Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Freed Roger »

Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 7:07 pm
Freed Roger wrote:
March 3 21, 5:36 pm
I was no pain- no gain type my entire life.
I was the same in my 20's.

A lot of modern fitness experts have moved away from old school weight lifting. Obviously if you want to bulk up you gotta do it, but the vast majority of people like me are way better served by doing stuff like like Pilates. Not only do you activate and strengthen tons of important core muscles that standard old school lifting struggles with, but you also gain balance, flexibility and range of motion. All those things serve you really well as your body ages. Also, if done properly, Pilates has a lower impact to your body compared to other workout techniques, so the risk of injury is lower. Another nice benefit is it's something you can do at home without a lot of equipment. You just need a floor and a mat.

My wife goes to a Pilates studio at my gym and it's full of old men working on their backs and professional athletes (Bear, Blackhwks, etc). It's really amazing stuff. I know in my future I'm going to do some lifting like deadlifts, but I don't really foresee myself doing stuff like bench presses.
that makes sense. with weights, progress ends up being about #s for most people, men especially. the body weight type stuff from pilates yoga planks etc changes focus from that rat race.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Re: Getting into shape

Post by Freed Roger »

Michael wrote:
March 3 21, 7:07 pm
Freed Roger wrote:
March 3 21, 5:36 pm
I was no pain- no gain type my entire life.
I was the same in my 20's.
Oh, I would say I was taking it easy, but really i wasn't. or it would go off the rails. it wasnt until i started Heart Rate Training - in my case -keepingr about 80% of my runs under 133 Bpm -that I realized I was pushing way too hard even on easy or recovery runs. I do need to look at my watch HR though to keep my self leashed.

The days I run harder, I am surprised how i feel semi-decent.
SUP is easy HR cardio mostly, with occassional muscle rep fatique - so I do work on shoulder strength. and core.