Tweet viewing

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Tweet viewing

Post by mikechamp »

Something must have changed about 2-3 weeks ago. When I view posts that have a tweet embedded, I am now seeing the entire image. What makes this weird is that I use NoScript w/ Firefox, so I have incredible control over what is allowed in. My settings are nearly always set to twitter.com (Yes) and twimg.com (No). In the past, that has allowed me to see the embedded tweets as text only. If I want to view an image or video, I'd open it in a separate tab, say Yes to twimg.com, view it, and then turn that setting back to No.

I looked through the message board profile options, and didn't see an obvious way to alter the view, like a "view tweet as text only" option. My noScript settings haven't changed, so I was wondering if anyone might know why the display of embedded tweets might look different for me now. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: Tweet viewing

Post by Jocephus »

i think something on the back end was changed regarding tweets. for awhile i could see tweets but if it had media attached i'd have to click on the tweet/open it in twitter to view said media. now, for the last couple weeks, i can play the embedded tweet media through GRB no problem. i dunno, guess it have been a firefox update too

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I just tried disabling javascript and the twitter embed is disabled, so it's not like twitter is loading without javascript. And nothing has changed in regards to how GRB is rendering twitter in the last few weeks.

It likely has to do with either how NoScript renders stuff, or Twitter changed the way it's rendering images.

I checked the NoScript change log and didn't see antything that stood out, and googling "NoScript twitter" for results in the last month doesn't find much either.

So this is a long-winded way of saying I have no idea.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Well, whatever you didn't do appears to have worked, because earlier this week it went back to the way it used to display tweets.

Thanks... for nothing.

I'm kidding.

I think.

I'm not sure.

I'm dizzy now.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

You are simultaneously welcome and unwelcome, or at least I think.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

I'm having in issue where Tweets posted are just a blank post. Or, if someone has written a comment above a Tweet I'll see the comment, but not the Tweet. No broken link or code showing, just blank space. Started noticing this a few days ago.

Anyone else getting this? I'm browsing on Chrome.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i had an issue similar in FF
CardsofSTL wrote:
October 2 19, 8:39 am
Jocephus wrote:i'm having this issue at my new work. i only have "ublock origin" and "https everwhere" as far as add-ons with firefox. i've disabled them to check and they still don't appear...and it's not that the university is blocking twitter, i can go to that site, etc. works fine. the tweets show up at home computer. it does it (prevent embedded tweets from showing up) on my phone as well but i don't care too much about that since that is a last resort type scenario for me but would be nice to see the content at an actual computer, etc. anybody have any thoughts?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... protection

This has been shown to block embedded tweets for some users. If this is enabled; you might want to disable tracking protection for GRB.
has chrome updated recently?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59721

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Jocephus wrote:
April 27 21, 1:49 pm
i had an issue similar in FF
CardsofSTL wrote:
October 2 19, 8:39 am
Jocephus wrote:i'm having this issue at my new work. i only have "ublock origin" and "https everwhere" as far as add-ons with firefox. i've disabled them to check and they still don't appear...and it's not that the university is blocking twitter, i can go to that site, etc. works fine. the tweets show up at home computer. it does it (prevent embedded tweets from showing up) on my phone as well but i don't care too much about that since that is a last resort type scenario for me but would be nice to see the content at an actual computer, etc. anybody have any thoughts?

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... protection

This has been shown to block embedded tweets for some users. If this is enabled; you might want to disable tracking protection for GRB.
has chrome updated recently?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=59721
Yeah, I updated Chrome a couple of days ago and also installed Duck Duck Go as an extension, so between those two things the Tweet embeds might be getting blocked. I'll poke around under the hood and see if I can fix it.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

If it's not your work's IT software or some extension blocking the tweets, it might be that you have to backspace the querystring param on the end of the URL (up to and including the "?" part) when you post. BBCode style software is finicky depending on the version.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

This may or may not be your issue with viewing tweets... but I notice that every so often my browser doesn't want to fully load the tweets. I can see gray space, or text but no image. I have always assumed this was either internet slowness in my house or at the router on our telephone pole. It has always fixed itself a few minutes/hours later.