Insomnia

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Insomnia

Post by GeddyWrox »

I never used to have trouble sleeping. But lately I've been having trouble either falling asleep or staying asleep. This sucks. I've got too much sh!t to do in the morning to be exhausted.

Anyone else ever have regular or semi-regular bouts with this? Any tips for dealing?

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Insomnia

Post by CardsofSTL »

I've had insomnia my entire adult life from time to time. I hate to say it; nothing I have tried works every time. You can talk to your doctor about a light sleep aid; I don't like to take medication for sleep though because it leaves me feeling foggy in the morning; at least the ones I tried did. But everyone is different when it comes to meds.

I found the best thing that works for me usually is to take a fairly brisk walk in the evenings before I am ready to sleep; then have complete absence of light and sound when I lay down. But there is no cure all for every person. You should try a few things and see what your results are.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

GeddyWrox wrote:
August 2 21, 2:17 am
I never used to have trouble sleeping. But lately I've been having trouble either falling asleep or staying asleep. This sucks. I've got too much sh!t to do in the morning to be exhausted.

Anyone else ever have regular or semi-regular bouts with this? Any tips for dealing?
I know there's been a lot of anxiety in your life of late. That's probably some of it. If you don't want to medicate, try some exercise or physical exertion each day to tire you out. Could help the anxiety as well.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

I legit just messaged my doc about a medical card. Waiting to hear back.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
August 2 21, 9:24 am
GeddyWrox wrote:
August 2 21, 2:17 am

I know there's been a lot of anxiety in your life of late. That's probably some of it. If you don't want to medicate, try some exercise or physical exertion each day to tire you out. Could help the anxiety as well.
Yeah, that definitely has some to do with it. Although the swirling thoughts last night didn't really seem to have much to do with the girl that tried to kill herself, I'm reading that traumatic and stressful events can trigger changes in sleep patterns (kinda obvious when I type it out, duh, lol). Luckily I had my second therapy appointment today with a new counselor. She likened it to the brain just pulling out all the "files" that have been stacked to the side, and randomly throwing them all over the table, counter, floor, and everywhere. That is exactly what last night felt like.

I know I have a lot of sh!t to process, but I'd rather do it when I'm awake. Not at 1, 2, 3 and 4 AM. UGH

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Melatonin works wonders for me. Here’s the thing, though - the lowest dose I’ve seen is 1 mg sublingual. If I take any more than 1/2 mg - I bite them in half - I will be super foggy in the morning. With 1/2, it helps me both with falling asleep (with the sublingual, I can almost always feel the moment it starts to hit, about 10 minutes after it finishes desolving) and staying asleep (I always wake up at least once during the night to pee. Before melatonin, I could never get back to sleep. Now I always do).

It’s crazy because even the 1 mg are hard to find (other than Amazon), and the more common doses are 5 or 10 mg; and I have a family member - a Physician’s Assistant, no less - who says he sometimes takes 40 mg at a time (!!)

I guess everyone’s just different.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

One of my friends recommended a podcast called "Sleep With Me". They run about 90 minutes long, give or take a little. And they are light/amusing topics but the person speaks in a very calm manner. I queued up 4 or 5 of these and it seemed to help quite a bit. I slept pretty well last night.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I usually read about the "Joys of Frog Gigging" to help me fall asleep.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

You could try watching the Cardinals at night. The offense sleeps really well.