heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Rant - Cars

Post by heyzeus »

CardsofSTL wrote:
March 1 22, 2:04 am
heyzeus wrote:
February 15 22, 3:46 pm
I guess I cursed myself by posting in this thread. This morning I was taking the kids to school and stopped at a stop sign, and for unknown reasons the woman in a Highlander who was stopped in front of me threw her car in reverse and slammed into me. Her real windshield was fully frosted over so she couldn't see (or hear my horn?).

Anyway, the bumper of my sweet '09 Accord now looks like it's about to fall off, and that sucks.
You can fix that with wire hanger and duct tape.
I actually fixed it with zip ties, which has worked great (until I can take it in for a new bumper). I'm a geen-yus.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Even with a new bumper, it may have issues later down the road. My Rav bumped was fixed after a minor incident and broke loose again after about 6 months.

The plastic shielding under the engine has been held up with zip ties for about 3 years. One of them just broke the other day. My exhaust pipe connecting the cat and the muffler rusted through and broke during the latest ice storm.

Good times.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

My saga with Audi and the RS7 has come to an end. They gave us our money back. It's sad because it was a dream car in a way and under different circumstances I think we would have gotten another one. However the pandemic and shortage of everything messed that up. Audi was great to me, from the dealer, to the regional folks. They really did do everything they could to make it right.

Now I need to find another rocket ship sedan before we go on vacation this summer, but I'm not sure with the prices the way they are if I'll pull the trigger.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

IMADreamer wrote:
March 19 22, 12:01 pm
My saga with Audi and the RS7 has come to an end. They gave us our money back. It's sad because it was a dream car in a way and under different circumstances I think we would have gotten another one. However the pandemic and shortage of everything messed that up. Audi was great to me, from the dealer, to the regional folks. They really did do everything they could to make it right.

Now I need to find another rocket ship sedan before we go on vacation this summer, but I'm not sure with the prices the way they are if I'll pull the trigger.
Wow, what a shame….so basically they weren’t able to put a new engine in it due to shortages, therefore they refunded you the cost of the vehicle to you? Pretty good of Audi to do that, but I guess they were left w/o many options.

How about a M5 Competition?

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

cardinalkarp wrote:
March 19 22, 12:14 pm
IMADreamer wrote:

Wow, what a shame….so basically they weren’t able to put a new engine in it due to shortages, therefore they refunded you the cost of the vehicle to you? Pretty good of Audi to do that, but I guess they were left w/o many options.

Yeah, pretty much. It's my understanding they can't keep up with new production let alone spare engines. Like I said though Audi was top notch to work with, always friendly, always checking in and keeping me up to date. I think had this happened a few years ago it would have been a pretty easy fix, swap in a new engine, and I'm back on the road.

Not sure what's next. The M5 is cool, but the styling doesn't do it for me. I wish the CT5-V Blackwing wasn't bonkers right now. It's about 50k too expensive for me. There is a really cool Audi RS5 in this green color that looks sweet in the Fenton, Mo area for sale. Not sure I'm ready to dive into Audi again though, but the RS5 isn't the RS7 and I have no idea if it has any problems. So I don't know. The big fast sedan market is dying and it makes me sad.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

IMADreamer wrote:
March 19 22, 1:41 pm
cardinalkarp wrote:
March 19 22, 12:14 pm
IMADreamer wrote:

Yeah, pretty much. It's my understanding they can't keep up with new production let alone spare engines. Like I said though Audi was top notch to work with, always friendly, always checking in and keeping me up to date. I think had this happened a few years ago it would have been a pretty easy fix, swap in a new engine, and I'm back on the road.

Not sure what's next. The M5 is cool, but the styling doesn't do it for me. I wish the CT5-V Blackwing wasn't bonkers right now. It's about 50k too expensive for me. There is a really cool Audi RS5 in this green color that looks sweet in the Fenton, Mo area for sale. Not sure I'm ready to dive into Audi again though, but the RS5 isn't the RS7 and I have no idea if it has any problems. So I don't know. The big fast sedan market is dying and it makes me sad.
Yeah I get that. BMW styling is what it is….you either like it or don’t as everything looks similar, just gets larger in size. The thing is a beast though.

Those caddy’s are awesome as well as your well familiar since you’ve already owned the CTS-V.

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

So apparently the new thing on cars (BMW) is going to be “micro-transactions” where you have to pay per month/year/unlimited for things like heated seats and adaptive cruise control. So the car comes “equipped” w/ those features but you have to pay a monthly fee to unlock those features via the software.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

cardinalkarp wrote:
July 12 22, 1:33 pm
So apparently the new thing on cars (BMW) is going to be “micro-transactions” where you have to pay per month/year/unlimited for things like heated seats and adaptive cruise control. So the car comes “equipped” w/ those features but you have to pay a monthly fee to unlock those features via the software.
Cannot wait for Seattle's full lightrail system to be finished where my car reliance is practically nil.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

cardinalkarp wrote:
July 12 22, 1:33 pm
I've been reading about it and I hate it. They haven't done it yet but I heard Toyota was thinking about doing it as well. I have thought about getting a GR86 to cruise around in for a few years but I also don't want to support a company that is thinking about micro transactions.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

A couple weekends ago my truck (2015 GMC Sierra) starts acting up - engine shaking pretty badly, check engine light flashing. F. I limp it home and set up an appointment to get it checked out. The truck is in fantastic shape - about 44k miles, and I only put about 1500 miles a year on it to and from the office and running errands around town. I figure best case a bad motor mount, worst case something causing a misfire.

Nope. Somehow one of the pushrods bent and broke, and now not only do they have to do all the work to replace that, they have to find where the broken off portion went (hopefully just in the oil pan). Looking like at least $4000 to get it fixed as a best case. Worst case? It may have screwed up the camshaft too, where I'm probably looking at a full engine replacement. Fffffffffffudge.

Warranty? 100,000 miles! Oh wait. Crap! 5 years. FfffffffffffffffffffffffUDGE!