People who stand way back in the queue

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

People who stand way back in the queue

Post by ghostrunner »

I got coffee this morning, and I was third in line. Here's a diagram of the line.

Counter
:cool: <----customer 1

:whistle: <-----customer 2

:x <-------me

Note the appropriate personal space between me and #2. Note the gaping chasm between #2 and #1. It's a narrow store and I'm as far back as you can go, and there are shelves with product behind me. So the next customer that came in had to line up along the shelves where people should be able to browse or walk to the bathroom.

I don't know how you broach this topic with #2 politely. I should have just cut in front of her.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Re: People who stand way back in the queue

Post by Leroy »

I like to do this as well. That way my walk to the counter is more like an entrance, and I fill the attendant with a sense of my importance.

tscards
Veteran Player

Post by tscards »

Good rant! Sometimes I ask "are you in line?". But I really want to ask "WTF do you think you are doing!!!"

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I'd rather they leave too much space than not enough.

I was at the grocery store last weekend. Wasn't overly busy, so free space wasn't an issue. The lady behind me in line would leave less than an inch behind my ass and her cart. So I'd move forward a bit to give me some room to move, she'd get that cart right on my ass again. She actually hit me a couple of times. I turned around and gave her a look. She just looked at me. [expletive].

tothebeach08
All-Star

Post by tothebeach08 »

If there are two registers at opposite ends of the counter and one line that they draw off of though aren't you supposed to stand back a little since it's one line for both and so that you can go to whichever register opens first?

I hate when I'm ordering and the person behind me is standing so close they are breathing down the back of my neck...I feel like saying if your standing that close then you can pay for mine.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Popeye_Card wrote:I'd rather they leave too much space than not enough.
Well, yes. Which is why I say I used appropriate space. I didn't single-space behind her, I gave the proper double-space.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

ghostrunner wrote:
Well, yes. Which is why I say I used appropriate space. I didn't single-space behind her, I gave the proper double-space.
I think the minimum recommended spacing is two times one inadvertant erection. So maybe the dude in front of you maintained proper minimum spacing requirements, though you should give condolances to his wife.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

its the same thing with driving for me...i realize that these are massive vehicles that can do a lot of damage adn some space is required, however ive seen people leave like 1 car and half space between them and the driver infront at a stoplight...the crux of the problem for me is when i need to get in the left lane, but this a$$ has essentially taken up so much space that i can't get into the left lane to turn, thus missing the left turn signal thus having to wait on a green light...

tothebeach08
All-Star

Post by tothebeach08 »

Popeye_Card wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
I think the minimum recommended spacing is two times one inadvertant erection. So maybe the dude in front of you maintained proper minimum spacing requirements, though you should give condolances to his wife.
Very scentific. But I think if most guys did this honestly, we would all be standing closer to each other than we are now and it may look funny. What if it's a line full of women, then what?

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

tothebeach08 wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:
Very scentific. But I think if most guys did this honestly, we would all be standing closer to each other than we are now and it may look funny. What if it's a line full of women, then what?
Well that's minimum spacing, for men.

For women, I think it deals with pheromones or something.