Rant: Winter Weather

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Rant: Winter Weather

Post by jim »

Well that was an enjoyable 200 mile death march home today. Actually we can't complain too much, these people stuck in airports and what not I can't imagine.

edit ... news weather tonight said we got 12". Yesterday they forecast 1-3, this morning bumped it up to 2-5, and we got 12. Nice forecasting [expletive]. Took us almost 2 hours to drive from Morris, IL to Geneva, IL ... normally we do that easily in under an hour.

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Re: Rant: Winter Weather

Post by JL21 »

Yeah, I think I've seen one inch of snow since February. Actually, that's being really generous, because I'm positive it's less than an inch of snow.

But hey, that's cool. For the 9th year in a row, I enjoyed a brown [expletive] Christmas just months after sweating my nuts off throughout the late spring, summer, and early fall.

In short, I agree with this rant for completely different reasons.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

I agree with this rant for even still further different reasons. No matter how North I go, snow seems to avoid me. And everytime I depart, it comes as soon as I leave, and is gone by the time I return.

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

whiterat24 wrote:Yesterday they forecast 1-3
yep...it was supposed to stop around noon. It snowed all freaking day. It's still snowing for Christsake.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Getting a real snow here in lovely inner ghettoey city St Louis.

tscards
Veteran Player

Post by tscards »

We got close to 20 inches over the past 4 days or so. Was actually very nice since we had no travel plans & just stayed in and played with the kids. Had a blast playing in the snow with them!

jim

Post by jim »

We run our asses off over Christmas, from the north shore of Chicago to downtown on Christmas Eve and then 200 miles south to Springfield, IL Christmas day and then back the next. At least 500+ miles of driving over a 48 hour period, so weather is a very big issue for us. And so far knock on wood we've managed to aviod anything that completely shutdown our plans. Although yesterday was pretty close, that was the worst weather I have driven in a quite a while. I was watching in real time cars spinning out and going into ditches on IL 47. I thought ahead and bought 280 pounds of tube sand to put in the bed of the truck, and with the 4 wheel drive and lots of caution and some luck we made it without incident.

And lipp is right, it is stilll coming down. It looks like at least another 2-3 on top of the 12. The only saving grace was that it was very easy to shovel, very light and fluffy.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

How much snow did the city get? I want to know what I'm coming back to tomorrow. (Michael, HJ, I'm looking at you guys)

Michael
GRB Founder

Post by Michael »

G. Keenan wrote:How much snow did the city get? I want to know what I'm coming back to tomorrow. (Michael, HJ, I'm looking at you guys)
I don't know where you are, but I wouldn't come back.

jim

Post by jim »

Why does anyone like snow? I mean I understand playing in it is fun ... skiing, snowmobiling, etc.. I enjoy that. But in a place like Chicago or St. Louis where those options really don't exist, why? Cuddling by the fire to simulate fending off death hyperthermia just doesn't cut it for me.