Cats

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Re: Cats

Post by AdmiralKird »

I don't like going into people's houses and being jumped on by two or three large dogs. The last thing I want is to be rampaged the second I enter an establishment. Its the same thing every time, you ring the doorbell, dogs bark and howl for 20 seconds until the owner comes, lets you in, the dogs jump on you, the owner yells at their dogs and they don't pay attention, the owners grab them and yell their name(s), then they settle down. It's the same ritual over and over again. I just feel like dogs aren't laid back enough for me, they're always on edge and alert and just need to calm down.

My parents have had four cats, I've never had one to take care of personally. One of them was very lovable and would always climb on peoples' laps, never hiss, never bite or claw, the others generally just don't care about you or get really moody if you try and pet them. I'm an animal person around animals that reciprocate with affection but otherwise I'm just not into being a dog/cat person.

That said though, I could see myself having a rough collie, like Lassie, or even a very affectionate cat, but I don't think I could ever be a cat/dog person.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Just had to put to sleep one of the good ones last night. RIP, little Maggie Doodle. That's two guys since Aug. and it's the end of an era. I got Maggie my first year out of college.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Sorry to hear that, pal.

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

That's always rough, Planet. You'll always remember her, but eventually you'll remember all the good times without much intrusion from the last bad memory. Hang in there.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, planet. That's rough. Please accept my condolences.

Molly
Perennial All-Star

Post by Molly »

planet pujolsian wrote:Just had to put to sleep one of the good ones last night. RIP, little Maggie Doodle. That's two guys since Aug. and it's the end of an era. I got Maggie my first year out of college.
So sorry planet. Maggie is with her friend on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge and is happy and healthy again.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

cardsfansince82 wrote:Roughly one out of twenty cats are worthwhile. But that one isn't worth trying to find. Just the shedding hair and smell are a deal breaker for me.
I have two. I should say TheMissuz54 has two, she had them before she had me. One is worthwhile. Damn near a dog. Good dude. The other is a lazy pile of fat. One for two: I'm beating the odds!

JL21
NPR & THT Contributor

Post by JL21 »

themiddle54 wrote:
cardsfansince82 wrote:Roughly one out of twenty cats are worthwhile. But that one isn't worth trying to find. Just the shedding hair and smell are a deal breaker for me.
I have two. I should say TheMissuz54 has two, she had them before she had me. One is worthwhile. Damn near a dog. Good dude. The other is a lazy pile of fat. One for two: I'm beating the odds!
If it's too fat to scratch you or get up onto a couch to stick his fat ass in your face, I'd say that's two wins.

themiddle54
Perennial All-Star

Post by themiddle54 »

JL21 wrote:
themiddle54 wrote:
If it's too fat to scratch you or get up onto a couch to stick his fat ass in your face, I'd say that's two wins.
19 pounds. The couch is low, so he can get up there, but he can't get on the bed any more. Solution? Sit at the foot of the bed and cry until my wife or I pick him up and put him on the bed. Then he jumps down after about 3 minutes. That cat is a dick.

The other is amazing. Soon as I'm out of bed in the morning, he follows me to the bathroom, sits and waits for me to get out of the shower, beats me to the front door and gets on his back feet and literally tries to stop me from going out the door. Loyal, friendly, everything you want in a pet. When he goes to the vet (which sadly is often now) and they take his blood pressure, they do this thing where they take a cat's BP like 6 times and average it out, since cats freak out when that thing squeezes their leg. This guy goes 144, 144, 146, 144, 144, 144, etc. and the nurses just laugh at how calm he is. Cool as the other side of the pillow. Freak of nature that cat.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Cats are hilarious. They always try to lay in things that are two sizes too small for them.