Moderating Baseball Talk

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Re: Moderating Baseball Talk

Post by Spider John »

One thing that I find annoying and am guilty of myself is when someone has an opinion about a broad subject (like the front office inaction on the trade front), I don't need to post that same broad opinion every time opportunity something happens to support my opinion. If I think the FO stinks because they didn't pick up better relievers, I don't need make a post about it every time a Mike Mayers gives up a couple of runs.

Hoot45
Perennial All-Star

Post by Hoot45 »

Things have been better, mods. Thank you.
Spider John wrote:One thing that I find annoying and am guilty of myself is when someone has an opinion about a broad subject (like the front office inaction on the trade front), I don't need to post that same broad opinion every time opportunity something happens to support my opinion. If I think the FO stinks because they didn't pick up better relievers, I don't need make a post about it every time a Mike Mayers gives up a couple of runs.
This is a good reminder for me too. Well said.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

It's always pissy when the team stinks or when something 'bad' happens.

From my perspective, this team is boring. And, they're not particularly good. I don't even comment in game day threads anymore because I have a bias against matheny and everything I say is negative. So....just best to not say anything at all, I guess.

Spider John hit the nail on the head, imo. But, that doesn't require moderating.

Also, we've lost a lot of good posters due to one reason or another. Sure, a lot of times the exit is not graceful, but people that are generally happy coming here to get their baseball news don't just quit because of a flame war or something. In the beginning, this place had a ton of old school analysts vs new school sabermetricians and the explanations often times led to great discussions even if they were heated....but heated is okay. A decade later or so, everyone seems to be more familiar, understanding, and accepting of the analytical side even if they don't care for it.

Hell, even ESPN is showing WAR as a stat. Gone are the days when it's necessary to explain why a guy like Heyward is worth more than a guy like, idk, Adam Dunn...or how 'protection' in the lineup is not evident on a stat sheet. People have a better understanding of all that. So, there's not these in depth discussions taking place.

There are still plenty of reasons to discuss baseball and if all the old posters that were mentioned still came around, sure we might have more threads about analytics and stuff we might be missing. But, also, as noted, those conversations came with a fair amount of condescension which also drove people away.

In short, it's a baseball talk forum and the posters here are about as intelligent as any forum you're going to find. And, the posts reflect that.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

themiddle54 wrote:Do y'all mods ever wonder why there's not better baseball talk on the board, and consider the people like pebbles and haltz and the guy who always lied about working for the redsox then whenever anyone said he claimed he worked for the redsox would be like "who said that?" and, y'know, me, and a few others don't come around much?

In part it's because BT is the same as politics. You have people here who construct straw men and argue nonstop on that straw man. It's because back when we lost the guy who said he worked for the redsox the board was a place where his ideas (even though he lied about the redsox stuff he was pretty sharp) drew hostility at times, to the point that he (justifiably) questioned the board's intelligence in his "F-you I'm out of here" posts. You guys let that jim buffoon make personal attacks at me pretty much whenever he wanted, and every time I reported one of his posts it went unanswered. You have made your metaphorical bed. The people with little to no quality to add ( but oh SO MUCH quantity ) are still around, and the people who offered quality in BT are all gone. I have NO interest in talking about analyzing the game on this board, and haven't made any kind of meaningful post in BT in about 2 years. Kinkaid drops in occasionally and that's about it. For the most part you are left with barstool fans [expletive] about a mediocre team and now you're complaining that the quality of BT is gone. This board favored the barstool fan, and the average barstool fan doesn't have much meaningful to contribute beyond "that was great!" and "these guys suck!" and now that's your BT forum. If you wanted a BT forum with intelligent discussion, you'd not have banned me when that Richie Allen dude made a series of personal attacks against me, and I then defended myself. You'd not have let people pile up on the guy who lied about working for the redsox after the HOURS he put into research and writing his posts . You'd have banned the hostile idiot who was making personal attacks because he didn't like some know it all talking fancy about baseball analytics instead.

For what it's worth, this is the bed this site has made for itself.
Just saw this...holy [expletive]! For the record....

You don't seem to be missed by anyone here. There have been many posts lamenting the loss of everyone you mention in your self aggrandizing diatribe, but I haven't seen a single post wondering what happened to you or 33 or clamoring for your return. So don't worry about us, we'll be fine without you.

Cardsforlife
Veteran Player

Post by Cardsforlife »

I apologize, I need to act better on this. I admit

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

pop_haines wrote:This was a very interesting, thoughtful thread. Thanks.
Hey, pop!

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

ghostrunner wrote:
pop_haines wrote:This was a very interesting, thoughtful thread. Thanks.
Hey, pop!
Please come back!

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Sorry to hear about the tough times. It’s great to hear from you nonetheless.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Not sure what anyone is gaining by locking every thread when it becomes contentious? Should we all just say "I liked that game" or "I didn't like that game quite so much, but I sure love the Cardinals" and leave it at that?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Famous Mortimer wrote:Not sure what anyone is gaining by locking every thread when it becomes contentious? Should we all just say "I liked that game" or "I didn't like that game quite so much, but I sure love the Cardinals" and leave it at that?
I don't think anyone minds spirited debate. It's the neverending circular arguments that get old. Not to mention ignoring it when a mod gives a warning.