Cats

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Post Reply
User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 26501
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: Cats

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

Business cat kills me
[SHOW]
Image
[SHOW]
Image

User avatar
Molly
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4789
Joined: May 10 06, 9:57 am
Location: 6.6 miles from Busch III

Re: Cats

Post by Molly »

The Third Man wrote:We can at least all agree that LOLcats are a blight on humanity, right?
Image

User avatar
Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8796
Joined: April 14 06, 9:50 pm

Re: Cats

Post by Bo Hart »

Growing up, we had both a cat and a dog. I can see qualities in both pets.

Dogs are great because they have a lot of energy. Like you said Geen, it's fun to be able to wrestle around with them, go for runs, etc; at the same time, that energy is not always a good thing. I don't like it when I'm trying to relax and dogs jump all over me. They're stronger and have a lot more force to their landing when cats do. I'm not saying it hurts or anything like that, I'm just saying that it's irritating and a lot more distracting.

Cats require a lot less maintenance. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a doggy door, you're going to have to be constantly getting up to let the dog out. That becomes a chore. Also, in my experiences, dogs are too stupid to limit how much they eat. If you leave three servings of food out, it'll eat all of it at once. With a cat, you can leave three servings of food and it'll eat until it's full and then come back later in the day for more meals.

Also, I think the number one benefit cats have over dogs is their cuddle factor. Cats are great at curling up on your chest and in your arms to lay down and take a nap with you. I haven't encountered very many dogs that are good at doing that. At best, they'll lay at the foot of your bed. I think cats blow dogs out of the water in this regard.

I can see how someone could maybe not enjoy cats because they find them dull, but I honestly don't see how someone could dislike cats (EDIT: but I guess you said you didn't dislike them in your post) -- they do very little to distract or bother you compared to dogs. On the contrary, I can totally understand how someone could just flat-out dislike dogs.

I don't have either, but I do like both cats and dogs.
Last edited by Bo Hart on February 22 11, 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36131
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Cats

Post by JL21 »

Is that cat quoting Patrick Bateman? Because that's fan-[expletive]-tastic.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy
Posts: 24994
Joined: April 15 06, 6:25 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Cats

Post by planet planet »

Did I also mention that one of my cats goes to the bathroom in the toilet? No training at all, just figured it out. That's pretty smart.

User avatar
wart57
just can't quit you.
Posts: 25025
Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
Location: Lost

Re: Cats

Post by wart57 »

G. Keenan wrote:I know this will offend many, as it should, but what is the point of cats? I don't get their appeal. 99% of the time they ignore you. They are indifferent to your presence unless they want something from you like food or a scratch someplace they can't get at themselves. The 1% of the time they do pay attention to you is usually when you are not paying attention to them and focusing on something else, which drives them crazy causing them to walk all over your keyboard, stick their butt in your face, etc. Or, when you do pet them, they refuse to let you stop until they've decided they've had enough, at which point they often bite you and run away. No matter what "rules" you have for them they do whatever the [expletive] they want. You can bet while you're out of the house they are walking all over the counters, tables, etc. This animal craps in a box, necessitating that you maintain a crap-filled box somewhere in your house, paws around in that crap-box, then walks all over your food preparation area yet somehow they have a reputation for being clean. If they're mad at you for whatever inscrutable reason they will take it out by crapping somewhere inconvenient for you as a lesson. Their food smells bad, always giving your house the faint but ever-present smell of cats. If they piss or puke somewhere, forget it, might as well throw that thing out. Their hair gets on everything. You can't take them for walks, or to the park, or wrestle with them, or go camping with them. All they do is sleep and pad around the house in their own little world. Occasionally you can dangle a string in front of them or watch them chase a shadow around, which is fun for about 10 minutes, but then they go back to resenting you and wishing they lived elsewhere.

I'm not saying that I hate your cats. If I come to your house I will play with your cats, say nice things about them, and accept your decision to have these sociopaths in your home, but I can't understand it.
What you described sounds just like a hipster chick (except the crapping in a box thinhg,) I am confounded that you don't love cats.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 29237
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: extremely online

Re: Cats

Post by thrill »

JL21 wrote:Is that cat quoting Patrick Bateman? Because that's fan-[expletive]-tastic.
Of course.

User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8909
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Cats

Post by The Third Man »

planet pujolsian wrote:Did I also mention that one of my cats goes to the bathroom in the toilet? No training at all, just figured it out. That's pretty smart.
He can't flush the toilet. He lacks the strength and the opposable thumbs.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27874
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: Cats

Post by cardsfansince82 »

thrill wrote:
JL21 wrote:Is that cat quoting Patrick Bateman? Because that's fan-[expletive]-tastic.
Of course.
Speaking of which, I just watched that movie recently for the first time in years. That movie is seriously underrated.

User avatar
Swirls
gone fission
Posts: 8290
Joined: December 11 07, 4:15 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: Cats

Post by Swirls »

Kyle wrote:Growing up, we had both a cat and a dog. I can see qualities in both pets.

Dogs are great because they have a lot of energy. Like you said Geen, it's fun to be able to wrestle around with them, go for runs, etc; at the same time, that energy is not always a good thing. I don't like it when I'm trying to relax and dogs jump all over me. They're stronger and have a lot more force to their landing when cats do. I'm not saying it hurts or anything like that, I'm just saying that it's irritating and a lot more distracting.

Cats require a lot less maintenance. Unless you are fortunate enough to have a doggy door, you're going to have to be constantly getting up to let the dog out. That becomes a chore. Also, in my experiences, dogs are too stupid to limit how much they eat. If you leave three servings of food out, it'll eat all of it at once. With a cat, you can leave three servings of food and it'll eat until it's full and then come back later in the day for more meals.

Also, I think the number one benefit cats have over dogs is their cuddle factor. Cats are great at curling up on your chest and in your arms to lay down and take a nap with you. I haven't encountered very many dogs that are good at doing that. At best, they'll lay at the foot of your bed. I think cats blow dogs out of the water in this regard.

I can see how someone could maybe not enjoy cats because they find them dull, but I honestly don't see how someone could dislike cats (EDIT: but I guess you said you didn't dislike them in your post) -- they do very little to distract or bother you compared to dogs. On the contrary, I can totally understand how someone could just flat-out dislike dogs.

I don't have either, but I do like both cats and dogs.
My dog does everything he possibly can to cuddle with me when I'm watching TV on the couch or while I'm asleep in bed. When I'm watching TV with my feet on my ottoman, he'll lay up against me with his head on my leg as a pillow. When I'm going to sleep, he may lay down on the foot of the bed but he'll usually curl up on Mrs. Swirls' old spot on the bed and rest his head on her pillow. Within a few hours, he'll have slowly scooted over to where he's sleeping up against me and sharing my pillow.

Post Reply