Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Good for you. I need to re-commit myself again. Just need to get back to tracking what I eat on most days and doing something active everyday. Even if it's only 15 minutes. That's how I lost 20 lbs in April.

I'm back in the office most days again (3 days a week) and not eating at work is easy. It was being home all day working in my kitchen or family room.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I have been doing workouts for 64 days now, every day. Also really, really limiting carbs. Neither for weight loss, but to get a handle on my diabetes. I did a bunch of tests for life insurance last week and my A1C was down to 6.3%. It was much higher when I started this whole program, so I'm pretty excited. Today is a good day.

I have lost about 15 pounds, but like I said that isn't why I have been so dedicated. My numbers were just really bad. The meeting with the nutritionist a couple of months ago showed me that sugar isn't the devil to a diabetic, carbs are. I wish someone would have walked me through that 5 years ago when I learned I was diabetic.

To shill a product, they put me on this Dexcom scanner that shoots out your glucose readings every five minutes to my phone. It makes it so much easier to know what has a bad effect on glucose and what doesn't.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Leroy wrote:
July 13 21, 12:27 pm
I have been doing workouts for 64 days now, every day. Also really, really limiting carbs. Neither for weight loss, but to get a handle on my diabetes. I did a bunch of tests for life insurance last week and my A1C was down to 6.3%. It was much higher when I started this whole program, so I'm pretty excited. Today is a good day.

I have lost about 15 pounds, but like I said that isn't why I have been so dedicated. My numbers were just really bad. The meeting with the nutritionist a couple of months ago showed me that sugar isn't the devil to a diabetic, carbs are. I wish someone would have walked me through that 5 years ago when I learned I was diabetic.

To shill a product, they put me on this Dexcom scanner that shoots out your glucose readings every five minutes to my phone. It makes it so much easier to know what has a bad effect on glucose and what doesn't.
Kudos for sticking with it Leroy. When I started eating keto, it was for weight loss. I quickly reversed my T2D diagnosis for an added benefit. Despite me putting on about 20ish lbs the last year, I'm still eating very low carb (maybe not technically "keto" anymore) and my A1C was just 5.7 yesterday at a doc appointment. I love carbs, but holy moly I feel so much better when I'm staying true to my diet. Carbs are a drug, man.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

I know it. I can deal without bread, but the pasta has taken some willpower.

Just to show, my glucose was at 120ish one morning. Instead of frying an egg, I ate one piece of white bread toast. I shot up to around 200 and it stayed there until I was able to take a walk a few hours later. Wow.

One of the best things to happen to a diabetic is the Keto stuff, because a lot of places now have items particularly for that diet, which isn't much different than mine.

I'm thinking after a full three months of my program, a 6.0 A1c seems possible. That would really be something.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Leroy wrote:
July 13 21, 1:21 pm
I know it. I can deal without bread, but the pasta has taken some willpower.

Just to show, my glucose was at 120ish one morning. Instead of frying an egg, I ate one piece of white bread toast. I shot up to around 200 and it stayed there until I was able to take a walk a few hours later. Wow.

One of the best things to happen to a diabetic is the Keto stuff, because a lot of places now have items particularly for that diet, which isn't much different than mine.

I'm thinking after a full three months of my program, a 6.0 A1c seems possible. That would really be something.
NO JOKE on the pasta. Pizza was a killer for me. And beer. But I got used to it.

The last 6 months or so, I've been really leaning on this for my bread:

It has pretty good texture for a "keto" bread, and if you toast it, it is just like regular old white bread. It's amazing to be able to have buttered toast or toast w/ cream cheese again. OMFG.

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Also, if you really miss beer but don't really care for regular Mich Ultra, this is a pretty good beer:
(size spoiler)
[SHOW]
It has a hint of that nice toasted malt that you would expect from a good amber. Only 3.2 carbs -- I can easily drink two or three and be pretty satisfied without killing my carb count for the day.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

I'll have to look around for the bread. I'm guessing it may be hard to find around here.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I've been diabetic for...23 years. Sheesh.

There's been a lot of changes to technology in that time, but one of the biggest changes I've recently made is skipping breakfast and lunch. It hasn't had much of an overall impact on my a1c, not that I really get it checked anymore, but it's so much easier to control blood sugar by just...not eating.

Back when I first started all this, and on different types of insulin than I currently am, they wanted me to eat a controlled amount all the time. Wake up. Take this much of this insulin and this much of this insulin, eat this many carbs for breakfast, then have a snack around 10am with this many carbs, then eat this many carbs at lunch, then eat a snack with this many carbs at 3 pm, then take this much of this insulin and this much of this insulin and eat this many carbs at dinner and this many carbs before bed. That's not a knock on the doctors/healthcare workers, this was just standard care at the time. Now, it's take insulin in the morning, eat nothing until dinner, take whatever is needed to cover dinner and go to bed. One is easier to rinse/wash/repeat than the other.

Also, it helps to lose weight if you're interested in that and after a couple days, very easy to do.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

im not diabetic but i did the "no breakfast or lunch" thing for like, 15 years and i think it was bad for me. just made me eat more in teh evening.

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

I haven't taken any insulin since June 28. And I was taking a lot before. A lot.

I do eat breakfast. One fried egg. Rest of the day, no bread, wraps, pasta, fruit even some vegetables. What I do have is almost all meat, green beans as the side. There are enough varieties of meats that I can be happy. Workout every night, sometimes in the morning if night won't work.

I probably should take a multivitamin, but wanted to get a handle on A1c first. All of it appears to be working pretty good.