Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
Sutter'sBeard wrote:I started working out again in January, shortly after my 40th birthday. It sucks getting old. After my first workout, I developed knee tendonitis. After about a month of that, I started getting shin splints in my other leg because I was favoring the bad knee. I hate that, mentally, I'm committed to getting in shape but my body is fighting me at every turn. I've lost 25lbs so far. 50 to go.
Awesome. Hopefully your legs don't break down on your any more. I have so much yet to lose but don't think about that. I just know that this is something I have to do and it's how I live now. The benefits are weightloss and feeling/looking better.
That, and I am looking forward to seeing my dupey again without a mirror. I'm pretty much the same way with my weight. I weigh in from time to time just to feel like I'm getting somewhere. It really doesn't matter how much weight I lose because I plan on still working out when I'm an ex-fat turd.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

jim wrote:
sense you are like me, get a bit OCD about excercising once you are in that mode.

Yep. Not only exercising, alot of things I'm like that. I just did 100 situps in my office because today was my core day and that's what I wimped out on and I felt guilty about it.
I have heard that for folk that are really into conditioning, (sounds like you are)- that in addition to the layoff/recuperation day during a week, that every 6 weeks or so you should plan for a good 4-6 day layoff.

I've never been to that level where I've had to force a layoff. But a couple times I was geared up/in shape (at least by my standards) for some 5/10Ks, and after they were done I didn't work out for several days. Then when I started running again after the layoff, my times were better than ever (at least my slow version of better than ever).

So tie yourself to the couch and watch a cardinal game.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Freed Roger wrote:
jim wrote:
sense you are like me, get a bit OCD about excercising once you are in that mode.

Yep. Not only exercising, alot of things I'm like that. I just did 100 situps in my office because today was my core day and that's what I wimped out on and I felt guilty about it.
I have heard that for folk that are really into conditioning, (sounds like you are)- that in addition to the layoff/recuperation day during a week, that every 6 weeks or so you should plan for a good 4-6 day layoff.

I've never been to that level where I've had to force a layoff. But a couple times I was geared up/in shape (at least by my standards) for some 5/10Ks, and after they were done I didn't work out for several days. Then when I started running again after the layoff, my times were better than ever (at least my slow version of better than ever).

So tie yourself to the couch and watch a cardinal game.

Going to Ireland next week. I've already planned my workouts around this week off.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

I find that if every now and then if I take 5-6 days off drinking, I come back able to throw back even more booze than before

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

cards2468 wrote:I find that if every now and then if I take 5-6 days off drinking, I come back able to throw back even more booze than before
You don't want to go too long w/o drinking.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

Fat_Bulldog wrote:
cards2468 wrote:I find that if every now and then if I take 5-6 days off drinking, I come back able to throw back even more booze than before
You don't want to go too long w/o drinking.
I haven't had a drink in 5 days. An entire 5th of bourbon over the course of a couple hours proved to be too much for me and today is the first day since Sunday night that I don't feel hung over.

TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart

Post by TheoSqua »

I'm planning on starting next week to get into shape. I've hit all of my "starvation diet" (250 pounds, have to suck my gut in to see my junk when looking down, 40 inch jeans, stuff like that) triggers, so now it's time to get off the gravy train and get into shape.

I'm gonna hate it.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

I hate the first few days of working out. I wish I'd never stopped though this time I do have knee surgery as an excuse.

Hudler
All-Star

Post by Hudler »

I threw out my back trying to assemble my new treadmill...getting old sucks ass.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Hudler wrote:I threw out my back trying to assemble my new treadmill...getting old sucks ass.
Please tell me you are not seriously hurt so I can laugh my ass off. I mean it's not funny, but damn that's kind of ironically funny. But not .. getting hurt is not funny.