G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Illinois

Post by G. Keenan »

Socnorb11 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:We're back baby!

Ok not quite. But at long last the state of Illinois has a budget. And all it took was Democrats and Republicans coming together to override the veto of a billionaire who bought the governor's office for no other reason than to bust up unions. A man who cited Kentucky as an economic model to which the state of Illinois should aspire.
Democrats and Republicans came together to plunder its citizens.

Celebrate good times.
A 1.2% income tax increase is hardly plunder. State income tax in Illinois is not what hurts residents here. That's property taxes and sales taxes.

Well, that's a relief!!

Property taxes, sales taxes, income taxes............ Republicans and Democrats are responsible for all of 'em. 1.2% amounts to about $1100 per household. That's significant.

The new budget helps cash flow, but does very little to resolve the debt problem, and doesn't address the root cause of the debt problem (exorbitant spending). On top of that, it makes Illinois a less attractive place to live, which could actually decrease tax revenue (by driving people out of the state).

There's nothing to celebrate here.
It's easy to complain about a tax increase. I don't like it either. My taxes just went up. But what is your alternative proposal to raise revenues? Where is the money going to come from? I'm not a defender of Illinois state politicians. The root cause of the debt problem is that state legislators raided the public employee pension funds for decades to avoid having to find revenues elsewhere and never put the money back.

Maybe Illinois is doomed. I read a joking op-ed in the Tribune a couple weeks ago saying Illinois should be dissolved and absorbed by it's neighboring states. Maybe that's not so crazy.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

G. Keenan wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

Ok not quite. But at long last the state of Illinois has a budget. And all it took was Democrats and Republicans coming together to override the veto of a billionaire who bought the governor's office for no other reason than to bust up unions. A man who cited Kentucky as an economic model to which the state of Illinois should aspire.

Celebrate good times.
A 1.2% income tax increase is hardly plunder. State income tax in Illinois is not what hurts residents here. That's property taxes and sales taxes.

Well, that's a relief!!

Property taxes, sales taxes, income taxes............ Republicans and Democrats are responsible for all of 'em. 1.2% amounts to about $1100 per household. That's significant.

The new budget helps cash flow, but does very little to resolve the debt problem, and doesn't address the root cause of the debt problem (exorbitant spending). On top of that, it makes Illinois a less attractive place to live, which could actually decrease tax revenue (by driving people out of the state).

It's easy to complain about a tax increase. I don't like it either. My taxes just went up. But what is your alternative proposal to raise revenues? Where is the money going to come from? I'm not a defender of Illinois state politicians. The root cause of the debt problem is that state legislators raided the public employee pension funds for decades to avoid having to find revenues elsewhere and never put the money back.

Maybe Illinois is doomed. I read a joking op-ed in the Tribune a couple weeks ago saying Illinois should be dissolved and absorbed by it's neighboring states. Maybe that's not so crazy.

Illinois has ridiculously high taxes, and they're still carrying enormous debt. Doesn't that tell us that high taxes aren't the answer? It's not a revenue problem.

Illinois' state workers are the highest paid in the country. The state can't afford that. Let's start with that.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

G. Keenan wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

Celebrate good times.

Well, that's a relief!!

They have already raised taxes; so that is done. But it would be wise if the state also worked on alternative ways to create revenue and cut spending so that the tax revenue that comes in can actually get the state into a solvent state of being. Government spending in Illinois did decrease from FY 2015 to 2016 compared to previous years; but I wonder if that is an aberration. The main thing that needs to happen is to have politicians stop being politicians and start being public servants; yeah that will never happen.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Socnorb11 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:

Celebrate good times.

Well, that's a relief!!

Illinois has ridiculously high taxes, and they're still carrying enormous debt. Doesn't that tell us that high taxes aren't the answer? It's not a revenue problem.

Illinois' state workers are the highest paid in the country. The state can't afford that. Let's start with that.
Illinois actually doesn't have ridiculously high taxes, that's a cute little right wing talking point. I think the new tax puts us 20th in the nation. Illinois is also a huge state in terms of landmass which means we have a lot of infrastructure to take care of.

Yes our workers make a lot and their retirement plan prior to recent years was stupid but it's done. You can't really go back on that. That state has to figure out how to increase revenue and cut where it can. Of course I'm not confident this group in Springfield can figure out how to do either. Don't worry though they will all be reelected.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

This latest increase jumped them up over about a dozen other states. I'm too lazy to look up the actual numbers but even if they are 20th; prior to the increase they were 32 or 33. And a lot of that land mass is farmland.

I'm neither right or left wing but the taxes in Illinois suck.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

IMADreamer wrote:
Illinois actually doesn't have ridiculously high taxes, that's a cute little right wing talking point. I think the new tax puts us 20th in the nation.

What does Michael's chart at the top of Page 23 mean, then?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

yeah, Illinois taxes are pretty damn high in comparison to other states.

and their landmass is smack dab in the middle (25th out of 50 states)

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

baseburglerlou
Everyday Player

Post by baseburglerlou »

Ayo and Kofi are coming back. We are going to be good.