Rant - Cars

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Rant - Cars

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

When it comes to cars, I'm a DIY guy. But my Pontiac is pissing the [expletive] off. I've been freaking lost as to what's wrong with the damn thing for a couple months now. Just thought you all should know that it's pissing me off.

ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star

Re: Rant - Cars

Post by ThatGuy »

Have this instead:
Last edited by ThatGuy on September 30 09, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Radio_Bugtussle
Perennial All-Star

Post by Radio_Bugtussle »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:When it comes to cars, I'm a DIY guy. But my Pontiac is pissing the [expletive] off. I've been freaking lost as to what's wrong with the damn thing for a couple months now. Just thought you all should know that it's pissing me off.
What sort of Pontiac do you have and what is it doing or not doing.

I've been wearing 'em out since 1996. Mine have always been solid until 200 to 250-thousand miles.

InvincibleCakeEater

Radio_Bugtussle wrote:
InvincibleCakeEater wrote:When it comes to cars, I'm a DIY guy. But my Pontiac is pissing the [expletive] off. I've been freaking lost as to what's wrong with the damn thing for a couple months now. Just thought you all should know that it's pissing me off.

I've been wearing 'em out since 1996. Mine have always been solid until 200 to 250-thousand miles.
This is 95 GT 3100 V6. Will not cold start without a shot of starting fluid. Also making a weird cough from the upper intake manifold. Like it's developing back pressure. When I do get it started it will idle really roughly and bog down and choke when I try to give it gas. I'm now leaning towards it being a timing issue, but I'm unsure. Just seems to fit with the symptoms. Started running a little rougher, then had problems starting on occasion and then would not start.

Radio_Bugtussle
Perennial All-Star

Post by Radio_Bugtussle »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:
Radio_Bugtussle wrote:

This is 95 GT 3100 V6. Will not cold start without a shot of starting fluid. Also making a weird cough from the upper intake manifold. Like it's developing back pressure. When I do get it started it will idle really roughly and bog down and choke when I try to give it gas. I'm now leaning towards it being a timing issue, but I'm unsure. Just seems to fit with the symptoms. Started running a little rougher, then had problems starting on occasion and then would not start.
Engine computer? Oxygen sensor?

I had a '96 Grand Am with the larger of the 4 cylinder engines. That car would develop moisture in the gas line when weather conditions were right. 30 to 40 degrees and high humidity but no precipitation would result in a problem unless heet or something like that was added to the gas tank.

Also had problems on that car with the check engine light coming on after the engine had been running for about two minutes with temperatures below 20 degrees. This was apparently a flaw in the engine computer program. Didn't like the thick, cold oil. The engine computer would also mess with the gas and air supply to where the engine would miss once and trip the check engine light when the weather was cold. A change of oxygen sensors lessened the problems.

I wonder if the timing thing is really a problem in the engine computer based on my experiences.

Wore out an '02 Grand Prix without a sign of either problem. Currently driving an '08 G6 with the basic V6. Almost broken in nicely at 58 thousand...

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

yea, almost sounds like you have a blown gasket or a blown O2 sensor, either way it sounds like your air fuel ratio is off

InvincibleCakeEater

I'm currently thinking it's the EGR or computer

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I'm currently thinking it's the EGR or computer
could be, dealership should be able to flash the ECU for cheap

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

This is a thread that needs to be bumped.

I took my Impala to my usual mechanic to look at the brakes. He replaced the pads and rotors and also fixed the power button on the seat that was being problematic. $286.

While I was traveling I could tell I needed brakes done on my Jeep as well. Stopped at Firestone for an inspection and they confirmed it would need pads and rotors; and they really wanted to do the work. They were outrageous; something like 800 bucks. Took to a place that had decent online reviews (out of town so I couldn't go to my usual guy). Replaced pads and rotors, $653. Hell of a racket these guys got.

Moral of the story; find a good honest mechanic that you can deal with.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

CardsofSTL wrote:
July 9 21, 1:54 pm

Moral of the story; find a good honest mechanic that you can deal with.
Hell yes. In my experience, find the local auto shop with a parking area that looks like a used car lot. Call them up and if they say they are a week or two out, you found your place.