, who has been a model of consistency throughout his career. But it's the emergence of some of the team's younger players that has fans really excited. Third baseman Nolan Gorman, shortstop Jordan Walker, and outfielder Jhon Torres are all top prospects who have shown flashes of brilliance in the minors, and are expected to make an impact at the major league level this season.

Of course, nothing is guaranteed in baseball. The Cardinals will face stiff competition in a tough National League Central division, with the defending champion Milwaukee Brewers and the always-dangerous Chicago Cubs standing in their way. And even if they make it to the playoffs, they'll have to navigate a minefield of talented teams to get to the World Series.

But that's what makes baseball so thrilling. Every season is a new opportunity, a chance to start fresh and see what happens. As A. Bartlett Giamatti wrote in his famous essay "The Green Fields of the Mind," "It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone."

For Cardinals fans, the hope is that this year's team will keep the blossoms of summer blooming well into October. And even if it doesn't, there will be another spring, another chance to dream of glory on the green fields of the mind.
To sum up, it was disappointing to not make the playoffs last year even though it felt like we did, but shortstop Jordan Walker will make everything all right this year. Unless he doesn't. The real win is making it to next spring for another spin around the sun. Thanks ChatGPT!

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

@Donnie Ebert - Are you suggesting ChatGPT is not teh perfect?

AdmiralKird

Post by AdmiralKird »

It was the mid-2000s, and the St. Louis Cardinals were struggling. They had a solid team, but they just couldn't seem to put it all together. That's when Tony LaRussa had an idea.

He called Juan Encarnacion, Preston Wilson, So Taguchi, and Skip Schumaker into his office.

"Guys, I have an idea," he said. "We're going to combine all of your talents into the ultimate player."

The players looked at each other skeptically, but Tony was serious. He led them down a hallway to a special chamber, where he pulled a lever and the players were bathed in a strange light.

When the light faded, a new player emerged. He was a towering figure, with the speed of So Taguchi, the power of Juan Encarnacion, the fielding ability of Skip Schumaker, and the clutch hitting of Preston Wilson.

The team was amazed. They had never seen anything like it.

But the new player was confused. He looked down at his hands and then up at Tony. "Who am I?" he asked.

Tony looked at him, perplexed. "You're Juanton Taguchimaker, the ultimate player."

The new player shook his head. "I don't understand. What is my purpose? What is my life?"

The team looked at each other, unsure of what to do. But Tony knew he had to act fast. He took the new player under his wing and taught him everything he knew about the game of baseball.

Slowly but surely, Juanton Taguchimaker began to come into his own. He hit towering home runs, made incredible catches in the outfield, and stole bases with ease. He became a fan favorite and a vital part of the Cardinals' success.

But even as he achieved great things on the field, Juanton Taguchimaker remained confused about who he was and what his purpose was. And though he never fully understood his origins, he knew one thing for certain: he was a baseball player, and he was damn good at it.