Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Getting into shape

Post by JCShutout »

After all those 50 mile treks (and the training up for them), and getting down to 187 ish, had some vacation and ballooned up to 195, though I'm back on track at 192. (I had mostly been in a 188-192 range for awhile)

I'm possibly testing for 3rd Dan in late Oct, so i've decided 180lbs-184lbs is probably a good training/competition weight, and a reasonable weight to work towards for the next 3 months.

I could see 175-180 as my ideal training weight for competitions in the future, whereas 187-192 is my regular everyday life weight. We'll see.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

lost ~ 6lbs + of water weight on 1 hour easy run yesterday. Crazy land. I know it was hot and all, but I went later and it had a good warm breeze.

I haven't seen any articles on this, but I think since I've had heat exhaustion a few times before my brain remembers, body overreacts with the sweating.

And I am pretty sure sweat evaporating and cooling effect is minimal when fully saturated. Basically I am bathing in warm pissy water.

No big deal, I know this and plan accordingly. Have a race in late Aug I need to ramp up for, which will be a challenge in this heat.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Day 2 of the CrossFit games and my friend's daughter (Brooke Wells) is in 5th place overall after the first three events. That's much better than where she was at this point last year. She's finished 6th overall the past two years if I remember correctly so hopefully she can beat the this year and at least get into the top 5.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Back at under 189 and exactly 20% bodyfat today. Watch out last 5-10lbs, here I come.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Started lifting regularly. Morning workouts at Planet Fitness. Schedule change with our tae kwon do group has ended that hobby for now. I am trying to go 4 times per week, with different exercises M/W, and T/Th. Stretching, cardio, lifting is my routine. 3 sets of 10 of the variety of lifts I do.

Any suggestions on my approach? How often should I increase weight?

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Fat Strat wrote:Started lifting regularly. Morning workouts at Planet Fitness. Schedule change with our tae kwon do group has ended that hobby for now. I am trying to go 4 times per week, with different exercises M/W, and T/Th. Stretching, cardio, lifting is my routine. 3 sets of 10 of the variety of lifts I do.

Any suggestions on my approach? How often should I increase weight?
Humm. I am probably not your guy here. Do you want bulk? Then I definitely no help (unless it is midsection bulk-har har)
Genaralities:
Cardio, yeah maybe a little to loosen up at the start. But I prefer the main cardio at the end. Doing the cardio with already-fatiqued muscles is an endurance hack I ascribe to. It sort of replicates the final mile , or 15th round etc -without actually doing the 14 rounds of cardio. Kind of a beast.

A little cool down helps too, walk stretch etc.

I am in your age range-and find myself doing the 2 or 3 x10 rep thing. But I think it is too many reps for the big muscles (quads, pecs etc). Squats or lunges, I do 3 or 4 sets times 4 to 6 reps. A shoulder press type lift, 8 reps.

In a squat etc when you are doing sets of 10, then, when you get to that last rep or 2 tendency is to lose form, strain other muscles and hurt yourself.

Increasing weight? - I just wait until I am able to semi-recover from existing weight, and it seems easy enough to maintain without breaking form/straining for a week or two.

For example, my main strength lift is the squat. I haven't done it in 3 weeks. So I will start back in with 40lbs less than where I left off. And I will be hobbling from this. I stay there until the hobbled dissipates (at least a week for me) before working my way back up.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

As summer ends I definitely feel like I've turned a corner with my health. We put in a pretty extensive garden this year and while it was a ton of work it massively changed my diet. I've almost completely cut processed foods out at home. So no more canned and boxed stuff. We have been keeping dinner really simple, meat, greens, and maybe a baked potato. I've slimmed down about 25lbs this summer alone. I still have a long way to go, but I definitely see the way forward now.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Awesome, IMA!

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

IMADreamer wrote:As summer ends I definitely feel like I've turned a corner with my health. We put in a pretty extensive garden this year and while it was a ton of work it massively changed my diet. I've almost completely cut processed foods out at home. So no more canned and boxed stuff. We have been keeping dinner really simple, meat, greens, and maybe a baked potato. I've slimmed down about 25lbs this summer alone. I still have a long way to go, but I definitely see the way forward now.
Nice. I tend to go the other way during the summer (drink way more calories in beer at softball than I burn off playing) and sure enough I was talking to somebody last week and weight came up. I remembered that there is a scale in our building at work so I stopped by the area and weighed myself. 306.2 pounds. Not the heaviest I've been since I was 320 at some point but I've got to get that down.

I've been thinking about that weight since then and last night I decided to randomly search 'gyms near me' and found that there is now a new gym right by the Cortex Metrolink station called Move by BJC. I looked at their website and their prices aren't terrible. That is bar far the most convenient that a gym has ever been for me when considering my daily routine. I literally pass by the gym every single weekday on the train.

Their pricing isn't terrible and it is extremely convenient for me so I think I'm going to give them a try.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

tlombard wrote:
IMADreamer wrote:As summer ends I definitely feel like I've turned a corner with my health. We put in a pretty extensive garden this year and while it was a ton of work it massively changed my diet. I've almost completely cut processed foods out at home. So no more canned and boxed stuff. We have been keeping dinner really simple, meat, greens, and maybe a baked potato. I've slimmed down about 25lbs this summer alone. I still have a long way to go, but I definitely see the way forward now.
Nice. I tend to go the other way during the summer (drink way more calories in beer at softball than I burn off playing) and sure enough I was talking to somebody last week and weight came up. I remembered that there is a scale in our building at work so I stopped by the area and weighed myself. 306.2 pounds. Not the heaviest I've been since I was 320 at some point but I've got to get that down.

I've been thinking about that weight since then and last night I decided to randomly search 'gyms near me' and found that there is now a new gym right by the Cortex Metrolink station called Move by BJC. I looked at their website and their prices aren't terrible. That is bar far the most convenient that a gym has ever been for me when considering my daily routine. I literally pass by the gym every single weekday on the train.

Their pricing isn't terrible and it is extremely convenient for me so I think I'm going to give them a try.
It is not just a gym. I did a safety presentation the other day & Move was there presenting as well. Looks like a great place to get a fitness/health regimen going. Nice peeps as well.