TikTok

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: TikTok

Post by Leroy »

I'm not really trying to be cool, I just choose to spend my time on other things. My social media library consists of facebook and GRB. You should all feel pretty special.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Leroy wrote:
January 13 23, 8:59 am
I'm not really trying to be cool, I just choose to spend my time on other things. My social media library consists of facebook and GRB. You should all feel pretty special.
I do Leroy. Bless your heart.

My social media is down to GRB and Microsoft Teams at work. And when I retire, it will just be GRB.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

For me, there are two questions: are you asking about whether you should be on TikTok to create videos or find them, and are there other ways to access relevant videos?

I'm not interested in making videos or posting lots of photographs of myself or family, so I don't really need a TikTok account. I can see why people who create lots of video content might want to have accounts, but I don't need it for anything.

Lots of TikTok videos show up on other social media, anyway.

Now if heyzeus wanted to begin a special law/vulture conspiracy broadcast, that's another thing entirely.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

TGantz wrote:
January 13 23, 6:35 am
I'm not trying to be cool by [expletive] on social media. I'm genuinely worried about what world my kid is growing up in.
This is fair. I think the same was said about Gen X and MTV and any generation. "These kids today ____" is a long tired trope. That said, I can see Tik Tok being exploited by ad companies in new ways. But people rebel and reject and not all kids will be addicted just like not all of us were glued to TVs as kids. People snap out. Some are just content being a "drone" (for lack of way better word).

I think the Zoomers are getting way too into Trad stuff though. That's a personal concern I have over Tik Toking.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I’m not on TikTok because, like sigh said, the greatest hits make their way into the world via sharing. I do like TikTok being a thing because I get to see random stuff like this on a Friday morning.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Some of y’all are starting to sound like the freaks who post [expletive] like this:

/s

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Data and science support my curmudgeonliness. People are resilient, most especially kids. But this [expletive] is brain poison, it is (or can be) bottled unhealthiness in the guise of satisfaction, and needs to be evaluated and approached with intention.

…and besides, not nearly enough of it is about Denver the Last Dinosaur.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

AdmiralKird wrote:
January 13 23, 6:45 am
I wish I could ban youtube shorts in my subscription feed. All of them. Tik Tok exists in this weird realm of permanent guaranteed crap quality for everything. You can get a decent amount of enjoyment out of a short idea in a 5 second gif. You can get a decent amount of info out of a 10 minute youtube video. You can't get crap out of a 30 second video. It's both too long for a short idea and too short for a long idea. It's No Man's Land. All of it is trash. All of it. Imagine going to the movie theater and waiting 20 minutes to see a 6 minute clip or 6 hour movie. There are just certain lengths things are not meant to be.

What shocks me is how Vines flew too close to the sun and exploded into a puff of nothing, and then Tiktok comes along, does the same thing, and is wildly successful.
I think it's actually a pretty good length for distilling the essence of ideas that SNL will often drag on for 6 minutes

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

sighyoung wrote:
January 13 23, 9:57 am
For me, there are two questions: are you asking about whether you should be on TikTok to create videos or find them, and are there other ways to access relevant videos?

I'm not interested in making videos or posting lots of photographs of myself or family, so I don't really need a TikTok account. I can see why people who create lots of video content might want to have accounts, but I don't need it for anything.

Lots of TikTok videos show up on other social media, anyway.

Now if heyzeus wanted to begin a special law/vulture conspiracy broadcast, that's another thing entirely.
I have sad news. The vultures are gone. Our building implemented some sort of high frequency clicking sound machine that scares them off.

The robot pencil sharpener, however, is forever.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 13 23, 11:13 am
Some of y’all are starting to sound like the freaks who post [expletive] like this:

/s

I don’t know how anyone could argue that Globalization didn’t kill Vanilla Ice.