bronoun enthusiast

Re: Ten hot dogs, eight buns

Post by thrill »

I have eaten 14 of those dogs.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

There was a place years ago on Lincoln Ave, America's Dog or something, that they had a map for a menu and you could get the dog from Cleveland and they'd punch your card for Cleveland, Chicago dog they punch Chicago, so on til you fill the card and then you get a free dog. I got like 3 punches from complete and the damn place closed.

I'm a big fan of the Seattle Dog.
thrill wrote:I have eaten 14 of those dogs.
It's the internet, so you gotta rank them in some kind of Eater/Thrillist-y list. I'm gonna think of my dog order....

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Is that Baltimore dog real?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

G. Keenan wrote:Is that Baltimore dog real?
Yes, and they're delicious! There's a row of locally-famous delis that all serve a dog in that style.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

33anda3rd wrote:
Yes, and they're delicious! There's a row of locally-famous delis that all serve a dog in that style.
Wild. It would be good, wouldn't it?

While I do enjoy a good Chicago style hot dog, imo the Chicago dog has too much going on. It's too busy. Hard to eat without all the toppings falling all over the place.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

G. Keenan wrote:
33anda3rd wrote:
Wild. It would be good, wouldn't it?

While I do enjoy a good Chicago style hot dog, imo the Chicago dog has too much going on. It's too busy. Hard to eat without all the toppings falling all over the place.
You probably know this, but Chicago style dogs are a lot like Chicago style pizza--there's the famous one and the one the locals really love that gets no attention. The Depression Dog is a small dog, on a regular non-poppy bun, and without all the elements of the "run through the garden" Chicago-style dog. Instead it has mustard, onions, sport peppers and a pile of skin-on french fries. They're incredibly popular at Gene & Judes, really delicious. Gene & Jude's also famously has no ketchup, not even for your fries, in true Chicago style. The Red Hots place on 35th just west of the Sox park has a great one. Odge's on Damen has a good one, used to buy them on the way into Bar Deville back in the day.

My sandwich theory is that if you can't make the sandwich so it stays together you should 86 the sandwich from your menu until you figure out how to make it all hold together. No one should have to make a mess of themselves putting the sandwich back together. This is why I hate slippery tomato slices and lettuce leaves on a burger. Exceptions to the rule are stuff like Sloppy Joes or Maid Rites that are loose and made to fall apart.

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

This thread has made me very hungry and I am 100% for sure going to the Vienna Beef factory for lunch.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Just curious - what’s the Chicago pizza that the locals love?

33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Post by 33anda3rd »

Smith Corks One wrote:Just curious - what’s the Chicago pizza that the locals love?
Tavern Cut all day bay-bay!!!!!! I like mine w/ sausage and onion and a big ol' plastic deli thing of giardiniera on the side. We don't eat that swill that's mostly anchored to Michigan Avenue or the Lincoln Park Zoo.

Ever have Monicals? Like that. Small, thin-crust squares made for standing at a bar with a four-bite piece of pizza in one hand and an Old Style in the other.

This guy did the Lord's work and ate all the pizza in town then wrote a book on Chicago pizza. He also does pizza tours. #3 on this list is my favorite pizza in town. The other two he mentions are top-5 for any Chicagoan who loves this style.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

33anda3rd wrote:
Isn't bologna wrapped around a hot dog redundant?