Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Getting into shape

Post by GeddyWrox »

Don't shy away from other forms of fat (but stay on top of calorie intake... all things in moderation, of course). Things like cheese, avocado, almonds, olives... all those sources of fat help satiate if you're having trouble staving off hunger. The keto mantra is to eat your protein up to X grams per day, and then use healthy fats to stay satiated. Also, veggies are important for nutrients too of course. Rule of thumb with veggies: If grows above ground, it's probably fine (carb-wise) - except corn. Below-ground veggies tend to be carb-y (potatoes, onions).

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Jocephus wrote:
July 13 21, 4:16 pm
im not diabetic but i did the "no breakfast or lunch" thing for like, 15 years and i think it was bad for me. just made me eat more in teh evening.
Yeah, if you go from eating a slice of pizza at breakfast, a slice of pizza at lunch, and two slices of pizza at dinner to eating 4 slices of pizza at dinner, I doubt there's much benefit. What made you think it was bad for you though? Generally curious, I've not seen much on the issue, just made the decision somewhat willy nilly after hearing a friend talk about it and experimenting a little that turned into a more/less full time thing.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
July 14 21, 11:46 am
Jocephus wrote:
im not diabetic but i did the "no breakfast or lunch" thing for like, 15 years and i think it was bad for me. just made me eat more in teh evening.
Yeah, if you go from eating a slice of pizza at breakfast, a slice of pizza at lunch, and two slices of pizza at dinner to eating 4 slices of pizza at dinner, I doubt there's much benefit. What made you think it was bad for you though? Generally curious, I've not seen much on the issue, just made the decision somewhat willy nilly after hearing a friend talk about it and experimenting a little that turned into a more/less full time thing.
ate too much in the evenings ('cause i was starving by that time), major stomach issues the next day until about 1pm. it was a bad cycle but i kept doing it 'cause i thought it helped. now i have a cliff/protein bar for breakfast, some carrots/baby tomatos for lunch (during the week, weekends i usually have a "larger" lunch) then whatever for dinner. so basically 2 light things then a decent dinner.

im sure the 1 meal a day works for people but ultimately it wasn't a great fit for me...took me long enough to realize though...

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Leroy wrote:
July 14 21, 9:03 am
I haven't taken any insulin since June 28. And I was taking a lot before. A lot.

I do eat breakfast. One fried egg. Rest of the day, no bread, wraps, pasta, fruit even some vegetables. What I do have is almost all meat, green beans as the side. There are enough varieties of meats that I can be happy. Workout every night, sometimes in the morning if night won't work.

I probably should take a multivitamin, but wanted to get a handle on A1c first. All of it appears to be working pretty good.
:thumb: :thumb:

Good to hear.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Jocephus wrote:
July 14 21, 11:53 am
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
July 14 21, 11:46 am
Jocephus wrote:
ate too much in the evenings ('cause i was starving by that time), major stomach issues the next day until about 1pm. it was a bad cycle but i kept doing it 'cause i thought it helped. now i have a cliff/protein bar for breakfast, some carrots/baby tomatos for lunch (during the week, weekends i usually have a "larger" lunch) then whatever for dinner. so basically 2 light things then a decent dinner.

im sure the 1 meal a day works for people but ultimately it wasn't a great fit for me...took me long enough to realize though...
Hey, at least you figured it out.

I had a couple friends drop about 20-30 lbs (~250 --> ~220) over the course of a month or two and then plateaued. I imagine at some point there's a point where, even if there is a reduction in calorie intake, there will still be a point where the decrease in calorie consumption associated with lower weights equals out and weight loss stops without something else.

Regardless, Mrs. AW got me a fitness tracker that tracks heart rate, heart rate variability, sleep, strain, etc. I noticed after eating, my heart rate increases, and I feel tired a lot of the times which doesn't coincide well with work, per se. I'm not married to the intermittent fasting regimen but have found it more beneficial than harmful in the short term, for me at least.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

I guess this is as good a place to put it. Mrs. AW got me a WHOOP fitness tracker. It's a wristband with a sensor slightly smaller than an iwatch. There is no display on it and it shoot all the information via bluetooth to your phone. At first, I was like...meh, this is kind of goofy but I've come around and find it somewhat useful.

My sleep schedule is rather [expletive] and includes coming back to work a lot from about 8pm til midnight or so. One of the metrics the whoop tracks is your heart rate variability that it measures during sleep and uses to measure sleep/recovery. At first, I was pretty skeptical. But, over time, I've been pretty impressed at how well it 'predicts' how I'm going to feel for the day and how it should probably be given more attention.

Still wouldn't recommend the whoop, but there are worse things you can do for yourself.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I just crossed the 18 week straight workout number. Mostly at a gym called Anytime Fitness, that is good since there are some of them in the towns I go to also. If I can't do the gym or the fitness stuff at the hotel, I just run, but even though that didn't create issues before, at my age, pounding on concrete is getting harder to do.
Anyway, I've lost probably what amounts to 1/4 pound a day, and I just crossed the number that BMI charts no longer classify me as 'overweight'. Again, I'm not worried about weight, it is more to keep diabetes under control which is working swimmingly. I would like to slim the Busch Belly, and that is happening...slower than I hoped but it took me thirty years to get where I was anyway.

Still off carbs, and that just seems like a good thing for a diabetic.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Wow congrats, Leroy. That's a great milestone to cross!

cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardinalkarp »

Leroy wrote:
September 7 21, 2:13 pm
I just crossed the 18 week straight workout number. Mostly at a gym called Anytime Fitness, that is good since there are some of them in the towns I go to also. If I can't do the gym or the fitness stuff at the hotel, I just run, but even though that didn't create issues before, at my age, pounding on concrete is getting harder to do.
Anyway, I've lost probably what amounts to 1/4 pound a day, and I just crossed the number that BMI charts no longer classify me as 'overweight'. Again, I'm not worried about weight, it is more to keep diabetes under control which is working swimmingly. I would like to slim the Busch Belly, and that is happening...slower than I hoped but it took me thirty years to get where I was anyway.

Still off carbs, and that just seems like a good thing for a diabetic.
Great work Leroy….if these times have taught us anything it’s how important our health can be.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

So I went to the doctor yesterday. For the first time I wasn't afraid to hear my A1C because I knew it would be good but not sure how good. It was a 5.9! Wow, I haven't been below 7.5 since I found out I was diabetic, and my worst was 11.2 which is just embarrassing.

The other news was that I have lost 32 pounds since May 4, my last visit. A welcome side effect to the 150 days of hard friggin work.