Limiting nested quotes

Need support or have a suggestion on how to improve the site? Post it here.
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Limiting nested quotes

Post by ghostrunner »

Hey mods - is this possible?

See the Corona discussion in the Politics thread for an example. I'd think a max of 1 or 2 levels of quotes is sufficient. Can't imagine anyone would object, but maybe I'm wrong.

There's a discussion here:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2493276
f you mean you don't want people to be able to nest quotes then you can set that value in the admin panel > post settings
Maximum nesting depth for quotes: 1

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Re: Limiting nested quotes

Post by TGantz »

ghostrunner wrote:
January 31 22, 1:13 pm
Hey mods - is this possible?

See the Corona discussion in the Politics thread for an example. I'd think a max of 1 or 2 levels of quotes is sufficient. Can't imagine anyone would object, but maybe I'm wrong.

There's a discussion here:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2493276
f you mean you don't want people to be able to nest quotes then you can set that value in the admin panel > post settings
Maximum nesting depth for quotes: 1
Good post. I agree.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I set that value to 5. We'll see if that helps. I don't want to over-do it and break a heavily-used feature of the forum. I think 5 feels like a good number, but if that still doesn't help we can adjust later.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Thanks. It’s definitely less a problem with short posts. Longer ones are tricky though. There ought to be some automatic “cropping” past a certain length. Like anything longer than 100 words gets hidden with a “read more” option you can expand if you want. Kind of like spoilers.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

I vote to limit it further than 5, for whatever that's worth. I think it's really useful, but only really to see what someone is replying to and after that there's no need for layers of conversation to be recaptured. I often do this manually, but it's a little annoying when you're on a phone.

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

I think 1 is too extreme, 2 would probably be fine, but I'd probably go with 3 to be conservative. At least off the top of my head, I can't really think of a case where I'd want more, and like haltz, I try and manually edit out the excessive quoting anyway, though this is annoying to do on mobile.

I'm not totally sure, but it looks like this feature gets implemented primarily in the parser, which I think means excessive quoting depth gets stripped out before any new post is entered into the database. For existing posts, the parse routine, I think should only suppress the display of excessive quoting depth without altering what's in the database, which I think would mean that the change could be reverted harmlessly if it turns out to be excessive.

minvan
Single A Minor League Player

Post by minvan »

Giant Eagle liquor store hours need to know because giant eagle liquor store hours and liquor store hours of operation are different. It’s been a long time since Giant Eagle has been selling alcohol.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Who's this [expletive] guy

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Let the record show that minvan voted for limiting nested quotes

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

minivan is the bot reincarnation of Gertrude Stein.