General Upgrade Notes

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

General Upgrade Notes

Post by TheoSqua »

I wanted to give an update to what was updated over the weekend and what you can expect in the near future.

Feature Updates:
  • A new notifications panel that will alert you when you're mentioned, quoted, etc.
  • Notifications update in real-time, so no need to refresh the page to see alerts.
  • All themes are now responsive, which should improve browsing the forum on mobile devices.
  • There are 7 or so themes now on the site. So make sure to check them out in your preferences.
    • If you want any of the old themes ALLAN-Subsilver is the closest to the default and prosilver still exists.
  • Apparently there are more emojis, but I can't find them and it wasn't a high priority.
  • You can now upload images to Imgur directly from a post and the link will automatically insert into your post.
  • You can now use the @ character to mention a user, which will send them a notification of your post.
  • Quotes will now take you to a member's profile
  • If you mouse over a forum topic link a hover pop-up will show you portions of the first and last post on the thread.
  • Board Rules feature that the mods will work on populating. This will make forum guidelines clearly defined and obvious to find.
  • The website is considerably more secure now.
  • The website rendering and searching should be much faster.
Technical Updates:
  • The forum went from 3.0.11 to 3.3.0. Roughly 9 years and 27 iterations of upgrades.
  • We are now using SSL for all site transactions.
  • All passwords are now hashed by phpbb's data algorithms.
  • Forum Registration now uses Google's reCaptcha functionality which should virtually eliminate bot spam on the forum. (I hope!)
  • Upgraded php from 5.6.4 to 7.2 and phpbb is much more modern from tech stack standpoint.
  • Eliminated flash embedding.
What's Coming up:
  • I want to vote on what the default theme should be.
  • More tournaments, maybe a yearly HoF type tournament for archiving threads.
  • Some mild restructuring of the forums to align with current activity.
  • A decision on if we will pilot new forum software.
  • We need logos for the new themes, so i'll be making a call for logo suggestions/submissions.
  • Exploring more features such as tagging, likes, and bringing back game day chats.
  • Might experiment with ads for the site when not logged in (if that's possible).
  • There was a bit of requests for a way to donate, so might look into a patreon account pending convo with our mod lawyer.
  • The forum database is starting to get close to 2GB, so might need to look into pruning posts from 10+ years ago.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Re: Weekend Upgrade Notes

Post by dmarx114 »

This was a big time make over. Will take some getting used to. I am sure the upgrades are worth it!

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

TheoSqua wrote:
February 9 20, 11:29 pm
prosilver still exists.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Job well done on a seamless makeover from an end user perspective!

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Is the old layout not available anymore?

Also, what's a "Warning Level" [1] mean? Am i already on double secret probation?

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

go birds wrote:
February 10 20, 7:30 pm

Also, what's a "Warning Level" [1] mean? Am i already on double secret probation?
If you click on your name and the down arrow, you should see a menu that says "User Control Panel."

Click on "User Control Panel," and then click on the tab that says "Board Preferences."

In the light rectangle, you'll see an option that reads "My board style," and a rectangle next to it.

If you click on the down arrow next to the rectangle, a menu of options will open up, including prosilver, if that's what you're used to.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

sighyoung wrote:
February 10 20, 8:11 pm
go birds wrote:

If you click on your name and the down arrow, you should see a menu that says "User Control Panel."

Click on "User Control Panel," and then click on the tab that says "Board Preferences."

In the light rectangle, you'll see an option that reads "My board style," and a rectangle next to it.

If you click on the down arrow next to the rectangle, a menu of options will open up, including prosilver, if that's what you're used to.

yea i tried that but the old layout doesnt seem to be available anymore. this version of "prosilver" isn't it. :(

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Avatars and such belong on the left.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

go birds wrote:
February 10 20, 8:25 pm
sighyoung wrote:
February 10 20, 8:11 pm
go birds wrote:

yea i tried that but the old layout doesnt seem to be available anymore. this version of "prosilver" isn't it. :(
Is the first option what you used: AllanStyle--SUBSILVER?

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I am liking the changes. Great job.

Avatars do not show on some themes but do on others. Is that expected or a bug?