Happy Pride Month

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Happy Pride Month

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I try to teach my kids to think about the experience of others, and to stand up for people being bullied or ignored, including around LGBTQIA+ issues. But what’s really great is the general acceptance and no big deal-osity they bring to it, just from the culture around them.

I have regrets about my school days. I was a victim of times and (most crucially, religious) systems, but I could have done better. I’m glad things have changed in my culture and family. Likewise, I’m glad things go so rainbow in June these days and I can buy a rainbow Timbers hat.

Now, as a middle class straight cis white man, let me exercise my birthright and swerve wildly out of my lane: could this be the Pride month we come up with something easier/faster to say than LGBTQIA?

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I know a lot of people still cringe at the word "queer" but a lot of LGBTQIA types these days just call themselves that. I guess it's almost like how black folks reclaimed the N word?? IDK if it's OK for us CIS Het folks to use or not. That's the only easy replacement for LGBTQIA I can think of though.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

The problem with picking a word to try and encompass LGBTQIA is that there are so many different types represented by that. While some in that group might accept a word like queer; others will not. There is no one size fits all word. It would need to be something that didn't polarize the different subsets of that community. Hard to do.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

thrill wrote:
June 2 23, 10:54 am
But this isn't a soccer fashion thread. Back to pride.
Gurl we can talk fashion.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Happy pride month to everyone, at GRB and beyond.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Pride and fashion go hand in hand!!!

Everyone should look FABULOUS!!!

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

This month is a reminder of how many corporations want to make people feel better about them by changing their logos into rainbow flags and stuff.

This year in particular, it is a good time to write to those companies, thanking them for their support of the LGBTQ community, reminding them that many of the elected officials their PACs contribute to are actively passing discriminating laws against LGBTQ individuals at horrifying rates, and you would appreciate a response as to if they plan to end their contributions.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Pat Robertson died. That's a win for Pride Month.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Rest in piss bobo. You were wrong about pretty much everything and made the world a worse place simply by being in it. You and focus on the family were the first hurdles I cleared in thinking for myself instead of taking my parents word for everything.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Yep and yep.

I wonder if it's safe to call him a garbage human around here. LOL