Old people's obsession with gas prices.

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Re: Old people's obsession with gas prices.

Post by IMADreamer »

Went for a fun drive yesterday and when I was done it cost me 14 dollars to fill up with premium. A lot of times I don't even pay attention to what it costs because I need gas either way. Still that was nice.

cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.

Post by cardsfansince82 »

$1.65. Going to be free before long.

There was a story about a guy driving 12 hours to murder his whole family and a comment on the article blamed Obama for gas being cheap enough to allow the guy to afford his trip. It was not a joke.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Freed Roger wrote:Was hoping for super-cheap air fare out of this, but apparently the demand for flights is up, so the ticket prices are remaining steady.
Airfare's [expletive].

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Jocephus wrote:when i first started driving it was stll like, 80 cents a gallon. then it just went up and up and up
Right - this is the most significant change in 30 years. So yeah, old people are the ones that will obsess the most.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
Jocephus wrote:when i first started driving it was stll like, 80 cents a gallon. then it just went up and up and up
Right - this is the most significant change in 30 years. So yeah, old people are the ones that will obsess the most.
I remember paying 75 cents back in 1993 in South Carolina. For some reason they were about 10-15 cents lower than most other places. Back in NC, my folks were paying around 90 or so. I think it started climbing from there onward.

That was a low period after gas had already gone over a dollar for a while. I remember my high school physics teacher being convinced gas would never go under a dollar - that would have been around 1990 or so.

And we wore onions on our belts, etc....

stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother

Post by stlouie_lipp »

cardsfansince82 wrote:$1.65. Going to be free before long.

There was a story about a guy driving 12 hours to murder his whole family and a comment on the article blamed Obama for gas being cheap enough to allow the guy to afford his trip. It was not a joke.
Might not have been a joke but it is pretty funny.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

planet planet wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:Was hoping for super-cheap air fare out of this, but apparently the demand for flights is up, so the ticket prices are remaining steady.
Airfare's [expletive].
Yeah, this cheap oil is relatively egalitarian direct economic break amongst car commuters, people that rely public transportion -they won't get much out of this.

Interesting economic times on who reaps the windfall directly or indirectly on the business end.
Wal-Mart Targets etc- I'm sure they won't be lowering prices any time soon. Like airfare - demand for the product will still be key in what drives the price. Distributors are reaping, though depends if they face competitive bidding wars for distribution contracts.

It's funny, the IRS raised the 2015 Standard mileage reimbursement rate a penny and half to 57.5c per mile -windfall for reimbursed traveling sales reps

The reality though - for many people and many businesses that are under water - this price drop is just an air tank being sent down to help them out for a while.
Last edited by Freed Roger on January 16 15, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Post by planet planet »

Freed Roger wrote:
planet planet wrote:
Airfare's [expletive].
Yeah, this cheap oil is relatively egalitarian direct economic break, except those that rely public transportion -they won't get much out of this

Interesting economic times on who reaps the windfall directly or indirectly on the business end.
Wal-Mart Targets etc- I'm sure they won't be lowering prices any time soon. Like airfare - demand for the product will still be key in what drives the price. Distributors are reaping, though depends if they face competitive bidding wars for distribution contracts.

It's funny, the IRS raised the 2015 Standard mileage reimbursement rate a penny and half to 57.5c per mile -windfall for traveling sales reps.

The reality though - for many people and many businesses that are under water - this price drop is just an air tank being sent down to help them out for a while.
I love my company and there are many perks, but for some reason they were only reimbursing us $.33/mile in 2014. Now they've increased it to the fed standard rate this year as gas prices have plummeted. Weird, but I'll take it!

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

planet planet wrote:
Freed Roger wrote: It's funny, the IRS raised the 2015 Standard mileage reimbursement rate a penny and half to 57.5c per mile -windfall for traveling sales reps.
I love my company and there are many perks, but for some reason they were only reimbursing us $.33/mile in 2014. Now they've increased it to the fed standard rate this year as gas prices have plummeted. Weird, but I'll take it!
My wife's company went to the federal rate a few years ago which pleased us greatly . The tax write-off for the portion unreimbursed below federal rate is rarely a tax write-off at all (limits).

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

You people lack perspective. This old person filled up once for $0.19/gallon back in 1972.