Rant: Winter Weather

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Rant: Winter Weather

Post by IMADreamer »

Another big snow here tomorrow. They are talking near blizzard conditions. My wife's work has already canceled for tomorrow so I guess we get to stay inside and watch it snow.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

The seasons have shifted here. The wind now comes from the south, the water at the beach is getting warmer, and I can smell the ocean from my house a few miles away. During winter, the winds predominantly come from the north and I cannot smell the sea air. You guys are almost out of it.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

All the snow is gone up here. Sunny & pushing 60 today. Then the southerly winds come thru. Down to 14 tonight. 32 tomorrow, then 24 tomorrow with 8-12” expected. I’m not smelling the sea.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

South Florida is on iguana watch. This means that temps will fall to the low 30's and our iguana population will go into a temporary coma that causes them to appear dead/fall out of trees, etc. They will wake up when temps return to the 40's.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

thrill wrote:
December 22 22, 10:09 am
South Florida is on iguana watch. This means that temps will fall to the low 30's and our iguana population will go into a temporary coma that causes them to appear dead/fall out of trees, etc. They will wake up when temps return to the 40's.
I heard a weather guy say they will be watching for falling iguanas in Florida and I had no idea what he meant. That's fascinating.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Alligators do something kinda similar: they semi-freeze themselves and lower their body temperature but stick their snouts above the surface of the water to breathe. I saw a video on Twitter of a guy basically chiseling out the surface around the gator's snout to "help them out."

They've been around longer than dinosaurs, I think they know what they're doing.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Big old orange iguana lives in the bushes outside my house with a smaller, green guy who follows him around while he forages. Gonna keep an eye out for him. Hope he makes it.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

IMADreamer wrote:
December 22 22, 10:24 am
thrill wrote:
December 22 22, 10:09 am
I heard a weather guy say they will be watching for falling iguanas in Florida and I had no idea what he meant. That's fascinating.
Pat Riley tells a funny story about how when he first moved to Miami and it happened, he thought the iguana in his yard was dead, so he went to bury it, only to have it spring to life and scare the hell out of him right when he was about to fill in the dirt.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

It was -26 all day Tuesday where I was working. I didn't see any dead iguanas.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Leroy wrote:
December 22 22, 11:06 am
It was -26 all day Tuesday where I was working. I didn't see any dead iguanas.
When did you move your office to the arctic circle??