Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Freed Roger »

Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 7:07 pm
Freed Roger wrote:
March 3 21, 5:36 pm
I was no pain- no gain type my entire life.
I was the same in my 20's.

A lot of modern fitness experts have moved away from old school weight lifting. Obviously if you want to bulk up you gotta do it, but the vast majority of people like me are way better served by doing stuff like like Pilates. Not only do you activate and strengthen tons of important core muscles that standard old school lifting struggles with, but you also gain balance, flexibility and range of motion. All those things serve you really well as your body ages. Also, if done properly, Pilates has a lower impact to your body compared to other workout techniques, so the risk of injury is lower. Another nice benefit is it's something you can do at home without a lot of equipment. You just need a floor and a mat.

My wife goes to a Pilates studio at my gym and it's full of old men working on their backs and professional athletes (Bear, Blackhwks, etc). It's really amazing stuff. I know in my future I'm going to do some lifting like deadlifts, but I don't really foresee myself doing stuff like bench presses.
that makes sense. with weights, progress ends up being about #s for most people, men especially. the body weight type stuff from pilates yoga planks etc changes focus from that rat race.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 7:07 pm
Freed Roger wrote:
March 3 21, 5:36 pm
I was no pain- no gain type my entire life.
I was the same in my 20's.
Oh, I would say I was taking it easy, but really i wasn't. or it would go off the rails. it wasnt until i started Heart Rate Training - in my case -keepingr about 80% of my runs under 133 Bpm -that I realized I was pushing way too hard even on easy or recovery runs. I do need to look at my watch HR though to keep my self leashed.

The days I run harder, I am surprised how i feel semi-decent.
SUP is easy HR cardio mostly, with occassional muscle rep fatique - so I do work on shoulder strength. and core.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Down 21lbs in two months. Not huge I know, but it's a start. It's been a big struggle because the most cardio I seem to be able to do is a walk. Covid I think has really screwed my lungs and I just can't seem to get the capacity back I had before. We did a 1.5 mile hike tonight and I was at my total limit there. I was dizzy, light headed, and really huffing it. It took me a good half hour to get back to normal breathing. I think I just have to keep pushing it and it's a long road, but it should be worth it.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

That's cool IMA. I'm down 20 lbs since March 30th.

One of my brothers passed away on 3/29. I've been trying to be healthier since then and get moving again as well.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Doing some exploration.

Trying to put on a little muscle now. Over the past 6 months have increased protein for strength training. I’m up to 180-182. (Originally I didn’t want to go over 180, but I’m trying to break some strength training plateaus. It’s difficult to tell if its the right kind of weight. All the clothes still fit, though the stomach maybe seems a little bigger. But barely, and sometimes smaller. So I don’t know. Number of base reps of things like pull-ups is down a couple, but I can do pull-ups with a higher total weight on my back. Still in a 32 waist and a slim-fit medium (or standard fit small if the chest isn’t too tight) shirt so I figure that’s a good sign.

(I’m also wondering if I do better with a little more weight than 170-173. I’m more of an endurance athlete than speed or power, so I feel like I have a bit more in the tank when I’m in the upper 170s/180 (18ish%bf) than when I’m in the lower 170s. That said, once I hit 182, I’m sort of trying to “cut” back 5-7 lbs and then compare reps to see if it worked at all.

Mostly just been adding weight to my calisthenics. Pull-ups and chin-ups with 20lbs. Lever pushups with 20 lbs. Squats with 155 lbs. Dips with 80 lbs. (All weight from weighted vests and backpacks with weights in them, so I’m not sure how that would compare to barbells. Will increase weight when I can get to about 6-8 reps consistently. I’m around 4 reps on most of those atm.

One thing though, it used to be so hard to find paleo snacks and sweets. Usually had to make most of them ourselves. Now they’re easily available, so I’ve made a rule. No S foods (snacks, sugar) except on S days. (Saturdays, Sundays, Special/holiday) If I happen to work out more and need more calories, (without S foods it happens quickly) it can’t be a snacky food. (Like a paleo chip/cracker)

Thoughts from others who do strength training?

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

After getting bad diabetes news, I have been using something called a Dexcom sensor. It keeps me on top of my levels and works with my stubborn and competitive nature. I am at 18 days now, and my diabetic numbers have been fantastic. I have changed my diet completely. I have also been to the gym for 18 straight days. I hope I can keep all of this up.

Anyway, to the people that say that working out makes you feel so much better, I think you're wrong.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

I have now done a workout for more consecutive days than Moses floated around on the Titanic.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Good for you Leroux!

I've slowly gained 25ish pounds since covid hit. I'm starting to have some warning signs that I need to listen to. As soon as I get back from my vacation, I'm back on strict keto. Dammit.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Leroy wrote:
June 16 21, 8:54 am
I have now done a workout for more consecutive days than Moses floated around on the Titanic.
How are you feeling?

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

Wet.

Seriously, I feel pretty good. My diabetes numbers have been really great so that is something. I am not far from not even taking the daily shot (I have gone from 32 units a day to 7). It is all in what I eat. Some things I like I can't have, but there are plenty of things I love that I can have.

My wife took a picture of me in a store the other day, and I was kind of stunned at the change.