Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Life changes

Post by GeddyWrox »

WOOHOO!! Go get 'em, Mang!!

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Seems as good of a thread as any for this because I’m seriously considering life changes of my own.

My wife and I have toyed around with the idea of moving south to be closer to my family for years, and I think I’m closer than ever.

I can’t take working in news any more. I have a boss that I hate, and he hates me back. I think his idea of news actively makes the world a worse place, and I don’t want to be part of it. The only thing keeping me there right now is the coercive effect of a buyout in my contract that I can’t afford.

I miss seeing my family. I worry about my dad ever since my mom died. I know he’s in good health, but he’s not getting any younger. I never really was close to any of my extended family because they all live a thousand miles away, and I’d like to change that.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Without knowing how much your buyout would cost it's tough to judge, but man, if you're miserable, make the change.

I was so miserable as an application programmer years ago that I was contemplating getting out of IT altogether. I was looking at becoming a financial planner or even selling cars. Ultimately I decided to try focusing my IT career on database development and data warehousing and it has been great. Just the change I needed. Our hearts usually know what's best for us.

Unless the cost is exorbitantly high to where it's not feasible, then I say do it.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I hope to have a change to announce soon as well. :)

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

GeddyWrox wrote:
September 24 21, 12:11 pm
Without knowing how much your buyout would cost it's tough to judge, but man, if you're miserable, make the change.

I was so miserable as an application programmer years ago that I was contemplating getting out of IT altogether. I was looking at becoming a financial planner or even selling cars. Ultimately I decided to try focusing my IT career on database development and data warehousing and it has been great. Just the change I needed. Our hearts usually know what's best for us.

Unless the cost is exorbitantly high to where it's not feasible, then I say do it.
It might come to that. Or I can see if they'll trigger their opt out (it's absolutely [expletive] that they have one and I don't.)

I just don't know how I can live with working for someone who got excited about getting to cover "real news" instead of the pandemic, when the real news was a small airplane that made an emergency landing on a highway, hurt no one and was gone an hour later.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

https://tonymlombard.wixsite.com/website

Even though I won't be able to snag the domain until next week or so, I have started working on things and will continue to update there. I even linked my Instagram since I've never posted a single thing there. There are a whole two pictures up now but they sure aren't exciting. I am going to do laundry now and then will update the happenings after meeting up with my trainer but suffice to say, we didn't get very far on our trip. Nothing bad, just par for the course in this business. Oh well.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

:toast:

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I love this thread and all the positive changes people are making or thinking of making.

We may make some ourselves. Now keep in mind this is the first worldest of first world problems but we have this landlord that we farm around 400 acres for. This asshat inherited everything and has never worked a day in his life. He decided last week to sell and told us this will be our last harvest on the ground. He is offering to let us buy the land for a cool 7 million dollars. My dad and uncle are old and more reserved than me so I spoke up and told him to go [expletive] himself and take his ground and stick it up his spoiled [expletive].

My dad and uncle are retiring next year anyway and I told my cousin I'm not taking on more debt just to keep chasing acres.

Farming is so [expletive] right now with all the big money on it. I don't even know if it's worth the headache.

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

I've been in the midst of a large change myself, but didn't want to derail this thread of tlombard's experiences. Although my 401k was building to a nice sum, I knew it's not nearly enough for retirement here in California. By chance at beginning of this year, I was on realtor.com, was shocked looking at houses in southern Illinois, where I grew up. What I first saw, were very nice houses at 1/10th of what it would've costed out in CA. In April, I bought a house in the very town I grew up in (with research help from residents there who were great friends of my parents). I visited twice, then gave my employer a long notice in May. I trained my replacements for several months, then left my job 2 weeks ago, & the folks at work gave me a nice send-off party. I have my place until the end of the month, so I'll be on the road later this week, moving to my new home in southern IL. That's my short version, I'll provide more details later.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

IMADreamer wrote:
September 25 21, 11:17 am
I love this thread and all the positive changes people are making or thinking of making.

We may make some ourselves. Now keep in mind this is the first worldest of first world problems but we have this landlord that we farm around 400 acres for. This asshat inherited everything and has never worked a day in his life. He decided last week to sell and told us this will be our last harvest on the ground. He is offering to let us buy the land for a cool 7 million dollars. My dad and uncle are old and more reserved than me so I spoke up and told him to go [expletive] himself and take his ground and stick it up his spoiled [expletive].

My dad and uncle are retiring next year anyway and I told my cousin I'm not taking on more debt just to keep chasing acres.

Farming is so [expletive] right now with all the big money on it. I don't even know if it's worth the headache.
I know your post was more about the land you're currently leasing. But I assume you own a good bit of land, too. If you get out of farming altogether but don't want to sell your land, maybe leasing it out to a solar company would be a good way to monetize it without working it.

https://www.ysgsolar.com/blog/how-much- ... -ysg-solar

Just a thought.