IMADreamer wrote:
September 4 23, 10:30 am
G. Keenan wrote:
September 2 23, 12:34 pm
IMADreamer wrote:
August 30 23, 11:04 am
thrill wrote:
August 30 23, 8:41 am
Love a prairie restoration. Just add native seeds and never touch it again. So good.
Yeah pretty much. I did go in and field cultivate the old grass out. Then planted the new seed. Put down some straw so it wouldn't erode before it had a chance to take hold. It was easy and the results are great. We have about 5 acres of "wetland" at the farm that we can't do anything with and I'm trying to get the local USDA office to release it so we can do a restoration there as well. Seems like it will be an easy thing to do but it looks like it will be next spring before we can do it.
Do you have to do anything to the native plants in winter? Like burn them or cut them down to the stalks? My building in Chicago has some pretty big sidewalk planting areas that are fenced off from where pedestrians walk. It's a pretty decent square footage probably like 100 feet by 10 feet. It's currently just empty but I've thought about trying to do native plantings there. Our landscaper came back with a pretty high cost to seed native plants there. Is the seed expensive?
We did not do anything in the winter. There are plenty of birds and other critters that live in there during the winter. I have a buddy that works for IDNR and he said after 5 years or so we may consider doing a burn on it, but it's not always necessary.

We planted 5lbs of seed an acre. So your 100ft x 10ft area is 0.02 acres. I think our seed was about 60 dollars a pound. So it's not really expensive IMO.
Interesting. That's not bad.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Random musings

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I apologize where this is insensitive, but do fake lips ever look good? I find myself staring at them, but not the way I try not to stare at other fake things…

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
October 12 23, 9:37 am
I apologize where this is insensitive, but do fake lips ever look good? I find myself staring at them, but not the way I try not to stare at other fake things…
No. Nothing fake looks good.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
October 12 23, 9:37 am
No they never do. There is a girl I know here who is beautiful and in the last year she decided she needed a fake butt and fake lips. Totally ruined her looks imo.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

I mean, I made that very comment in reference to Lana Del Rey on this very board some years ago and promptly got hit with the sharp elbows meme sooo…

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

One of my cousins is apparently convinced there's an imminent U.S. civil war because Biden is allowing an "invasion" so he took his family and fled to....Mexico.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

heyzeus wrote:
October 20 23, 9:26 am
One of my cousins is apparently convinced there's an imminent U.S. civil war because Biden is allowing an "invasion" so he took his family and fled to....Mexico.
Imagine if he decides to return and gets detained at the border.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

heyzeus wrote:
Your cousin is mentally ill. That's scary.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

thrill wrote:
October 23 23, 8:28 am
heyzeus wrote:
He is unfortunately. Evidently he's coming back, but now is angry at the family for having the audacity of being upset that he abandoned his ill mother (and job) to hide in Mexico from a nonexistent civil war in the U.S. His dad went to his house and took his gun for safekeeping, but people in these kinds of paranoia states rarely have just one.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

heyzeus wrote:
October 23 23, 9:25 am
thrill wrote:
October 23 23, 8:28 am
heyzeus wrote:
He is unfortunately. Evidently he's coming back, but now is angry at the family for having the audacity of being upset that he abandoned his ill mother (and job) to hide in Mexico from a nonexistent civil war in the U.S. His dad went to his house and took his gun for safekeeping, but people in these kinds of paranoia states rarely have just one.

Obviously he's mentally ill so I guess it will answer my question, but how do you take your family to Mexico because of a supposed civil war then come back and not be completely ashamed of how stupid you were to fall for that [expletive]?