Attack of the bot

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Attack of the bot

Post by Jocephus »

things seem afoot
In total there are 910 users online :: 5 registered, 3 hidden and 902 guests (based on users active over the past 15 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1064 on Thu May 07, 2020 12:34 pm
In total there are 706 users online :: 4 registered, 2 hidden and 700 guests (based on users active over the past 15 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1121 on Sat May 09, 2020 12:29 pm
settin records

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I don't expect the forum can live on phpbb anymore. I'm exploring alternatives now.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i wasn't expecting that, can you explain?

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Jocephus wrote:
May 9 20, 6:03 pm
i wasn't expecting that, can you explain?
phpbb is pretty old for an internet platform and most of the open source support it's had in the past has kind of dwindled. Because it's easily installed on every cpanel webhost from the last 20 years and has a lot of problems with bots/spam it's not really trusted anymore. For example gmail blocks all emails from phpbb by default. So even if we were to get a new user they wouldn't be able to get the validation email without sifting through their spam and getting an alert that it's not a trusted email.

I was hopeful that the upgrades we did earlier in the year would be enough to kind of modernize the site from a security standpoing, but it hasn't in my opinion.

Kyle was looking into xenforo when he took over hosting the website and i'm looking into that again. I have a beta site set up here https://gatewayredbirds.com/beta2 to explore using Xenforo.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

From an aesthetic standpoint, that beta looks pretty good, Theosqua. Functionality will be key, though.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I agree with Mike

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I hope to keep the beta open for about a month before switching to it on the primary site. (I'm hoping to finish the development/configuration on the beta site in the next week) I know the transition won't be perfect and there will be some functionality that certain users use that won't be on the new site, but I think enough of the current functionality is on the new platform - plus some new functionality, that it'll be worth the switch to a more stable platform.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

So are you saying I won't be able to type in blue anymore, Theosqua? Is the pandemic also going to take that away from me?

:wink:

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

Looks like it's a slightly different shade of Blue, but it can still do blue font!

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

TheoSqua wrote:
May 11 20, 2:04 pm
Looks like it's a slightly different shade of Blue, but it can still do blue font!
I sure hope I don't have this song come to mind: