Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Michael
GRB Founder

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Michael »

Ugh I fell off the wagon and gained like 12 pounds. I'm getting back on track and I've lost a couple. The winter months are tough.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Michael wrote:
February 24 20, 4:33 pm
Ugh I fell off the wagon and gained like 12 pounds. I'm getting back on track and I've lost a couple. The winter months are tough.
Yep. I held it back this winter some vs last -but still my ROI for my eating exercise effort was not what it should be. I think it just part of my nature -hibernating winter metabolism.

Also, this season I end up doing more gym strength work. That isn't as effective for weight loss as my longer outdoor cardio stuff. But I go into spring with a good strength base. Infrastructure.

Longer days and warmer temps will help.

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Is BKs Impossible Whopper (vegetarian) a health food?

and the answer to that is no

I have had them a couple of times, because my daughter is vegetarian* and tag along for the ride somewhat. And -they are pretty good. I sensed they weren't healthy with all that bun and mayo etc, and yep -its 630 calories only 30 less than the regular. 34 grams of fat vs 40 on the reg.

Now 25 grams of protein vs 28, that is a good deal for my daughter. She is not struggling with weight, so in her case it is sort of healthy.

* once and while she eats bacon

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Freed Roger wrote:
February 25 20, 2:51 pm
Is BKs Impossible Whopper (vegetarian) a health food?

and the answer to that is no

I have had them a couple of times, because my daughter is vegetarian* and tag along for the ride somewhat. And -they are pretty good. I sensed they weren't healthy with all that bun and mayo etc, and yep -its 630 calories only 30 less than the regular. 34 grams of fat vs 40 on the reg.

Now 25 grams of protein vs 28, that is a good deal for my daughter. She is not struggling with weight, so in her case it is sort of healthy-ish form of protein. . She doesn't do the mayo on it.

* once and while she eats bacon

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Michael wrote:
February 24 20, 4:33 pm
I gained 10 lbs LAST WEEK
[SHOW]
...in Mexico

I went off Keto while there. Just wanted the real deal MX food experience. I'm also going to be off Keto while in Europe. I'm hoping to keep my weight balanced with all the walking though.

Just goes to show, I gotta be KetoForLife!

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I think, after years of being overweight (and very overweight) I've finally hit my floor where I am in maintenance mode. Hanging between 170-173, (well, 169.7 was my lowest) which puts me at around 15.3-16.3 bodyfat% on a given day.

Unless I become a professional athlete who can dig into macros and stuff more, I don't think I want to lose more weight. I've got a little wiggle room before the wrong macros leads to eating my own muscle, and I have built such consistent food and exercise routines and maintenance is fairly easy. My goal is to try to hang around 170-175, and never go over 180. Once I hit or exceed 175, I'll reduce calories a bit to get back. If I overtrain or under eat and start sneaking under 170, I'll be sure to raise calories a bit.

Now if I could only do something about the loose skin around my gut. Any suggestions?

Freed Roger

Post by Freed Roger »

Congratulations JC. definitely sounds like.you made a life change. What is a Macro, btw?
‐---‐------------
This is time of year where am at work a lot, regimented lifestyle and diet. But not as active outside of actual workouts. And it is the only time of year I am regularly at the gym. Amazing how much strength and gym work does for me, once I get over the hump. My running base seems to stay decent, even though I run about 1/4th I do when getting ready for a race.

As you get older, the cross train stuff is more important.

Regarding the gym, our rec center gym is closed for a few weeks of renovations, and they comping us to Clayton's gym. I still get a decent workout at this place they got it all *and more, but hard to get as much in -it is like shopping in a new grocery store.

* generally, I miss the ski erg, torturing myself on Jacob's ladder, and the sled. Those things are money.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Re: macros, I don't go too in depth, but basically staying within a range of calories, protein, fat and carbs each day. My personal goal is (now that I'm in maintenance mode) around 2350-2500 calories (more is okay if I do extra workouts-when I was aiming to lose weight the goal was around 2050-2250) 120-145g protein (I can go as low as 90g if I don't work out, but I tend to be pretty active) under 150g fat and under 150g carbs. (both soft caps)

My fancy phone app says in the last 30 days I've averaged around 2360 calories, 109 carbs, 145g fat and 131g protein per day.

I'm actually a bit more active now than Summer because I can walk more on lunches and breaks at work because it isn't super hot. I'll shovel in my lunch and get 45-55 min brisk walking in on lunch and 15 on my break no matter how cold, plus I've been doing a lot of extra walking/marching in place while doing dishes etc, and my normal workouts are 3x/week tkd, 3x/week calisthenics strength training (some exercises with my 45lbs ruck sack-pushups, dips and squats, lots of core work there too) and 1x/week walking/rucking. (I tend to get an additional walk/ruck in on one or two other days of the week depending on what's going on. Usually on weekends.

So its not crossfit exactly, but its a lot of natural movement, and lifting heavy, a good mix of stuff. Seems to work for me.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

No advice on the loose skin other than lots and lots of stomach crunches or surgery to remove it. I don't have much yet, but if I lost another 30 or 40 lbs I think it would start to get fairly noticeable.