Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Getting into shape

Post by JCShutout »

175-178 for a little bit. At/a little under 17% bodyfat. Booyah.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

I'm at about 200 and would like to get down to ~175 or so. It's by no means a drop weigh fast goal, but one I'd like to maintain that involves losing some flab and getting more cut. So, about 5 weeks ago I dropped alcohol completely thinking that would help shed pounds. I even started finding extra ways to get steps in by taking the family to parks and hiking, going on extra runs, etc etc etc. None of that mattered because, well, it just made me more hungry. Dropping alcohol led to, in general, being more lethargic even though I was/am sleeping a lot better. With no time to modify an exercise routine that's already pretty packed, I'm not looking forward to modifying a diet that I rarely worried about but it's come to that. So, over the next couple months I'll probably start playing around with it with the goal of being able to have a plan come 2020 so a realistic resolution can be set to get down to 175 by 2021.

All that said, agree with Freed this is a really tough time. Lot's of people wanting to drink and eat to excess.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I'm at about 200 and would like to get down to ~175 or so. It's by no means a drop weigh fast goal, but one I'd like to maintain that involves losing some flab and getting more cut. So, about 5 weeks ago I dropped alcohol completely thinking that would help shed pounds. I even started finding extra ways to get steps in by taking the family to parks and hiking, going on extra runs, etc etc etc. None of that mattered because, well, it just made me more hungry. Dropping alcohol led to, in general, being more lethargic even though I was/am sleeping a lot better. With no time to modify an exercise routine that's already pretty packed, I'm not looking forward to modifying a diet that I rarely worried about but it's come to that. So, over the next couple months I'll probably start playing around with it with the goal of being able to have a plan come 2020 so a realistic resolution can be set to get down to 175 by 2021.

All that said, agree with Freed this is a really tough time. Lot's of people wanting to drink and eat to excess.
Kind of amazed that dropping alcohol didn't show weight loss results.
Though, for a while of abstaining, I craved sugars.

I honestly believe a beer or 2 a day is good for my health. Relax, less cortisol etc. But more than that, no.

Morning aerobic workout (running slow). That is money for weight loss. You set yourself for success. (I don't run mornings though, lol)

Keep at it man. Once you get some success, you'll feel empowered and know what works for you

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Thanks, it's all kind of about finding what works at this point, I guess.

Regarding sugar, being diabetic, it's pretty easy to track how much sugar is getting into the body's cells. Not to go too deep into it, but essentially I take insulin to replace insulin the pancreas doesn't produce. Insulin gets sugar from the bloodstream into the cells and the cells use it for energy to do...whatever it is they're supposed to do. There's two ways sugar gets into the bloodstream: food and the liver constantly secretes it. It's not this cut and dried, but after a week or two of cutting out alcohol, I reduced the amount of insulin needed to cover the sugar produced by the liver by about 10%. But, there were definitely cravings to eat more sugar, and it was Halloween time. If I cut 5 units of insulin out as it wasn't needed to cover sugar from the liver, I easily made up for it with insulin to cover candy. I know that has to stop, and with the candy recently running out, it will. Regardless, it's probably a net neutral for amount of insulin required over the last month. So, it makes sense the weight hasn't changed that much.

Still, take, let's say 30 drinks out a week and that's easily 3000 calories a week that are missing. I'd have thought that alone would lead to a weight loss. But, as mentioned, I've been pretty lethargic. There's not that need to prevent being sedentary that alcohol created. For instance, if I wanted to drink, I'd make sure that there was beer to drink, a cooler to pack, something to smoke on the grill, and more than likely multiple trips to the store for, well, more beer as well as odds and ends I'd forget (apple juice, a certain spice, a certain type of wood, lighters, fire starters, etc etc etc). It created a lot of steps. And, then the clean up created steps. And, I'd eat less because I was full of booze. I smoked a little pork butt last weekend and 1. remembered everything at the store in one trip, and 2. ate a [expletive] more than I typically would have because I was starving. Plus, when the grill was fine, I just watched football. Didn't feel the need to do any odds and ends around the house to keep moving/burning calories.

In short, now that I've stopped, I realized how much extra effort went into drinking and maintaining weight that I never really thought about. You could probably argue I had a problem, or at the very minimum had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. And, I wouldn't necessarily disagree. So, even without losing weight, it's been a postive thing to step back. And, like I said, the weight loss thing is a long term goal not one that I'm super focused on right now. Getting the booze out of the way is undoubtedly going to help over that longer time period.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

I didn't know/forgot you are diabetic.

When I quit alcohol for a month, it didnt do much for my weight either. You got a week extra. Similar but different-instead of chilling with a beer, I'd have ice cream or something. Also, oddly I was lethargic. I'd lounge around reading and go to bed earlier. Then again, i was dry in January- a naturally lethargic month.

No booze for a short term, inevitably something fills the void, either diet or lifestyle wise. I bet 10 weeks, then you'd see weight drop.

Had some positives to no alcohol. Better sleep quality
A bit better in the AM

But Yeah. you got this.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3

Yeah the lethargy is extremely odd. I told Mrs aw it’s like a car trying to climb a hill in 5th gear when it should be in 3rd.

I feel good. Feel strong. Can notice in the weight room that I’m a little stronger. So that’s good. But there were times when, like last thanksgiving for instance, my neighbor had a party the night before. I go over there. We stay up til like 4 am. Took probably 10 shots. Drank probably 10 beers. Woke up at 6:30 am and ran a couple miles. Then cook for the next 5-6 hours. Smoke the turkey, help with some inside stuff. Carve the turkey. Make a stock. Played football with the kids. All on 2 hours sleep and drinking all day. I was exhausted but had so much energy I couldn’t even sit down. Back to the car analogy it was like being in first gear. Didn’t have much power but no problem getting up that hill.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

https://www.verywellmind.com/is-this-no ... last-80197

article on withdrawal from alcohol.

Reactions vary, obviously because everyone is different, and had/have different alcohol baselines.

AW - I think the lack of energy when abstaining is related to some dopamine Pavlovian type thing we get from alcohol. Has to be, because as we know, alcohol itself is ultimately a depressant. Or even from the routine and construct of looking forward to it. Socializing, grilling, watching sports, raking leaves, or whatever you associate with drinking beer - it will be different and maybe even gloomy, something you don't relish, (produce energy), as much without. Which is kind of pathetic.

For example, I love/loathe running the gnarly trails up at Pere Marquette SP. My routine there usually includes a stop in Grafton or Alton for a beer and some food. When I am short on time, and unable to stop for a beer - I feel a little depressed about it. a void. lol.

Your example of drinking and having some gusto the next AM. The effect from the booze is you have to wake up to take leaks, and a dump - so you are up anyway, and sitting still or looking at your phone in a groggy state isn't that great - so fresh air and doing something is the cure. Recently, on a trip to Moab got up around 5AM for3 consecutive sunrises- this was after a lot of hiking, running and drinking the day/evening prior-The advantage/curse of having to piss. Since I wasn't at home, I had to wake up, and I couldn't sleepwalk to the can, and then back to bed.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I decided to join Move by BJC recently and was going to go by there after work today to get it done. I already got talked out of it before I even left for work this morning. Instead I just joined the South City YMCA. It is closer to home than anywhere else and I do like the basketball court being an option.

Plus the pool is a big draw for Rachel who wants to swim more and wanted me to join there instead of somewhere else so that she can start her membership there again and we can go together. We've only been dating for three weeks and she's already running my life.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Managed to make my first stop in at the YMCA yesterday and put in some time. Good lord I'm out of shape. My legs are still a little sore today so I am taking today off but I'll be back in there tomorrow morning before work. I still almost went in this morning but Mondays are bad for me. I need to get back into a routine. With not really having to work the past couple of weeks and being in Boston the week before Christmas, my morning routine is all messed up.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

i'm having problems getting motivated in the morning but i suspect the cold is partially to blame. ideally, i'd do my stretching and cardio routine in the morning before work (around 30 mins or so) then a stretching/weights routine after work (another 30 mins) but everytime i wake up (at least, during work days) i just want to sleep an extra 30 mins then head out. i still do the evening workout but have to rotate whether i do the the cardio or weight routine (cardio routine tonight). 1st world problem of course but its been bugging me that i can't get motivated for the morning portion...though i also don't want to beat myself up over it.