thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Karen Culture

Post by thrill »

G. Keenan wrote:
June 1 23, 11:04 am
Leroy wrote:
May 24 23, 9:56 am
I'd probably be considered a Karen for doing anything, but I'm fing tired of taking my little dog for his nightly walk and having him attacked by some other dog (usually huge) that isn't on a leash, and his owner stands 200 feet away and just yells for the dog to come back. When dogs are in that mode, they listen like a three year old. Anyway, I'm going to start kicking heads soon. Dog's heads I mean. If that doesn't work, maybe the owner's heads.
Don't even get me started on off-leash dog people. They are the worst.
The thing that bugs me about those folks is there are tons of state parks and wild places you can take your dog and let them off the leash away from people and other leashed dogs. put a little [expletive] effort in, folks. Society is a shared space.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

thrill wrote:
June 1 23, 11:05 am
G. Keenan wrote:
June 1 23, 11:04 am
Leroy wrote:
May 24 23, 9:56 am
I'd probably be considered a Karen for doing anything, but I'm fing tired of taking my little dog for his nightly walk and having him attacked by some other dog (usually huge) that isn't on a leash, and his owner stands 200 feet away and just yells for the dog to come back. When dogs are in that mode, they listen like a three year old. Anyway, I'm going to start kicking heads soon. Dog's heads I mean. If that doesn't work, maybe the owner's heads.
Don't even get me started on off-leash dog people. They are the worst.
The thing that bugs me about those folks is there are tons of state parks and wild places you can take your dog and let them off the leash away from people and other leashed dogs. put a little [expletive] effort in, folks. Society is a shared space.
There is dog park in my neighborhood that is fenced off so the dogs can run free. Adjacent to that park, there is a regular park where it is against the law to have a dog off leash, same as every inch of the city that isn't an actual dog park. People constantly let their dogs off leash in the non-dog park so I've just given up taking my dogs there, which is a shame because it's a nice place to walk. The last time I took them there, a guy had his pitbull off-leash and it came rushing at my dogs from 50 ft away, head down, shoulders squared, charging them. So I picked them up to keep them safe. One of my dogs got bit in the face by a pit bull a few years ago (which was on a leash) so while I am well aware that they are lovely dogs, I can't just assume some off leash pit bull isn't gonna maul my dogs.

So I'm holding my dogs and this guy's pit bull is jumping all over to me to get at them. He just saunters over, slow as hell, and says "the only reason she's jumping on you is because you picked them up."

This is the mindset of off-leash dog people. Their brains work bad. They are dumb human beings.

And what never occurs to them is the risk they are exposing their own dogs to. "Don't worrry, he's friendly" they say as their dog is rushing you. Do they not understand that some people have reactive dogs who will bite their face off? Maybe my dog is a rescue from a dogfighting ring and it's gonna kill yours before you can tell me not to worry because your baby who just has to run free through a concrete jungle is friendly. And then you're gonna say my dog was the problem.

A couple months ago there was a lady in Lincoln Park letting her dogs off leash in the alley behind her house. They started approaching some guy and he shot the dogs. I hate to say it but serves her right. Letting your dogs off leash where it's not allowed in a dense urban area is selfish and dumb. You are exposing your dogs, which you love so much they just have to live an off-leash lifestyle lest they not experience the full joys of this world, to all manner of urban danger: cars, rats, rat poison, other dogs, people who will kick your dog in the face when it jumps on them, etc. WHY?

These people are almost always of the white, professional class variety. What they are doing is against the law. I would love for the cops to just post up in the locations where people do this often and just hand out $500 tickets. These people can afford it, it'll be some nice revenue, and people will learn quickly that there actually are consequences for breaking this particular law.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

There are a lot of people who own dogs that have zero clue how to influence their personality so they just think they're supposed to let the dog be "itself" I guess? That's not how dogs work. They want to be lead, they want to be taught and you can make your dog calmer and better socialized by actually working on it. That, right there, is the difference between someone who just happens to own a dog and someone who actually knows how to raise a dog.

And then their dog has all kinds of messed up behavior and they're mystified as to how to stop it like chewing on furniture or barking constantly.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

thrill wrote:
June 2 23, 8:47 am
There are a lot of people who own dogs that have zero clue how to influence their personality so they just think they're supposed to let the dog be "itself" I guess? That's not how dogs work. They want to be lead, they want to be taught and you can make your dog calmer and better socialized by actually working on it. That, right there, is the difference between someone who just happens to own a dog and someone who actually knows how to raise a dog.

And then their dog has all kinds of messed up behavior and they're mystified as to how to stop it like chewing on furniture or barking constantly.
Maybe a bit of that. I think sometimes people have paid thousands of dollars for obedience classes so they think they have purchased the ability to opt out of leash laws. Sometimes they are just dumb, oblivious people whose brains cannot see a few moves ahead and anticipate negative consequences. There are lots of people like this. Others have the mistaken idea that an off-leash dog is a happier dog and they think they are doing what's best for it.

Regardless of how they arrived at their off-leash idiocy, they all have one thing in common. They know they aren't supposed to do it, so they get extremely defensive and confrontational when called out on it. I've never had one of these encounters end with the person apologizing. They always instead defend the behavior and allege that I am the one being anti-social for being upset that their dog is attacking mine. And I do mean attacking. I have had this happen so many times which is why I start picking them up now when we're getting rushed.

It's not always even in parks. It's on the street. One guy had a dog that was in no way whatsoever trained. He was jogging and the dog was just running all over the road. Literally, the middle of busy city streets. This dog had no discipline of any kind. He was endangering it. It comes up to mine and is all over it. He's calling it away and the dog does not respond to him at all. Eventually he comes over to drag it off so I tell him the dog should be on a leash and he goes mental. "I'm sorry your dog isn't friendly" is what he said to me. I said he wasn't being very neighborly and he said "I'm not your neighbor, I live in North Center" which is like 20 blocks away. Dude is letting this dog run off leash for miles through traffic. It's probably dead by now. Idiot.

I'm not a psycho. If the dog doesn't come bother me, I mind my own business. But when they invade my space and the owner thinks that's just fine, it's on.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

I can post all day on this topic. Another anecdote: On my usual route there is a building that recently jazzed up their sidewalk landscaping so now it's all nice and pretty. It's elevated from the sidewalk by about 10 inches with stones and they put up some posts with like a decorative chain to keep dogs from peeing and pooping all over the nice plants. So I'm approaching this area one afternoon with my dogs and see that a woman not only has her dog off leash but has let it climb into this area and just do its thing all over it. While I'm still about 30 feet away she yells out at me, "DON'T WORRY, SHE'S FRIENDLY." Her dog was indeed well behaved and nothing came of it as I walked by, but if you have to announce to people at distance to not be alarmed by what they see you doing, shouldn't that be a clue to you that you're not supposed to be doing that?

I mean, I could pull down my pants and take a dump in the middle of the train and just yell out to people as they board, "DON'T WORRY, I'M FRIENDLY" but that doesn't mean I'm not out of my mind.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Here is another great example of Karen Culture. It's beautiful here this week so I text my car guy friends "hey let's meet up in town, cruise over to Missouri and get some BBQ for lunch today. We had about 8 guys all meet up at the local watering hole and we had a lovely day. There were cars new and old, fast, and slow, but we all share a love for cars and driving.

A little while ago on the local town facebook [expletive] page someone took a picture of the group and posted it saying "I can't wait for these people to die. I'm tired of their loud, polluting, obnoxious, small penis machines." She rambled on for a bit and it was quite funny really.

However it brings me back to Karen culture. Why can't people just let others do what they love? No one in our group is hurting anyone. Everyone drove very respectfully as is the rule at get togethers, and we just wanted to get together for a cruise, but oh no. This is America damn it and someone has to [expletive] about it.

Anyway we had fun. I'm thinking of kicking the mufflers off my Viper to make it louder and annoy this woman. Jk, it's already stupid loud and the exhaust is stock.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Social media was a mistake. Unless you consider GRB to be an aspect of social media. It gets the exception.