Getting into shape

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Re: Getting into shape

Post by JCShutout »

Keep at it tlombard! I really do think that movement begets movement. In October I committed to an hour of physical activity per day (minimum). I started by just walking a couple of days a week, (other workouts 4-5 days/week) and now I only just walk on my worst day, every few weeks when I'm just swamped. I recently did one of those crazy endurance events. (Go Ruck Tough) The few days leading up to it, I did lighter work and my body felt antsy and I was bouncing off the walls. The day of, I had planned on not walking or doing anything to rest up since the event started at 9pm and promised to be long and grueling. I got so antsy on lunch that I went on a walk anyways. The body just wants to move.

Its kinda like my experience eating paleo. The more you eat that way strictly, the more you don't crave non paleo foods anymore, which in turn makes it easier to eat strictly paleo. What looks like discipline from the outside really isn't. If I don't do something physical for an hour a day, I don't feel right.

And we talk here (myself included) about crazy workouts, but if you're just beginning and/or hate exercise, find a way to walk an hour a day. Even if its in 10 or 15 minute stretches. You can listen to music or audiobooks or podcasts if that helps. Find pretty trails and architecture in your area. Humans were made to walk.

Hate running (ME!) but want the benefits of it plus muscle gain? Go for a walk with a weight in your backpack. (Trending word for that is "Rucking" if you want to google around)

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Rucking eh? I used to walk my dog sometimes with 30lb bp. a nice workout hack, I should start that up again.

JC-you'd be a candidate for trail races. You don't like running. but you could find some narcissistic ones that have a lot of climbing, and generally require a pack for hydration and essentials. Or better yet, do some rec but ambitious backpacking -have fun/adventure with that hard earned fitness.

Another idea -orienteering. I haven't done it but several friends do. requires some navigational skills, endurance and ability to handle gnarly terrain. Friend I would ran trails with point out these steep ravines he said he had to traverse to hit a waypoint.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Nah, I'm awful at running. Like 8:30/9:00 min mile bad. The climbing bits would be fine, but I just hate running. I can sprint okay, but I just don't run other than springing in occasional HIIT. I'd rather walk (or ruck) 50 miles than run for 20. Plus, calling them "narcissistic" races makes me feel great about myself, lol.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Except for elites on the trail races, throw the pace talk out the window. the hardest one i did was in Red river Gorge KY for 50k. up and down the gorge 9 times I think -650 ft up each time..hardly any running on those ups. The downs were not easy either -wet roots and sliding down rocks on my arse.

Yeah-you do need to run when you can, so maybe not your thing.
took me 7 hours -about 13 half min pace overall and it was a good race for me. my fastest miles were in 9 min range, my slowest mile was 20 mins. It humbles( along with the brag).
winner was 2 hours ahead last place 3 hours behind me. but i beat my brother by half hour who I usually cant beat.

Anyways -after all that blah blah blah - my point is, if you are good at rucking- I'd be all over hiking the Ozark Trail this time of year etc with a BP. Doesn't have to be an event or competition, but I do them sometimes to learn and commit, etc

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Now that we're close to softball season (my work league starts tonight after being rained out last Monday) does walking about a mile to the fields with a backpack containing my laptop for work, personal tablet, cleats, glove clothes from work and an 18 pack of Budweiser count as rucking?

I'll be doing that every Tuesday and Thursday from next week until the third weekend in August when we have our end of season tournament (always the Saturday before the Festival of Nations). The problem is that we drink too much before, during and after our softball games. I take in way more empty calories than I burn during our games.

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

Walking with any weight is considered rucking, so yes, but you have to use your practical wisdom to know if you're really challenging yourself. I would guess that 18 beers plus other gear would make a pretty solid rucking weight, though a mile isn't very far.

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

Took months off lifting weights due to a shoulder injury from BJJ training. First day back and still put up a 450# deadlift without killing myself. Strength can hold on for months while cardio shape can deteriorate after mere weeks. Only weigh 210 right now. hope to get up to 225 if I can stay healthy.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

MAGA wrote:Took months off lifting weights due to a shoulder injury from BJJ training. First day back and still put up a 450# deadlift without killing myself. Strength can hold on for months while cardio shape can deteriorate after mere weeks. Only weigh 210 right now. hope to get up to 225 if I can stay healthy.
I'll give you a few pounds. I'll even let you pick where to cut it off me. I recommend my beer belly or moobs. They're pretty impressive.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Swole

MAGA
All-Star

Post by MAGA »

tlombard wrote:
MAGA wrote:Took months off lifting weights due to a shoulder injury from BJJ training. First day back and still put up a 450# deadlift without killing myself. Strength can hold on for months while cardio shape can deteriorate after mere weeks. Only weigh 210 right now. hope to get up to 225 if I can stay healthy.
I'll give you a few pounds. I'll even let you pick where to cut it off me. I recommend my beer belly or moobs. They're pretty impressive.
I don't use steroids, so it's not going to be 225 of solid iron. It's impossible to put on only good weight at a certain point, so you bulk and take the bad with the good, then do your best to cut the bad off without losing strength. Gonna be pretty moonfaced for a bit but lipids are in check so it's fine.