GRB 2.0 Thoughts

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: GRB 2.0 Thoughts

Post by mikechamp »

Swirls wrote:
go birds wrote:trade season is here--can we please get an answer on the twitter issue instead of not getting an answer on the twitter issue?
It seems we are the only two users who want the Twitter embed removed, or at the very least have an option to disable it so it appears normally.
Firefox plus NoScript would accomplish what you seek.

Just offering some unsolicited help...

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

mikechamp wrote:
Swirls wrote:
go birds wrote:trade season is here--can we please get an answer on the twitter issue instead of not getting an answer on the twitter issue?
It seems we are the only two users who want the Twitter embed removed, or at the very least have an option to disable it so it appears normally.
Firefox plus NoScript would accomplish what you seek.

Just offering some unsolicited help...
My problem is using it at work where Twitter is blocked. No FireFox - in fact no downloaded programs can be installed at all without IT/Admin rights.

Only the very best with IE 11 for me!

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Ugh. I thought that might be the case. That sucks.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Swirls wrote:

It would be nice to at least get a "No. Now quit complaining." answer...
Kyle was experimenting with different forum software, but I don't think it went anywhere. I suspect he's not able to put a lot of time into that end of things.

I'm not sure what a solution would be though. If your work blocks twitter and the twitter feature is enabled... do you just want an indication that the post contains a tweet? Most of them can't be stripped down, I suspect, because they contain images, links to other articles, twitter embedded gifs, etc..

I wonder if the other sites are just people literally copying and pasting the text of the tweets, which I think is what we had to do before the embed was an option.

I don't recall, is using your phone an option?

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

I suspect that this would be somewhat difficult to do in phpBB. The posts themselves only contain links to tweets, and I believe the conversion of the link to the embedded tweet happens through scripts that run on the client side. To get around twitter.com being blocked, you'd have to do the conversion on the server side, which would require someone to write software. I'm not sure this is available off the shelf, it'd add some load to the server, and some tricks would be needed to get around twitter limits on a single machine requesting too many tweets.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

Swirls wrote:

It would be nice to at least get a "No. Now quit complaining." answer...
Offseason is here... Please address twitter?

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Is the twitter plugin completely blocking pages for you or is it just a visual inconvenience?

I looked at how the bbcode is implemented and did some googling and I don't see an easy way to toggle the tweet bbcode on/off per individual user.

We could remove embedded tweets alltogether, but I don't want to do that if it's not a significant impact. (of course, I wouldn't be making that decision, it'd be up to Kyle)

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

TheoSqua wrote:Is the twitter plugin completely blocking pages for you or is it just a visual inconvenience?

I looked at how the bbcode is implemented and did some googling and I don't see an easy way to toggle the tweet bbcode on/off per individual user.

We could remove embedded tweets alltogether, but I don't want to do that if it's not a significant impact. (of course, I wouldn't be making that decision, it'd be up to Kyle)
Just a visual inconvenience. The posts come up completely blank unless the poster happened to also type out a comment about the tweet. And since most people just embed the tweet with no comment because the tweet has all the relevant information, all I see are a bunch of completely blank posts.

I used to keep GRB open on my phone and whenever I was navigating through Baseball Talk at work, I would scroll through on my phone at the same time to see the tweets. Unfortunately about a month ago the data portion on my phone has crapped out so using the internet on it is only possible via wifi... Which we don't have at work.

Woe is me.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I'm not really sure what you want us to fix, or what you mean by "appears normally".

If the entire tweet isn't coming back that means your web filter is blocking the http call. So it's not like we could write some code that goes and gets the tweet data and fills it in because the problem is your company's web filter isn't allowing the browser to talk to twitter.com, so there is no data we can add that would give you more information.

If you were getting some big ugly "CONTENT BLOCKED" box or something like that, we could attempt to check to see if the browser can talk to twitter.com and hide it if it doesn't, but the end result from that would be an empty post.

I mean the only thing we could really do is ask posters to add a quick description of the tweet, but it's not something we could require and it'd force posters to basically duplicate their post.

Swirls
gone fission

Post by Swirls »

TheoSqua wrote:I'm not really sure what you want us to fix, or what you mean by "appears normally".

If the entire tweet isn't coming back that means your web filter is blocking the http call. So it's not like we could write some code that goes and gets the tweet data and fills it in because the problem is your company's web filter isn't allowing the browser to talk to twitter.com, so there is no data we can add that would give you more information.

If you were getting some big ugly "CONTENT BLOCKED" box or something like that, we could attempt to check to see if the browser can talk to twitter.com and hide it if it doesn't, but the end result from that would be an empty post.

I mean the only thing we could really do is ask posters to add a quick description of the tweet, but it's not something we could require and it'd force posters to basically duplicate their post.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Looks like, ultimately, I'm screwed as long I continue browsing GRB at work. At least as long as I have my current phone.