Funding GRB

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Funding GRB

Post by TheoSqua »

Several people have asked about helping fund GRB. In response to that, us Mods have decided to set up a Patreon account that anyone can use to contribute to running this site. Link is here: https://www.patreon.com/gatewayredbirds

The site is set up in my name, so i'm assuming i'll own any funds on the site. I don't have any intentions of attempting to make a profit from GRB and have set up a dedicated checking account to house any funds we get from ads/patreon/mods that will only be used for supporting GRB.

If money from the above sources end up exceeding the cost of hosting, the Mods will look at using any extra funds for generating content and trying to drive new members to the forum. If we can't find an effective way of doing that, then I'll have to pay taxes on what we don't spend and keep it saved to pay for future hosting costs.

Basically, if you decide to contribute to the site please know that your contributions are absolutely appreciated and that we have no intentions to abuse the responsibility of maintaining this site and community.

If you have any questions feel free to PM a mod or ask in this thread.

Here is the GRB legalese from our resident Mod Lawyer:
Gateway Redbirds is not a 501c3, or other form of nonprofit corporation. The purpose of accepting contributions is strictly to cover the cost of hosting, running, maintaining, and promoting GRB in any way the moderator team may deem necessary. However, GRB is not organized as a tax-exempt entity, and GRB makes no representations as to whether contributions are tax-deductible (assume they are not!), although to be clear GRB is not providing financial, legal, tax, or other professional advice.

As stated above, contributions will only be used to pay hosting fees for GRB and for any software necessary, in the discretion of the moderators, to improve site performance and functionality. Contributors are not allowed to impose restrictions on the use of their contributions.

Most importantly, while we often joke about "GRB Premium," whether any member makes a contribution or not will be kept strictly confidential (based on how you contribute through Patreon). Whenever possible, the mods themselves won't even know whether a user has made a contribution (this is based on a setting in Patreon when you contribute). There will be no change in status or treatment for any member based on whether or not that member has contributed to GRB or will in the future. At the same time, that means that members can still have posts removed, or suspensions or bans imposed, regardless of whether that member has made a contribution. Any contribution made by a member in such an instance remains the property of GRB. The moderator team won't make moderation decisions based in any way on contributions received, or likely to be received in the future. Making a contribution to GRB doesn't constitute ownership of GRB or an ownership interest in GRB.

We're going to use a third party provider to accept contributions. Please read the terms of service of that provider regarding confidentiality of your user information, liability, charges and refunds, etc. We will set up an option to make recurring donations (monthly, annually, whatnot) but you're free to change or cancel that at any time.

Tags:

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Funding GRB

Post by heyzeus »

Man, lawyers suck.

Thanks to everyone who makes GRB such a rewarding place to be. We hope to keep it running, and improve it, for a long long time.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

damn, thanks for doing all this work in your busy worlds!

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Sounds good, thanks!

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

It is really great that a lot of people have asked to contribute; and probably this goes without saying; but I want to say it anyway. No one is required or expected to contribute if they feel like they are unable or just don't want to. Just keep coming to the site and contributing in your own way to the content and community. We appreciate everyone's involvement here.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

CardsofSTL wrote:
February 28 20, 11:04 am
It is really great that a lot of people have asked to contribute; and probably this goes without saying; but I want to say it anyway. No one is required or expected to contribute if they feel like they are unable or just don't want to. Just keep coming to the site and contributing in your own way to the content and community. We appreciate everyone's involvement here.
Well said, Cards. GRB is my corner bar. Thanks to all our members for making the forum such a great place to hang out.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

For me, it's a no brainer. In addition to the baseball stuff, I get access to JCs underwear making tips as well as Freed's yummy crockpit rib recipe.

I can't put a price on that.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I am the second patron to the patreon and got excited because I thought I was the second ever member of GRB. I am not. I am the third ever member of GRB. Turns out, Kyle beat me by a matter of hours. Damn you, Kyle.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I was #3! Woot.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I wonder, is there any way to put a very small $ on a "membership" to the site that goes beyond just being a generic member? Maybe with added perks like the addition of a Sig, or site badge?